Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Thoughts opinions advice on creating straight through stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM
killertomato
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts opinions advice on creating straight through stock muffler

Just as the title says - I am wondering if anyone wants to offer anything up on my plan to convert this...

Into this...

(sorry about the bad photoshop work)

(edit) now I realize that I could go get x muffler and or y catback but I have seen the testing of a few catbacks on grassroots (with a dyno) and some of the best gains were found with 2 inch systems that were a little more free flowing and really our little r50s don't need anything bigger. The way I see it the only restrictions in the system is the intake and the muffler with its three passes/chambers.

Please let me know if I am completely out to lunch.

Other thing is, I would like to give some custom work a try and have a (little) louder, (hopefully) burbling exhaust for the cost of a little ceramic wool, some welding wire, and (maybe) a busted knuckle.

I also think the it would be fun to have some of the features of aftermarket in stock form.

I would be reusing the initial bend from the inlet side and welding it to the outlet, reusing 2 of the 3 sections of perforated pipe (approx. 18 inch of perf would become 12 inch)

I would also reuse the rockwool and probably buy some ceramic blanket from a glass blowing store to wrap the tube in (or should I just cut it up random and pack it into the cavity).

I was also planning on leaving the two holes in the rearmost partition to act as a crude (and in no way mathmatically tuned) resonance chamber.

I guess I am wondering if I have missed anything and also if anyone has done something like this and can provide insight into sound/method.

Thanks in advance...

(sorry about this but I am running out the door - I may clean this post up later.)

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts opinions advice on creating straight through stock muffler-stock.jpg   Thoughts opinions advice on creating straight through stock muffler-untitled-1.jpg  

Last edited by killertomato; 06-24-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Additional rationale
Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

This is my Justacooper with JUSTAHEADER It sounds good externally...burbles and pops while downshifting but is so loud inside that I have to wear ear plugs (I have no interior). Plus, the floor pan gets crazy hot. I lose massive amounts of TQ due to the lack of back pressure. It is a delicate balance for any NA car. Instead of trying to modify the muffler...why dont you install an OBX can on your car to see if you like it. They are cheap and you can test it out. Thats probably what I will do eventually...Good Luck