D Stock Is the R56 JCW Aero Kit stock class legal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the R56 JCW Aero Kit stock class legal???

My initial obvious answer is no, its not legal since it appeared to be a dealer installed part. However, I am now being told that some of the kits are being installed at the port and are factory painted. This makes me believe that they could indeed be stock class legal since some other parts are also installed at the port such as cup holders etc...

Anyway, what are ye thoughts.

It sure would be nice to have an R56 looking good in Stock class rather than a smallish SUV.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are absolutely 100% illegal in Stock Class. They're considered "after the factory" performance parts, which would differ from a cup holder (though caffine might be considered performance enhancing.. of the driver). The car has to be as it was built in Oxford, DOT tires being an exception.

That's why the 2006 factory installed JCW qualifies for a stock class, but the previously dealer installed JCW kits doesn't.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
They are absolutely 100% illegal in Stock Class. They're considered "after the factory" performance parts, which would differ from a cup holder (though caffine might be considered performance enhancing.. of the driver). The car has to be as it was built in Oxford, DOT tires being an exception.

That's why the 2006 factory installed JCW qualifies for a stock class, but the previously dealer installed JCW kits doesn't.
Are you positive? The port is definitely different from the dealer installed kits that you speak of with the JCW being factory in 06. I think there are additional parts installed at the port, just cannot remember what right now. If the port is not considered an extension of the factory, then the parts installed at the port could be legally removed since they were not "factory" parts if what you say is correct IMO. I wrote in a quick letter to the SEB for clarification just for kicks. Anyway, we will find out 100% for sure shortly, although, it is possible you are right. But, when I heard they were installed at the port along with other parts, that made me think there was a chance we could get it clarified as legal.

Does anyone know what other parts are installed at the port? I think the sticker on the R56 says something like 5% American. Maybe 5% of the parts are installed at the port. lol That would certainly help the argument.

Last edited by OasisT; 05-31-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
OK, I got a quick clarification letter from Doug Gill from the SCCA SEB, here is what it says..................

"The port has been considered part of the "factory". For example, the SSubaru WRX short shifter has been legal because it can be port installed. This doesn't mean it has to be port installed, but since it can be, it is compliant for stock. Its also similar for the Ford Mustang Shelby GT - Its not done by the typical ford assembly line, but the cars are "Shelby-ized" before arriving at the dealer."....................

He went on the explain that not everything is stock class legal, such as the Lotus Elise "Sport", which is excluded specifically from stock legality.

Anyway, so, my hunch was correct, JCW Aero kits are stock class legal. I am working on getting some documentation that says they are installed at the port. I think some dealers will not openely offer this so they can charge the install.

Will post more when receive documentation, this is SOOOOOOO cool though. I really wanted the JCW Aero kit and now its going to happen.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
DON'T BET ON IT.

When I was planning my JCW in 2006, I was told by SCCA that they're NOT stock legal if they're not attached at the FACTORY. And they said the port or the dealer was not the factory.

Last edited by Gromit801; 05-31-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First, the parts aren't being installed at the port - they're installed once the car reaches the Vehicle Production Center (VPC), also known as the Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC). But that's neither here nor there.

I suspect that the VDC-installed aero kit won't be judged legal for Stock class, not because it's a "performance part", but because it's an *optional* part.

There are probably quite a few parts that are installed after the factory that are Stock-legal. In addition to the cupholder, which seems to be the best example, there are the small loss- and damage-prone parts like the wheel center caps and the antenna that are either installed at the VDC or the dealer. (I know that the center caps technically should be removed while autocrossing, but that's a safety issue, not a factory/aftermarket issue).

I think the decision hinges on whether the parts are optional, or whether all the cars have them. Things like the antenna, center caps, and cupholder are standard on all the cars, and you couldn't delete them from your order if you wanted to. Parts like the aero kit are specifically requested either by the customer (if the car is pre-sold), or by the dealer (if it's going to be a lot car).

Since they're optional parts, I think they have to be installed at the factory for them to be considered "Stock".

In short, I suspect that the ruling will come down that mandatory parts installed at the VDC or the dealership will end up being considered "factory", while optional parts that are only installed at the VDC or dealer will not.

Also, I think it only matters if the part *could* have been installed at the factory, not whether or not it actually was. For instance, it's possible to order the Limited Slip Differential "a la carte" on the 'S'. So, if you have an 'S' without LSD and have your dealer install the LSD for you, I believe the car would still be Stock-legal, since it *could* have had the part installed at the factory. I don't think the fact that it was actually installed by the dealer matters.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Please re-read post where I quoted the SCCA SEB member, it has already been clarified to be legal. The WRX has an optional short shifter. It is installed at the port or "after the factory", and, its determined legal. This is an optional component that is performance enhancing that doesn't automatically come from the factory. Just like the Shelby GT Mustang, its installed outside the factory and is legal since it is pre-dealer.

Anyway, bottom line is, it is legal for stock class use since it is a pre-dealer installed part, or, at least it can be pre-dealer(port or VDC) installed. Just read the quote for yourself.

Last edited by OasisT; 05-31-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:24 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry - you posted the quote from the SEB member while I was composing my post, so I didn't see it.

If he was speaking in his official capacity, and the matter has already been decided by the SCCA, then that's great, and I'm glad to hear it.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
MINI_xs
1st Gear
Re the stupid cup holder... I uninstalled this obnoxious hoop as soon as my car came home. However, I've kept it around (in the glove box) in case I decide to run a National autocross and it turns out that it's required.

Has there been a definitive ruling one way or the other? Is it required that the cup holder be installed (right in the way, in the center of the lower dash) for the MINI to be officially stock-legal? Or, better, could I just carry the weight legally by moving it out of sight inside my glove box? Or, best, could I throw it away altogether without being forced into DSP for an unwanted port-added doodad?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
I sent him a 2nd email just to be absolutely sure. Apparently the decision was already made, maybe last year, I forget. This is so cool.

Craig

Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_xs
Re the stupid cup holder... I uninstalled this obnoxious hoop as soon as my car came home. However, I've kept it around (in the glove box) in case I decide to run a National autocross and it turns out that it's required.

Has there been a definitive ruling one way or the other? Is it required that the cup holder be installed (right in the way, in the center of the lower dash) for the MINI to be officially stock-legal? Or, better, could I just carry the weight legally by moving it out of sight inside my glove box? Or, best, could I throw it away altogether without being forced into DSP for an unwanted port-added doodad?
Actually, since it is not an option to delete it, I think you have to run it even though it is port installed. Like Doug(the SEB guy) said, the port is an extension of the factory and if its not an optional delete, it cannot be deleted. So, that sucks.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Craig,

Based upon the MINI configurator, the JCW Aero kit is clearly not legal for Stock class. If you have documentation from MINIUSA that the Aero Kit is now being installed at the VDC, then it would be legal under the clarification made for the WRX. However, the WRX clarification did not include everything that was available on the car as accessories, even if they showed up on the muroney sticker.

AS a side note, Doug does not issue binding statements. He give informed opinions, but that is all they are. Unless you get a response from the SEB it is not official. I and others have been burned before.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motoring
Craig,

Based upon the MINI configurator, the JCW Aero kit is clearly not legal for Stock class. If you have documentation from MINIUSA that the Aero Kit is now being installed at the VDC, then it would be legal under the clarification made for the WRX. However, the WRX clarification did not include everything that was available on the car as accessories, even if they showed up on the muroney sticker.

AS a side note, Doug does not issue binding statements. He give informed opinions, but that is all they are. Unless you get a response from the SEB it is not official. I and others have been burned before.
Keith

Thanks for the input. I am working on the documentation as we speak. I am certain that some kits are being installed at the VDC, now I just need to get the hard evidence.

I realize Doug's statement isn't binding, I have heard that before, but, what he said is definitely correct isn't it? If so, there is any disputing his statement, so, now I just need the documentation to prove the parts are installed at the port. Also, the some of the JCW drilled rotors are being installed at the VDC as well.

Anyway, it will give me something to do while waiting on my trade assist to go through.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:37 AM
GSharp
1st Gear
Craig,

A friendly heads-up from a former SEB member (yrs truly)....

While part of Doug's job is to give answers to as many questions as possible without having to go through the "write the SEB a letter" process, his answers do not carry the same weight as an answer from the SEB itself, particularly when dealing with the sort of "grey area" in which port-installed parts reside. Since you said you've written to the SEB for an answer, I wouldn't start buying parts until you hear back from them.

Based on my time on the SEB, I'm certain those drilled brake rotors aren't legal on a GS or HS Mini, regardless of where they are installed, otherwise a bunch of SCCA Mini's would already have them. That's an example of why we can't just make a blanket statement that "if it's installed at the port or at the VDC it's legal."

GH

Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 AM
MINI_xs
1st Gear
GH --

Any thoughts (or known SEB decisions) on my issue with the unexpected, obnoxious cupholders that were apparantly added by the port people? Never saw this cupholder in any brochure before I ordered the car, can't stand it, and I really don't want to be forced to reinstall it for autocrossing only.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GSharp
Craig,

A friendly heads-up from a former SEB member (yrs truly)....

While part of Doug's job is to give answers to as many questions as possible without having to go through the "write the SEB a letter" process, his answers do not carry the same weight as an answer from the SEB itself, particularly when dealing with the sort of "grey area" in which port-installed parts reside. Since you said you've written to the SEB for an answer, I wouldn't start buying parts until you hear back from them.

Based on my time on the SEB, I'm certain those drilled brake rotors aren't legal on a GS or HS Mini, regardless of where they are installed, otherwise a bunch of SCCA Mini's would already have them. That's an example of why we can't just make a blanket statement that "if it's installed at the port or at the VDC it's legal."

GH
GH,

Thanks for the post, it is nice to hear your input.

The brakes have never been installed at the port before now as far as I know, so, thats why I figured noone had looked into it and noone was running them, but, I could see why they might be more in the grey area, but, the aero kit? It certainly seems like if the WRX shifter is allowed then the JCW Aero kit would be allowed. Anyway, does anyone know when they passed the WRX ruling on the short shifter? I was thinking it was fairly recent.

Anyway, I will update as I get info.

Craig

Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
February 2003, Fastrack
3) Stock: The following items are port installed
options on the Subaru WRX,
are listed when installed on the vehicle's
window sticker, and pending evidence to
the contrary are considered legal: carbon
fiber trim, turbo boost gauge, titanium
shift ****, short throw shifter, rear diff
protector, spoilers, arm rest extension.

The part about being listed on the window sticker is important

Old 06-01-2007, 10:44 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
February 2003, Fastrack
3) Stock: The following items are port installed
options on the Subaru WRX,
are listed when installed on the vehicle's
window sticker, and pending evidence to
the contrary are considered legal: carbon
fiber trim, turbo boost gauge, titanium
shift ****, short throw shifter, rear diff
protector, spoilers, arm rest extension.

The part about being listed on the window sticker is important
Thanks for the post, so, it has been a few years then. I am not sure if it is listed on the window sticker or not. I am sure that would help, I kinda doubt it is listed on the sticker though. However, the really important part is that they are installed at the port, now I just need to provide documentation to prove it I assume. I will post when I hear something official.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
The thing that jumps out on me, is that the WRX is being named specifically.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
The window sticker is very important. That was one of the key factors in allowing the WRX stuff.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
The thing that jumps out on me, is that the WRX is being named specifically.
Correct, there would have to be a ruling made, but the precedent has been set.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
The window sticker is very important. That was one of the key factors in allowing the WRX stuff.
I don't argue with you on that, it would certainly make things easy for documentation, and I definitely appreciate your knowledgable input.

But, if the SCCA truley views the port as an extension of the factory, then documentation of a port install should be all that is needed. Its not like this item is actually a performance enhancement, so, if its installed at the port, it should be legal, window sticker or not IMHO.

So, the bottom line is, I guess you choose to disagree with Doug on the legality of port installed items such as a JCW aero kit. He clearly views it as legal and you apparently do not view it as legal without SEB clarification. I honestly don't know, but, will work towards it being legal because I would like one. :-)

Anyway, I will definitely wait to order the parts until I get a clear ruling, but, the way i see it is that if they allow WRX port installed short shifters. then port installed Aero kits should be legal. If it is ruled as illegal, well then, the SCCA would clearly be missing what is important and what is not important. The 2 issues to me are - #1 is the part port installed or not? #2 If it is port installed, is it a legal part? I assume an aero kit would fall into that catagory of being legal since it is indeed installed at the port and its not some massive performance enhancement that would bump it out of its current class like the Lotus Sport package.
Craig

Last edited by OasisT; 06-01-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
OK, here is my SEB request number 07-309 (crossing fingers and hoping we can have the option to turn our smallish SUV's into a nice looking Mini)

Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
Personally, I like the looks of the aero kit, and would consider installing it (if hadn't already done some custom paint work on the current bumpers) But I feel that the way it is listed on the configurator makes it illegal for stock class, regardless of where it is installed. It is an accessory, not an option.

If the documentation comes through and the SEB agrees with you, great.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I wanted the Aero kit too. One of these days, I'll repaint Gromit a REAL BRG, and probably add the kit at that point. By then I won't be in a stock class anyway. Soon as the warranty is expired, M7 will become one of my dependants!

Quick Reply: D Stock Is the R56 JCW Aero Kit stock class legal???