DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

[Sun, Apr 13th @ 9.45am] CUMBERLAND VALLEY MOUNTAIN RUN

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian0758
Maxicooper drove a little to far on the park road and met some nice secret service guys that were not happy to see him. He comments about his experience on a couple of his prior posts.
It is a kind of experience (that I really don't want to have).

Me (the 17th of 17 knights of Cumberland) were working my way up the "High Rock", the meeting place, to wait for other 16 knights to arrive.
Since it was my first time to go up there and the road was so nice and twisty, I enjoy hitting the twisites so much and drove pass the "High Rock" and didn't pay attention to the sign "NO TRESPASSING, Goverment Area, DO NOT ENTER".

I drove (spiritly) almost 2 miles into the restricted area without even notice that I was already in trouble, I was being watched . What a fun road, twisties and no traffic. ......... until I saw road block and 2 well armed secret service stood right in the middle of the road waiting.

I was surprised and wondered if the "High Rock" was closed or something, so I asked them where was the place. They said I drove pass the place already and asked if I saw the big white sign back where I came from.

To make story short, I had to give all my information, driver license, registration, etc., before they let me get back on the road.

Not even a smile or say "Have a nice day" or "Drive carefully".

Oh, well ........ from now I'm gonna be under government surveillance.

"Thou Shalt Not Go Beyond That Gate (eventhough it's wide open)"

Last edited by Maxicooper; 04-13-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
Pack your bags - you could be heading for a long Caribbean vacation!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 PM
T&CMCSa
4th Gear
Chris,

It is a good thing you had the family with you or that might have been the last time anyone saw you!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
I missed one picture from the previous post, Wensleydale and our award-winning sweeper (Golden Blooming Award), Hynohealer.

Sine the event was so goooood. Could Rab makes it an annual event?
Second Sunday in April every year.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 04-13-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:20 AM
MrMellowYellow
4th Gear
Just to be clear...Maxicooper missed THIS sign!

Glenn

Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 AM
MiniPol
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrMellowYellow
Just to be clear...Maxicooper missed THIS sign!

Glenn
Or what about this one that was on the left side of the road ? (We love ya Chris, we just have a strange way of showing it !)

Attached Thumbnails [Sun, Apr 13th @ 9.45am] CUMBERLAND VALLEY MOUNTAIN RUN-hel4151526905.jpg  
Old 04-14-2008, 04:50 AM
MrMellowYellow
4th Gear
Yeah, we're just teasing you, Chris. I would've missed that sign as well. Odd that the back entrance is so close to a public area and there isn't a large gate with noticable signs.

g.

Last edited by MrMellowYellow; 04-14-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Thank you all for the kind words, I was surprised at the near total lack of

any traffic to contend with and every church we passed had not let out

yet(whew!).

To everyone who paid me up front for the buffet it seems that I asked for

.61 cents too much. If it is ok with everyone I will put that extra money

($12.81) in an envelope and give it to one of the club's officers at the

Sat. breakfast. Hope to see everyone soon. Good Day.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 AM
wolf617
4th Gear
You can give my change to Glenn.
I still owe him $.35 for his weather work on my runs.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:04 AM
MrMellowYellow
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minirab

To everyone who paid me up front for the buffet it seems that I asked for

.61 cents too much. If it is ok with everyone I will put that extra money

($12.81) in an envelope and give it to one of the club's officers at the

Sat. breakfast. Hope to see everyone soon. Good Day.
How about spending that money on donuts, cake or a pie (from cozy?!) for the Tate breakfast?

Thanks for the great run, Rab!

g.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
yea, i knew, but i assumed it was for more tips or something, and i also didnt have any change and didnt care. you can do what you want with it.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:10 AM
MrMellowYellow
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wolf617
Actually, I think that the $.35 was for me to stay away from your run since I attracted snow. Ed's the magician when it comes to weather.

But like I was telling you yesterday, as "Winter Barbarella" (my car) attacted snow, "Summer Barbarella" is all about sunshine! You'll now be paying me to attend events! Summer rates go up to $.38.

I'll start your tabs.

Glenn

Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 AM
MiniPol
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wolf617
A BRILLIANT idea ... I owe Glenn $.35 for not showing up that one time as well !

Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 AM
ccc777
2nd Gear
Okay, this thread has been too funny and fun to read !!! Yes, two thumbs up to Rab for a run very well done! I was amazed with all the twisties and lack of traffic. Eric and I had a blast, although I had to hang onto my seat for dear life several times, praying there wouldn't be an oncoming car around the next bend (at the speed we were going) ! Yes, the run/scenery, Mini folks and food were all GREAT.

You missed it Katie, Haemish, and Alan. Maybe next time ! And Chris-I'm glad you and your family got out of there in one piece . Wow, scary, but funny! That picture Glenn created is hilarious!!

Christine

Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
MrMellowYellow
4th Gear
Here are some photos of the award presenation.

1) Rab announces special award.

2) Rab surprises Ed that he's the recipient!

3) Ed accepts the "Golden Sweeper" Award.

Congrads, Ed!

Glenn

Old 04-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Congrats.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hypnohealer
Sorry you're hurtin', Katie. We'll try to cheer you up. Rab led a terrific run, and I think we had a world record number of miles without interlopers, slow traffic and LEOs! Plus we also had a great amount of air time... thank goodness for strut tower defenders

One of the best runs I've been on Great route choices, good reassembly points, minimal left turns, great scenery, good communication and pretty much everybody kept up the pace so nobody got left behind. That was REALLY nice

Had some new faces show up, made some new friends, motored like madmen, and had a terrific time. Oh yeah... great food... can't forget that! It doesn't get much better than that!

Thanks, Rab for doing a great job (as always) and also for the surprise award. I'll do my best to keep earning it, and will proudly display it every chance I get

~Ed
Echo that ! Way to go RAB !

Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Actually, I think that the $.35 was for me to stay away from your run since I attracted snow. Ed's the magician when it comes to weather.

But like I was telling you yesterday, as "Winter Barbarella" (my car) attacted snow, "Summer Barbarella" is all about sunshine! You'll now be paying me to attend events! Summer rates go up to $.38.

I'll start your tabs.

Glenn

Since the Moon is really made of cheeze......and Wensley's all about being cheezy, should we tempt fate and try a midnight run

Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpitfireMkI
Since the Moon is really made of cheeze......and Wensley's all about being cheezy, should we tempt fate and try a midnight run
+1. As I was following you on the last part of the run yesterday, reading your tag frame about the moon being made of cheese, the same thought crossed my mind... about Wensleydale being cheesy that is j/k

Great fun following you, Leona and Wensley dancing down the road, using all the available tarmac to enhance the enjoyment of the run! I'm still editing the video, and will try to do justice to Mr. Cheese in the final cut. Of course, this is my first attempt at this, so future efforts will show marked improvement (I hope) I just hope it doesn't come out looking like Cheeze Whiz

Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 AM
T&CMCSa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
If it is ok with everyone I will put that extra money

($12.81) in an envelope and give it to ...
If I could make one more suggestion about the extra money, how about giving it to Glen and the organizers of the June 1st picnic. They could use all the help they can get to pull off, what everyone hopes will be, the largest event in DCMM history.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM
MrMellowYellow
4th Gear
Originally Posted by T&CMCSa
If I could make one more suggestion about the extra money, how about giving it to Glen and the organizers of the June 1st picnic. They could use all the help they can get to pull off, what everyone hopes will be, the largest event in DCMM history.
Wow! Thank you! The thought is appreciated.

I don't think we should be taking any money yet, though. Things are still being worked out financially and so we're not sure if we'll need extra or not.

But thank you for thinking of us!

g.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Pazuzu
2nd Gear
Great time!

It was a pleasure meeting all at the run yesterday, I was impressed how smoothly everything went and also impressed with the great pace we were able to keep up ( I'm glad I didn't hold you all up on my first ride out with the club). Thanks Ed for helping me out with the radio. The run was great fun, you are all so knowledgable on the MINI, I look forward to talking to all in the future! Great photos too!

Mark.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll start your tabs.

Glenn
In that case, we need you to join us next weekend for the Spring Fling (Naked Edition), sunshine and mild weather is a must for this one!

Originally Posted by ccc777
Okay, this thread has been too funny and fun to read !!! Yes, two thumbs up to Rab for a run very well done! I was amazed with all the twisties and lack of traffic. Eric and I had a blast, although I had to hang onto my seat for dear life several times, praying there wouldn't be an oncoming car around the next bend (at the speed we were going) ! Yes, the run/scenery, Mini folks and food were all GREAT.

You missed it Katie, Haemish, and Alan. Maybe next time ! And Chris-I'm glad you and your family got out of there in one piece . Wow, scary, but funny! That picture Glenn created is hilarious!!

Christine
HEY! Stop rubbing it in.... I know we missed a good run . If there is a "redo" of this one, I'll certainly be there!! I'm glad you guys had such a great time

Here are some photos of the award presenation.

3) Ed accepts the "Golden Sweeper" Award.

Congrads, Ed!

Glenn
Congrats Ed! Let's see... weren't we just recently saying that the sweeper needed a broom?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Great to meet you, too! I hope you'll join us this Saturday for the Tate breakfast and spirited little lunch run afterwards.

~Ed

Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scavenger
Congrats Ed! Let's see... weren't we just recently saying that the sweeper needed a broom?
Thanks everybody! How in the heck am I supposed to mount the award on Dr. P? Please help
Hint: duct tape will NOT be part of the successful method

And thanks again to you, Rab, for a great run and totally catching me off guard. Now EVERYBODY'S going to want to sweep! It's really the best place to be to watch all the action!

Quick Reply: [Sun, Apr 13th @ 9.45am] CUMBERLAND VALLEY MOUNTAIN RUN