Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (C.O.R.N.) club forum.

Clear Bra installation in Omaha?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:03 AM
mickie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra installation in Omaha?

Has anyone gotten a clear bra in Omaha? There is a lot of talk about them on the 2007+ forum, and I'm expecting my car to arrive any day now, so I'm wondering if I should get one installed. Markel has the 3M product for about $650, but some folks are recommending the Venture Shield, and I can't find an installer for them in our region. Has anyone had experience with the 3M product, or know of a Venture Shield dealer? If the 3M is OK, are there other dealers who might be a bit cheaper?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Jpolson
3rd Gear
Welcome to CORN

Auto Glass Tint at 8806 L St. I know does the clear bra, I dont know what kind tho, They are the oldest auto tinting in Omaha since 1970 something.

I didn't have a clear bra but they did the tint and do a decent job for just $120

Also at the meets like Minis in the Mountains and MOTD there are vendors that install clear bras.

Post Pics when your car comes in

Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
I had the 3M bra installed in 2005 on my car. still looks as good today as it did when installed. Makes it easy to get those bugs off with a power spray. No fear of blasting the paint off the front of the car.
Also, I did not see you signed up for CORN. Even if your car is on the way you are welcome to sign up in the welcome thread. No cost to you. Also you may want to PM me your contact info in case you want to be contacted about future MINI gatherings.
Jim
Kernel of CORN

Old 07-17-2007, 04:47 PM
mickie
1st Gear
Thanks for the information. I signed up, too, and hope to attend a MINI event sometime!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Kasey
2nd Gear
I had the 3M bra put on my '07 at Markel in June. The full front-end version, not just the hood. It looks great and works great so far.

The installer could not get the pieces for the side mirrors to fit to my satisfaction because of the extreme curvature, so I just had them removed.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 PM
JMike
3rd Gear
I've been thinking of it also but just not sure of it. I think I just keep imaging the old plastic coated covers that start fading and cracking after some time.

Although within 2 weeks of owning my Mini, going home on I-80 I saw a rock just taking aim at me. When I got home I found that it hit me right in the front of the Bonnet putting a nice ding in it. I picked up some touch up paint to at least protect the metal under the chip.

Then a couple weeks later my wife was getting in the passenger side in the garage and door snapped to the second open lock position which unfortunately pulled the door right into my sons motorcycle clutch handle. Luckly the handle had a rubber end cap but this still put a very noticable ding in my door. That one I hope to be able to get it pulled out.

After all my years of driving cars (and boy it's been a lot of years) this is the first time I've had a car pick up dents and dings so quickly. My last vehicle was a 2002 Ford Ranger and even it didn't even have any dings in it.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 AM
mickie
1st Gear
I'm still on the fence, too. I checked my other car, 4 years old, and it doesn't have any rock dings. On the other hand, I've seen comments that that the finish is somewhat "soft", so maybe it is more important to get the coverage for the Mini. Markel seems expensive, though.