Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Tirewarmer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July FasTrack is Posted - All BS and GS MINIs to DS Proposal

http://scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/07...full-final.pdf

SOLO STOCK CATEGORY

The following class change proposals are submitted for member review:
o Move the listings for the variants of the Mini Cooper S which are currently in G Stock to D Stock.
o Move the listing for the Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works package which is currently in B Stock to D Stock.
The following new class listing is proposed and submitted here for member review:
o Mini Cooper S Works GP package: DS

Send in your letters now if you don't want to see this go through. I'm not sure that the JCW or GP cars would have a chance anyway with the 17 and 18" wheels, but who knows.

Last edited by Tirewarmer; 06-20-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tirewarmer
http://scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/07...full-final.pdf

SOLO STOCK CATEGORY

The following class change proposals are submitted for member review:
o Move the listings for the variants of the Mini Cooper S which are currently in G Stock to D Stock.
o Move the listing for the Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works package which is currently in B Stock to D Stock.
The following new class listing is proposed and submitted here for member review:
o Mini Cooper S Works GP package: DS

Send in your letters now if you don't want to see this go through. I'm not sure that the JCW or GP cars would have a chance anyway with the 17 and 18" wheels, but who knows.
Joe

Yeah, your right, the JCW and GP's would get slaughtered on the 17's and 18's with no torque and no tires that fit for the GP. The thing I am really worried about is the JCW MCS for 2008. If its placed in DS, the 05-06 and 07 MCS will surely be obsolete. This is also going to open up a class of crappy cars for GS. Once the 07 is developed, it would be top dog in DS in my opinion and the Integra and BMW's will be obsolete and it will simply create another Mini class, so, there is no reason for them to do this since in one season things will be back to the way they are now with a Mini class, the only difference is, GS will be tons slower with crap cars IMHO. This is a big bummer, write your letters now.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 PM
nygaard
3rd Gear
Just remember - the JCW from BS is a seperate proposal from the GS Minis to DS, so just because one happens doesn't mean the other will. If you are writing letters, write them accordingly.

I think that all the Mini Cooper S's should be together, and they either need to speed up DS or slow down GS - either way the 07 MCS should be a very competitive car for the class. I think having the Mini classed competitively will always prove a challenge because every year it seems like they come out with a factory option that makes that year the car to have, or makes the classing difficult. It's not too different, but just different enough to cause problems.

Jake

Old 06-21-2007, 08:15 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Meh, doesn't change much.

Saw that coming a *mile* away.

It'll be easy enough to replace my G with a D

and

add

a

P

Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 PM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
We honestly ordered our R56 knowing it was bound for DS. I'm more disappointed that the R56 isn't pulling away from the R53! Damn that Savini and Eric in his Sentra! I'm not concluding a darn thing from the DC Pro, but it does put a notch in the R53 belt for still being a true contender. But we chose this path because it makes my wife REALLY happy to be back in a Mini Cooper and it makes a GREAT daily driver!

I'll still compete in DS at least until one of two things happen. 1. It becomes a dog if it can't compete with the Integras or BMWs (not likely) or 2. I hurry up and buy another '06 Miata (I still have 18" wheels and suspension for our future SM2 car). Even so, we'll just have two race cars because the R56 will always be nationally competitive IMO.

d

Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GRMPer
Meh, doesn't change much.

Saw that coming a *mile* away.

It'll be easy enough to replace my G with a D

and

add

a

P

lol, sweet, I would love to see it happen.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Louie B.
3rd Gear
That settles it, I'll just wait to order my Mini until '08 and get the factory JCW package that'll be available by then. :P

*come on JCW to DS rule!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
MattMan
Coordinator :: Minis Under the Arches (Oct 25-28)
It'll be interesting if the letters are pouring in like last year. I dunno, I doesn't sound like most people are too upset this time around. Looks like the R56 owners a confident enough that it could compete in DS just fine. I'm very surprised that the GP is also in consideration for DS.... That is a low production specialty car, those usually NEVER get classed with the high production counterpart. Even the Mazdaspeed Protege didn't get classed lower, due to the "low production" standpoint.

Any bets on what's going to happen?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
amaptn2
1st Gear
Do not make any assumptions. This is up for member comment, so send in your fact based comments.
I for one have driven a Type R, and let me say the a "real" helical gear (Torsen type) differential makes all the difference in the world.
Yes, the Mazdaspeed 3 is heavy, but horspower and a good differential make make up for a lot of weight.
I'm waiting to have a couple more events under my belt to send in my comments, but in the mean time I'm gathering facts.
I think it should stay in G.
Mike Potocki

Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
After driving mine for 4 events, I'd say it definitely still belongs in GS. I think it is course dependant as well, sometimes the 07 will be a slight edge overdog in GS, sometimes the 05-06 will have a slight edge. It definitelty makes for fun competition and I would hate to see it moved and it really doesn't make sense
. I will post more in depth later, but, my initial thoughts after having a few events under my belt say that the 07 is a perfect fit for GS. Who knows, by seasons end my opinion could change though once the car is tuned.

As far as the GP, its on 18's, won't stand a chance in Solo in GS or DS IMHO. The JCW is married to 17's, not sure about that one now that the 07 MCS doesn't seem to have the edge that we once thought they would.

This issue certainly is far from decided. I agree with Mike, wait to write your letters until the end of the season, there is no hurry and they won't make a decision until a bit after Nationals in September. Letters now with no statistical backing have less merit than a letter later with actual real world comparisons.

Last edited by OasisT; 07-03-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:54 PM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
My prediction is that they're gonna stick it in DS regardless of what happens at Nationals. The whining and complaining from other GS cars are what's pushing the R53 and R56 into DS, not the performance of the R56.

That's just my prediction and I'm prepared for it

d

Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
In my area we have not seen the R56 MCS with R compound tires do very well.

In the last autocross for G stock-
1st to 06 MCS with LSD and 16" SSR comp R and Kumho V710s (PAX 2nd of 112) and 15th fastest raw time of the day.
2nd by 2.5 seconds on 30 second course with good drivers in both cars R56 with LSD and Stock S winder rims and Avon tech Ra tires
3rd to co driver of 06 MCS with SSRs
4th by narrow margin to co driver of 07 MCS R56 (less experienced but trying hard)

Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sm2dan
My prediction is that they're gonna stick it in DS regardless of what happens at Nationals. The whining and complaining from other GS cars are what's pushing the R53 and R56 into DS, not the performance of the R56.

That's just my prediction and I'm prepared for it

d
Dan

If you are correct, which you may be, then GS will be an all Sentra class since they have shown to be able to compete with the R53 and R56. Boy, how exciting will that be, and, they will surely kill the class for good if so. I can't wait to see the 2008 NT and Prosolo numbers in GS if they make the move.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:24 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Craig,
It was hard enough making class this year on the Left coast even with you coming out to San Diego and Atwater. Packwood registration is 0 right now. Locally things have gotten a bit better. We are seeing about 5 drivers each event but I doubt they will ever hit a Tour. It was nice when Jake, Jason and Abe were driving last year.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:18 PM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
Dan

If you are correct, which you may be, then GS will be an all Sentra class since they have shown to be able to compete with the R53 and R56. Boy, how exciting will that be, and, they will surely kill the class for good if so. I can't wait to see the 2008 NT and Prosolo numbers in GS if they make the move.
The Sentra will be a top car, but honestly I'd like to see anyone who can drive it like Erik can, so yes, i'd agree with you on the '08 numbers for GS! DS seems to be weak this year, so far, at the Tour and Pro numbers also. I honestly think the R53/6 will do just as good in DS as it will in GS but GS will become the weaker number class. So what did the SEB accomplish? probably nothing gained nothing lost.

dp

Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
The Sentra will be a top car, but honestly I'd like to see anyone who can drive it like Erik can, so yes, i'd agree with you on the '08 numbers for GS! DS seems to be weak this year, so far, at the Tour and Pro numbers also. I honestly think the R53/6 will do just as good in DS as it will in GS but GS will become the weaker number class. So what did the SEB accomplish? probably nothing gained nothing lost.

dp
Honestly, IMO, I truley do believe that it will ruin GS without the Mini's. Numbers at nats are respectable right now in GS. If they pull the Mini's out, it will surely be the end of a healthy class IMO. Therefore, IMHO, it will be nothing gained but GS will be lost. It will be a huge mistake if they do move the Mini's. Anyway, like you said, it really won't affect Mini owners all that much, I just hate to see them create a huge void in GS.

Last edited by OasisT; 07-05-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Louie B.
3rd Gear
Honestly, IMO, I truley do believe that it will ruin GS without the Mini's. Numbers at nats are respectable right now in GS. If they pull the Mini's out, it will surely be the end of a healthy class IMO. Therefore, IMHO, it will be nothing gained but GS will be lost. It will be a huge mistake if they do move the Mini's. Anyway, like you said, it really won't affect Mini owners all that much, I just hate to see them create a huge void in GS.
Out of curiosity, what filled that void before the MCS's?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:02 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Louie B.
Out of curiosity, what filled that void before the MCS's?
The Celica, but, the Sentra SER was moved there last year. It has shown to be capable of beating the MCS, so, it will surely dominate.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
The Celica, but, the Sentra SER was moved there last year. It has shown to be capable of beating the MCS, so, it will surely dominate.
A short history of G Stock class
2005-06 MCS (Mark Chiles, Craig Wilcox) Yeah!
2002-04 Toyota Celica/Celica GT/Celica
1999-2001 Acura Integra Type R
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse
1993-97 Mazda MX-6

In G Stock Ladies it's similar except for
2002 Audi A4 1.8T

Compare that to D-stock in recent years-
Acura Integra
BMW 330i
Acura Integra Type R
BMW 330ci

Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
I wouldn't necessarily call the Sentra the top dog. I believe that it has Buetzer-syndrome; basically the equivalent of a '99 Miata that has/can beat the new Pontiac Solstice, despite everyone else's attempts. The '99 Miata is capable of beating the Solstice but only when Ryan drives it, apparently. With the Sentra I'd think that it's top dog because Eric drives its socks off like Ryan does the Miata but it doesn't necessarily make it a class-killer.

d

Old 07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
But if you take the other top cars out, that leaves a car that a significant step above the Celica, A4, 85 CRX. It does leave open the question of the new Civic Si...

But in my opinion, by moving the MCS out of GS you create a vacuum. DS has a new contender that has not shown itself nationally yet... the Mazdaspeed 3. They have been very fast locally.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:38 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Milwaukee was a good indication that the Cooper S should stay in GS.

Per

Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 AM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
I'd definitely agree with that assessment. It looks like everyone jumped to false conclusions about the '07 when it first came out and didn't give credit to the drivers. Drivers *do* get better over time!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GRMPer
Milwaukee was a good indication that the Cooper S should stay in GS.

Per
That is for sure. We were not even close to DS, and, I felt I got 100% out of the car and they got us by .4/.8 or so on Sat/Sunday. Anyway, if they move it, I'll be in an integra.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
I'd definitely agree with that assessment. It looks like everyone jumped to false conclusions about the '07 when it first came out and didn't give credit to the drivers. Drivers *do* get better over time!
Yeah, for sure. Also, I think the R53 is still perfectly capable of an even battle with the R56 on most courses.

Quick Reply: D Stock July FasTrack is Posted - All BS and GS MINIs to DS Proposal