I get to buy new tires!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 02:14 PM
mudbuddha
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks good on the car- Continental makes some really good looking tires and they perform too. We are running Continental PureContact and liking them so far- very quiet tires.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:19 PM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
After a few thousand miles in a wide variety of conditions I can give these tires an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Performance in the rain was an imperative. After two recent road trips with extended hours in heavy rain, these tires were put to the test. High speeds, remote windy roads and uneven pavement were all dealt with easily and quietly.

They have transformed the experience of long trips in such s positive way.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by michaelo
Why avoid run flats? My 2019 Mini came with run-flats and they feel great. Their prices are also not much different than regular tires.
My '19 CM S FWD is so loud I get headaches on longer drives of an hour or more, which happened over the weekend. By the time I got home on the return trip, I was in migraine mode.

I have Bridgestone Turanza EL450 and this week, I decided to use a decimal meter. Just running around town around 30-50 mph, no AC, no radio, windows up - I was 80-90dB

If hit a newer blacktop surface, it will drop but still irritating and you can't hold a conversation, especially if someone were sitting in the rear seats.

Seriously considering replacement, but don't want to get in the same boat again...

Old 09-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 07PepperS
My '19 CM S FWD is so loud I get headaches on longer drives of an hour or more, which happened over the weekend. By the time I got home on the return trip, I was in migraine mode.

I have Bridgestone Turanza EL450 and this week, I decided to use a decimal meter. Just running around town around 30-50 mph, no AC, no radio, windows up - I was 80-90dB

If hit a newer blacktop surface, it will drop but still irritating and you can't hold a conversation, especially if someone were sitting in the rear seats.

Seriously considering replacement, but don't want to get in the same boat again...
I understand. it's a lot of money and not like you can easily try before your buy. I read as much as I could on sites like https://tirereviewsandmore.com and others and paid particular attention to noise ratings and comments about road noise. There are tires for which reduced road noise is a specific goal, even on high performance tires. If a number of sites referenced low noise, my confidence in the choice went up.

I can't say enough about how much these tires have changed the experience of being in this car, especially on long drives. Good luck and don't wait! Life is too short to have your awesome, fun car cause you headaches.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The problem most people run into when comparing road noise of tires is that they have well worn tires that are noisy as heck. They then buy brand new tires and remark how quiet they are when in fact they are comparing 40,000 miles tires vs. 0 mile tires.

I read these boards several years ago when looking for new tires strictly because of the road noise. The OEM RFs on the Countryman still had lots of life. When to the above mentioned DWS tires and they were slightly quieter. Hardly enough to make the change and spend the cash. Now that the DWS are well worn, on the rare occasions when I'm in that car they are as loud as the OEM tires.

Recently been driving a new GTI when the wife isn't using it. Brand new non RF's, tire noise is awful.

Hatchback cars are noisy.

Best advice, find someone with NON RF's on similar car and go for a ride. Or find a shop that will let you test some tires.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Phranc68
2nd Gear
I did have 55+ on the RFs that I replaced. Though a loaner car with only 3k on it had the same tires and was also loud.

Hatchbacks with two sunroofs do allow you the opportunity to be intimate with your surroundings.