Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Beginner Questions about Auto Care Products

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:39 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginner Questions about Auto Care Products

Hi all.

Please excuse the beginner questions, but I have been reading this section of the forum for a couple of hours and I am very confused about which products to use and how some of these products interact with each other. I just took delivery of a PW/B Clubman and want to keep it looking good!

Hydro - I understand that I would use this as I dry off the car. Purpose: brilliant shine; helps between waxings. CAN I USE THIS ON BOTH PAINTED AND TRIM SURFACES? Will it leave a white residue on the trim over time? (I do have lots of peanut butter!)

Wax - I plan on using Meguiar's Cleaner-Wax. Is it ok to use a "cleaner-wax" on the paint? I should not use this on the trim, correct?

303 - I already use this for my hot tub cover. I now understand I can use it on the MINI interior, but I have read that it doesn't last that long on exterior trim. (makes me think it might not be the best product for my hot tub cover (?).

Ice Car Wash - Just picked up a bottle.

Glass Cleaner (?). My new MINI seems to have a film on the exterior glass. I have tried to remove it with Windex, but it doesn't seem to be coming off. Any suggestions? Also, is there any reason not to use Rain-x on the glass?

Wheel Wax - I have seen wax supposedly made to last with the heat around the wheels. Is this necessary or can I just use up my old turtle wax or Meguiar's Cleaner-Wax?

Also:
- I have a bottle of "Satin Gloss Ultra High Gloss" which was given to my by a friend who swears by it for the exterior of his Mooney airplane. It says it is a "filler glaze" which is a blend of Carnuba Wax and Emulsifiers. Is anyone familiar with this product?

- Am I correct in thinking that if I choose a product like Satin Gloss which contains a natural wax vs a synthetic wax, it affect my ability to use products like Hydro? (ie: synthetics will not bond with natural wax?)

Thanks! (This forum is awesome!)

Last edited by richs10; 06-28-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:05 AM
lotsie
Banned
Hydro - I understand that I would use this as I dry off the car. Purpose: brilliant shine; helps between waxings. CAN I USE THIS ON BOTH PAINTED AND TRIM SURFACES? Will it leave a white residue on the trim over time? (I do have lots of peanut butter!)

Yes you can, no it won't.

Wax - I plan on using Meguiar's Cleaner-Wax. Is it ok to use a "cleaner-wax" on the paint? I should not use this on the trim, correct?

Yes it's OK, no don't use it on the trim. I would clay the paint first though.

303 - I already use this for my hot tub cover. I now understand I can use it on the MINI interior, but I have read that it doesn't last that long on exterior trim. (makes me think it might not be the best product for my hot tub cover (?).

Works great on the interior. Use Black Wow on the exterior.

Ice Car Wash - Just picked up a bottle.

I use it, and like it a lot

Glass Cleaner (?). My new MINI seems to have a film on the exterior glass. I have tried to remove it with Windex, but it doesn't seem to be coming off. Any suggestions? Also, is there any reason not to use Rain-x on the glass?

First, don't use anything with ammonia in it. I'm a firm believer that what is important is the cloth you use. Get one of these from DP.

This amazing microfiber cloth is so effective at cleaning glass that often a glass cleaner chemical isn't even necessary. It features a very low-pile cut in a zigzag pattern which literally attracts and removes off-gassing, residue, smudges and oily finger prints. Its efficient cleaning action is truly a time saver. After sampling dozens of similar glass cleaning cloths, we quickly awarded 1st place to this amazing cloth. It undoubtedly stands out from the rest.

Wheel Wax - I have seen wax supposedly made to last with the heat around the wheels. Is this necessary or can I just use up my old turtle wax or Meguiar's Cleaner-Wax?

It won't last if it can't with stand the heat. Get some of this, again from DP.

Prima Wheel Armour (Previously known as Wheel Shield) is a powerful wheel cleanser and durable sealant- all in one bottle. During development, our primary goal with Wheel Armour was amazing heat resistance. What we ended up with was a serious defender against brake dust.

The product is so easy to use. It is literally wipe on/wipe off for sealing. Direct sun is not an issue. Wheel Armour applies and removes with ease in all conditions. Super-polymer protection means your wheels stay cleaner longer and clean up easier. A harsh wheel cleaner will no longer be necessary when you use Wheel Armour to protect your wheels.

Wheel Armour also contains some powerful cleaners which mean light tar and road gunk will easily lift as you protect. Of course, you will want to thoroughly clean your wheels of basic loose dirt and gunk prior to using Wheel Armour, but no need to worry about tough brake dust. It is the stuck on gunk that Wheel Armour removes best. It is safe for all wheel types including painted, polished and anodized.

Prima Wheel Armour will clean, shine, polish and protect in one easy step.

Also:
- I have a bottle of "Satin Gloss Ultra High Gloss" which was given to my by a friend who swears by it for the exterior of his Mooney airplane. It says it is a "filler glaze" which is a blend of Carnuba Wax and Emulsifiers. Is anyone familiar with this product?

- Am I correct in thinking that if I choose a product like Satin Gloss which contains a natural wax vs a synthetic wax, it affect my ability to use products like Hydro? (ie: synthetics will not bond with natural wax?)

Hydro may not adhere for as long a time, but you are going to be putting it on every time you wash your MINI, and if your like the gang that hangs out on this forum, you will be washing often enough it won't have time to wear off.

Mark

Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Mark,

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Another newby educated!
Your info is great and I feel like I'm on the right track from the start!

Rich

Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 AM
lotsie
Banned
I'm no scholar, but I can copy and paste with the best of them.

As to the Gentleman part, we are all ladies and gentlemen on this forum.

Yes sounds like you are on the right track, just keep reading this forum, and as far as questions go, we NEVER say do a search here, as we love to yak about detailing, over and over and over...

Mark

Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 AM
richs10
5th Gear
I placed an order over at Detailers Paradise.
Nice site. But I could get in trouble with my credit card over there!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you can get in trouble at DP with your credit card (and heather and nick would appreciate it )

Just to pick out a couple of things to mention more detail on...

Hydro - a little goes a long way - a couple of squirts per body panel on a wet car or just one for a dry car (as a quick detailer)

I haven't used the Turtle ICE stuff but really like Prima Mystique (but then again I probably need a Prima 12 step program)

Glass cleaner - I'm using Clarity right now but I also really like Stoners that's usually available locally.

Also, I have a bottle of P21S Total Auto Wash that I use for pre wax cleaning and for the engine bay that I really like - very useful and versatile stuff.

You didn't mention clay (unless I missed it). I would definitely clay before waxing. I have used the white Meguiar's stuff that comes in a package with QD and it works well. I am currently using the blue Meg's clay that I got from OctaneGuy that's a little stronger but still paint safe.

Hope that helps and didn't re-muddy the waters. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:18 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Re: MINI Claymation

Thanks Cadfael_tex.

About claying the car: Since it is brand new, should I do this now or 6 mos down the road? And how often should one clay the paint?

I guess I am very old school. When I was a teen-driver with a lot of energy, I used to compound my car before I waxed it. It sounds like compounding has fallen from fashion now. Before reading this thread, I admit I had never heard of using clay.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Sorry, one more question.

I am contemplating getting the clear bra for the hood and bumper. From what I have read, I am supposed to care for it just like it was the paint. Is this correct? Would I clay the clear bra too?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Can't help you with the clear bra but I would recommend clay. Even on a new car there's contaminents from sitting on the yards along the way, in mini's on the ship, etc. It's really easy to do and gives a nice, smooth as glass finish to start your wax etc on.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:19 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Hydro has Epic in it but is made differently. It is designed to bind to Epic. I would guess though that it would also stick to regular waxes. I would also wonder however if it would gum up or weaken a completely different wax.

DP has new banana wax with a lot of carnauba. I wish I could try it, but I have 90% of a bottle of epic and stuff gets too expensive after a while to keep flipping.

I agree ! Claybar is the most important step after a thorough wash when you get your car. You use that with some sort of Clay Bar lube like DP sells (I use it) Or you use your detailing spray that matches your wax. You definitely can clay the clear bra. I would just not get near the seems as it might get stuck or something else more icky.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:50 PM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
hey we dont wash our cars often here...do we???? doesnt everyone else get up, eat breakfast, wash the car, take a shower, and then go to work every day like i do??

Old 06-28-2008, 06:56 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by andrewholmes
hey we dont wash our cars often here...do we???? doesnt everyone else get up, eat breakfast, wash the car, take a shower, and then go to work every day like i do??
Hey, remember the rules, we don't mention certain things By the way, you don't shower first, then wash the MINI

Mark

Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
And you eat breakfast FIRST, before washing the Mini, Egads man, where are your priorities?!?!?!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:06 PM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
i have to eat breakfst first. i get up at 4am and the neighbours dont like when i start the polisher before 5

Old 06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
oh and i must say...HECK of a shine on the car

Old 06-28-2008, 08:06 PM
richs10
5th Gear
i have to eat breakfst first. i get up at 4am and the neighbours dont like when i start the polisher before 5

This noob is getting scared.......very scared!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the meguiar's cleaner wax, if that is carnuba, wouldn't it be better not to hydro, which is a synthetic, on top of carnuba[-based wax?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 AM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
thats a good point. i dont know if it is a carnuba or not. i only have a small bottle at home ( havnt used it yet, was hinking trying it on the door jams and such ) Anyhoo it doesnt say what it is on my bottle.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 AM
lotsie
Banned
I have put Hydro on top of Banana Gas, which does have a blend of synthetic and carnuba, and it worked fine.

Because you are applying Hydro every time you wash, durability is not a big issue, unless you go weeks without washing

Mark

Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 AM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
WOW!!! weeks without washing?!?!?!....are you allowed to do that even? Wont the wheels fall of or something?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:10 AM
lotsie
Banned
WOW!!! weeks without washing?!?!?!....are you allowed to do that even? Wont the wheels fall of or something?
They may, but it really plays havoc with the muffler bearings

Mark

Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 AM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
my muffler bearings used to make a funny noise too when i didnt wash often enough so i tried tightening up the flugal binders and problem solved.

(lol...this is getting weird now )

Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
lotsie
Banned
my muffler bearings used to make a funny noise too when i didnt wash often enough so i tried tightening up the flugal binders and problem solved.

(lol...this is getting weird now )
Your still kinda new to the detailing forum, most threads do get weird once the original question has been answered. But we kind of like it that way

Mark

Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 AM
andrewholmes
4th Gear
actually i have a quick question for you mark. I am planning on adding some more graphics to herman ( bonnett stripes and maybe the side numbers ) and wanted to know 1 - since i am going to do a complete detail can i get as far as swirl remover befor i put them on, then amogo anf epic over? 2 - since there is like 1 billion coats of polish and wax on herman, how do i know if i have it off so the new vinyl will stick?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 AM
lotsie
Banned
actually i have a quick question for you mark. I am planning on adding some more graphics to herman ( bonnett stripes and maybe the side numbers ) and wanted to know 1 - since i am going to do a complete detail can i get as far as swirl remover befor i put them on, then amogo anf epic over? 2 - since there is like 1 billion coats of polish and wax on herman, how do i know if i have it off so the new vinyl will stick?
If you use a solution of 50/50 alcohol(not beer) and water, mixed in a spray bottle, you can spray a couple of spritzes of the mix, and wipe with a MF towel. Do about a 1-2 foot area at a time, this will remove wax/polish.

As to how far to go before the strips, you can do the complete job, all the way to wax, the strips will stick, then just add more wax on the strips after.

Mark