Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Cold Air Intake

Old 01-26-2017, 07:21 AM
ELS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake

Hi Everyone,

Anyone have experience with the K&N Typhoon Intake System, DDM Cold Air Intake, or other Cold Air Intakes? Thanks!

Eric

Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
If you like noise and no horsepower gain, go for an aftermarket "cold air" intake.

Most take air from inside the engine compartment, where the air temperature is not cold.

The stock intake is the best engineered intake, all you need is a free flowing air filter.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:55 AM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I hear ya

I've read over a lot of "Air intake Threads" and most seem to agree with above post. My thoughts.

BUT THEY LOOK SO COOL!!!

Any ideas on how to dress up the stock box?? Anyone seen anything cool out there. For example. They have the aftermarket dipsticks. Id be interested if the aftermarket dipstick that is easier to read. I can search just trying to start a conversation.

Feel free to add any cool things you've seen.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:23 PM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
I'd go with the K&N because it's cheaper than most, looks decent, and definitely give you a nice blow off sound with the turbo.

You will not get any HP gains from a CAI.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:10 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Now like the others said if you had a Cooper S I would again no power gain. But since it's NOT an S there is actually HP gains. We did dyno testing on the first DDM intake and actually found an 8ft lb torque gain at the wheels. And the throttle response is really improved.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwor...5-r56-r57.html

Please find other NON S owners with the DDM intake and they will verify it does actually make an improvement.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-17-2017, 07:03 AM
ELS
1st Gear
Exhaust

Hi Everyone,

Anyone have experience with the Remus Exhaust?

Exhaust vs Cold Air Intake?

Eric

Old 02-17-2017, 07:16 AM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
I have Remus axle-back only, I think it looks great, sounds great, but if you're looking for HP gains from it you'll have to go all out from the downpipe and go with a straight through cat back system, along with getting a tune.

The CAI is just for sound (noise), if you're only doing that without any other mods you're not going to see any performance gains. Vendors will tell you they dyno'd their CAI and got gains, they are lying. It may be true if it was tuned and had many other mods to go along with it, but alone...no gain.

I would suggest the JB+ piggy back if you're going on the cheap, best bang for the buck I've spent.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 AM
ELS
1st Gear
Exhaust vs Cold Air Intake

oldkid6:

Mine Is A 2013 MINI Cooper Hardtop R56 Non-S.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ELS
oldkid6:

Mine Is A 2013 MINI Cooper Hardtop R56 Non-S.
Oops, my bad. I need to start paying more attention to which thread I'm responding to.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM
ELS
1st Gear
What Are Your Thoughts With That Said?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
Well, my thoughts don't really change. I think I kind of wasted my money on the Remus because it's not a cat-back, but I still like it, so that's a contradiction.

The CAI on a justa seems irrelevant to do considering there's not much to gain, though some may disagree who have non turbo Coopers. My point is, it really doesn't make that big of difference when you have a turbo, it just gives you a better blow valve sound when the gears change. Again, some people will read this and say I'm wrong. I'm just telling you there are so many variables that have to work together, not one thing alone is going to make HP or torque gains.

The cheapest thing to do is get the K&N Typhoon CAI and see how you like it, beyond that I would save your $$ on mods unless they're for stance. I would rather invest in a good suspension, get rid of that wheel gap, rather than buy an exhaust. Get some nice rims and you're set, forget about gaining power on a justa.

justa my .2

Old 02-17-2017, 10:43 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by oldkid6
well, my thoughts don't really change. I think i kind of wasted my money on the remus because it's not a cat-back, but i still like it, so that's a contradiction.

The cai on a justa seems irrelevant to do considering there's not much to gain, though some may disagree who have non turbo coopers. My point is, it really doesn't make that big of difference when you have a turbo, it just gives you a better blow valve sound when the gears change. Again, some people will read this and say i'm wrong. I'm just telling you there are so many variables that have to work together, not one thing alone is going to make hp or torque gains.

The cheapest thing to do is get the k&n typhoon cai and see how you like it, beyond that i would save your $$ on mods unless they're for stance. I would rather invest in a good suspension, get rid of that wheel gap, rather than buy an exhaust. Get some nice rims and you're set, forget about gaining power on a justa.

Justa my .2
+1

Search this Thread