Country Roads MINIs Club supporting MINI owners and enthusiasts of West Virginia.

Bridges and more...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:22 PM
wvmtnbiker
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bridges and more...

Yesterday a group of three Minis traveled near and far to view some of WVs covered bridges. It was a great time to talk Minis and get together for this years first drive of the season. All said and done, we covered about 165 miles on roads that we were sure we could hear banjos off in the woods.
The weather was brisk but we a great time nonetheless.
Pics to follow soon. We got some good ones too!

We hope to do a short drive in the latter part of May, so watch for postings of the drive.

In June, some of us are headed south for the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour with the Tar Heels Mini Club for a three day event. Should be fun for sure.

Once again our trip planner, John, mapped out a good drive for us and it was well worth hearing those banjos off in the distance. But safe and sound we arrived back in Fairmont to the last bridge and we parted ways. This is what owning a Mini is about: FUN

Motor On and Motor Safe!

Last edited by wvmtnbiker; 04-14-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Covered Bridge Tour 2013

Here are two of my pictures from the April 2013 Covered Bridge Tour in northcentral West Virginia. The first three bridges that we visited were easy access from US 50 (Simpson Creek, Fletcher, and Center Point). Fletcher Bridge (below), on a little used country road, was the only one of these three that we could drive on and get a good picture.

The excitement began when the GPS and map turned us north towards Hundred, WV across more rugged countryside where we encountered Marcellus Shale Gas drilling operations, and roads that were likely passable at one time, but not last Saturday. After some false turns, we ended up at our fourth covered bridge of the day in Hundred.

The Barrackville Bridge (below) was our last bridge of the day, and provided a bright red backdrop for the two remaining MINI's. Our third MINI ventured home after lunch with a turbo that had been "acting-up". Since it took us so long to get to Barrackville, we postponed finding the Dents Run Bridge until another day.

By now Twiggy (right) and Merlin were pretty much covered with dust and in need of another good wash. You know that you've been "in it" when there's dust in the recessed hinge holes of the tailgate!

Everyone in attendance had a great time, but if there was ever confirmation of the old adage "you just can't get there from here", the last leg of this trip was IT!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Dragonfly79
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bummed I couldn't be there

I so wanted to join you for the drive but the schedule didn't permit. Hopefully I'll be able to join in for the next one. Keeping my eyes open for the next meet up.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM
wvmtnbiker
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New meet up

Originally Posted by Dragonfly79
I so wanted to join you for the drive but the schedule didn't permit. Hopefully I'll be able to join in for the next one. Keeping my eyes open for the next meet up.
Look for my new drive post this weekend. Looking at the last Saturday in May to hit Canaan Valley, Davis and Thomas. Hope you can make it.