Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Magnaflow exhaust manifold and convertor assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Magnaflow exhaust manifold and convertor assembly

Hello everyone. I wanted to share something I just did. My 2008 Cooper N12 has 186000 miles on it and my oil filter adapter started leaking. I was going to replace it until I removed the upper exhaust manifold cover and discovered the manifold was cracked between the runners. I started looking at options and decided the OEM replacement from Magnaflow was a win at $660. I bought it and removed the old one only to discover something shocking. Our original manifolds are so restrictive in several ways. The first is that you could not fit a golf ball down into the cat. It is so small, it is crazy. Add to that 1 inch runners that are crushed down to 1/2 inch as it enters into the cat. Now to the Magnaflow unit. 1 1/2 inch runners that enter a giant collector like a header as full circles. The size of the collector portion is bigger than a tennis ball. I got everything back together and the improvements are incredible. First the idle has smoothed out to the point you do not feel the engine. Next the exhaust tone is much deeper. Lastly the car has more power and torque everywhere in the power range. It is incredibly stronger. I am now going to see if fuel mileage improves from its normal range. If you are looking for a power adder that all of us look for but never find, here is one for you. You will not be disappointed!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:53 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ive's Mini- My catalytic converter has failed at 116000 miles and having read your post, I ordered the Magnaflow unit. My Mini is almost undriveable now but my Magnaflow still hasn't shipped two weeks after ordering... Did you have this kind of problem? Maybe due to it being a Canadian shipment? I will call their service line, but wondered how long yours took to arrive.
Do you still love it?

Old 06-19-2018, 05:10 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
Ive's Mini- My catalytic converter has failed at 116000 miles and having read your post, I ordered the Magnaflow unit. My Mini is almost undriveable now but my Magnaflow still hasn't shipped two weeks after ordering... Did you have this kind of problem? Maybe due to it being a Canadian shipment? I will call their service line, but wondered how long yours took to arrive.
Do you still love it?
I bought mine through Amazon. I needed California emissions and had no delay. It came 2 days via Prime. I do not know what kind of backlog was on the non-California unit. That may be the problem. Do an internet search on the part number. You may find it quicker from another supplier. And yes, I still absolutely love it. The car has so much more power. There is no down side to installing it.

Last edited by Ive's Mini; 06-19-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wish I'd gone to Amazon first... The standard part is backordered and the back-up part that I'm getting is also, but they found one in Toronto- so I may have it by Friday. The back-up part doesn't have the California stamp on it.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:42 PM
wascobi
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
part number?

Old 12-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
The unit found in this link should be the correct part number for the gen 2 Non-s. https://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_553028 This is the california emission version which is the one I installed.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:50 AM
stankarr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought this for my n16 engine, did yours come with intake gaskets or did you get them separately? Are the the same size as the oem gaskets? upgrade the exhaust gasket as well?