Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (C.O.R.N.) club forum.

How are you dealing with the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16" non run flat Blizzaks on our S. Get's around fine so far. Except for a couple of the really bad snows we've been out daily.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rainman768
16" non run flat Blizzaks on our S. Get's around fine so far. Except for a couple of the really bad snows we've been out daily.
So, I was planning on getting snow tires for next winter, if not this one, but then I found out while I was buying the S, that I don't even have a PLACE for a spare. I've never enjoyed changing flats along the road, but I've done it two or three times when I had to. Now, I'm hesitant to run anything for snow that isn't a run flat since my spare would have to ride shotgun, I guess. Thoughts? Do they make run flat snow tires?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by moltenhalo
So, I was planning on getting snow tires for next winter, if not this one, but then I found out while I was buying the S, that I don't even have a PLACE for a spare. I've never enjoyed changing flats along the road, but I've done it two or three times when I had to. Now, I'm hesitant to run anything for snow that isn't a run flat since my spare would have to ride shotgun, I guess. Thoughts? Do they make run flat snow tires?
Yes they make run-flat snow tires. Not much difference in cost if i recall correctly. I chose standard tires due to reading horror stories of run-flats bubbling when hitting pot holes, ruining them. I'm planning on staying in town during the winter so if I do have a blow-out (never had one, knock on wood) I have plenty of friends and family to call.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
Thanks Rainman. I'll have to look at the run flat snow options. I spent $600 when I bought my mini on a 5 year insurance policy covering damage to tires or wheels, so if they bubble, I should be covered. I have to use that policy at least once or twice or I'm a COMPLETE sucker!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
Enough snow last night and this morning to count as my first MINI in the snow driving experience. The Continental all-weather run flats did fine on the way to work today; even getting up the obnoxious hill of my driveway!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
tancred
4th Gear
I've had no trouble thus far this season driving around on those Continentals, either -- touch wood! I'm in the Dundee neighborhood, where plows rarely venture. But so long as the snow isn't over the fender, it's fine. The only time I was reluctant to go out was after the blizzard, when even the big trucks were getting stuck on my side street. There are two big, steep hills between my house and work that are quite treacherous in the snow, and Vera handles them like a champ -- better than most on those roads. Driving a stick helps, too, I think.

May break down next year and do the snow tires, though.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
MINIPaige
2nd Gear
DSC has helped me out a couple of times. Tire-wise I just have Continentals on it and only got stuck once because I tried to...well I got stuck. The red one, though, hasn't fared well on the slick. The CV joints at the transmission failed and the transmission is now in question. Bummer. Glad it's at Merkel, at least.