Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

DDM intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDM intake

so i just installed a DDM intake for the mini. here's a quick vid of how it sounds inside the car DDM intake

here it is installed, took about 30min.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
corin.mcblide,

Thanks for posting this and the video. It didn't really sound that loud. It seems louder than my car but not annoyingly so. I appreciate the time and effort.

Have you noticed a change in performance? What is your opinion of the performance changes?

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
the video didn't quite capture the actual volume level in the cockpit. it is louder than in the video and very noticeable the first time you push the pedal. i haven't done much driving with it on but i do notice some performance gain. accl does seem a bit quicker and next time i fill up i'll see what it does to my mpg.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
the video didn't quite capture the actual volume level in the cockpit. it is louder than in the video and very noticeable the first time you push the pedal. i haven't done much driving with it on but i do notice some performance gain. accl does seem a bit quicker and next time i fill up i'll see what it does to my mpg.
Nice video!! First time we took her out after our install we drove around with the windows open listening for the growl. Next day I drove to work with the cabin closed, and it seemed a bit louder. When you get to the higher gears it does level out nicely so it's not constantly louder which I like. And no more lag is great, too!!! I also read where 8 lb. torque gain = 10hp. Hope its true!! This was a good first mod for my Justa..

Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Nice video!! First time we took her out after our install we drove around with the windows open listening for the growl. Next day I drove to work with the cabin closed, and it seemed a bit louder. When you get to the higher gears it does level out nicely so it's not constantly louder which I like. And no more lag is great, too!!! I also read where 8 lb. torque gain = 10hp. Hope its true!! This was a good first mod for my Justa..
yeah the lower gears do make more noise than the uppers. 2nd at 3k it really starts to roar and then into 3rd. it definitely is audible over my music in the car, i sort of can feel it through the car if that makes sense, not like vibrations b/c of the install but b/c of the low frequency.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
euells
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the vid. It sounds pretty aggressive. I just might have to pull the trigger on one.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
yeah it is fairly aggressive, but that's generally the case with inline-4's. bonus, it comes with a k&n filter.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
yeah it is fairly aggressive, but that's generally the case with inline-4's. bonus, it comes with a k&n filter.
Should we be expecting a commission check from WMW?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Should we be expecting a commission check from WMW?
haha i wish! i would totally be cool with people handing me monies to do stuff to my car.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
euells
4th Gear
haha i wish! i would totally be cool with people handing me monies to do stuff to my car.
+1 on that!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:24 PM
EinVan
1st Gear
Where did you order it from? Wondering where i should get mine, i live in canada. Easier the better...any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:47 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EinVan
Where did you order it from? Wondering where i should get mine, i live in canada. Easier the better...any suggestions?
i got mine from auto x cooper http://www.autoxcooper.com/ddm_justacooper.php just because i could pay with paypal.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
i got mine from auto x cooper http://www.autoxcooper.com/ddm_justacooper.php just because i could pay with paypal.
Got mine fromwww.waymotorworks.com. They are fantastic!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
euells
4th Gear
Got mine fromwww.waymotorworks.com. They are fantastic!
Just ordered one from Outmotoring using the NAM 5% discount.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
I actually had one on my R50 so I will be checking one out but I will get mine from the guy who made it. The place is only a few hours from me, He did make with Ways help.

http://www.ddmworks.com/mini/r56_coo...ine/intake.htm

Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aquasar
I actually had one on my R50 so I will be checking one out but I will get mine from the guy who made it. The place is only a few hours from me, He did make with Ways help.

http://www.ddmworks.com/mini/r56_coo...ine/intake.htm
Positively Awesome

Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by euells
Just ordered one from Outmotoring using the NAM 5% discount.
So a box arrived today from DDM - I was so stoked! That is- until I opened it and found the wrong intake inside. Damn! I ordered SKU dmmfr56mc ($250), but received SKU DDM street ($190). I really wanted to install this week as I have planned a spirited drive this weekend.

Emailed Outmotoring since it was after hours - hope they can get this straight quick!
Bummed!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Bummer, Aaron should work with you to fix it he is a good guy!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Aquasar
Bummer, Aaron should work with you to fix it he is a good guy!
He was very nice about it - he was trying to determine if Outmotoring ordered the wrong SKU or if DDM shipped the wrong one. Either way - he was having a new one sent today from DDM in SC. I would love to think I'd get tomorrow, but I seriously doubt it. Really wanted this in for the weekend.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM
euells
4th Gear
He was very nice about it - he was trying to determine if Outmotoring ordered the wrong SKU or if DDM shipped the wrong one. Either way - he was having a new one sent today from DDM in SC. I would love to think I'd get tomorrow, but I seriously doubt it. Really wanted this in for the weekend.
So I STILL don't have my intake. Turns out DDM is completely out of stock and has no ETA. I am REALLY bummed now as I will be going out of town for two weeks and would have loved to have it on car. Damn the luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
So I STILL don't have my intake. Turns out DDM is completely out of stock and has no ETA. I am REALLY bummed now as I will be going out of town for two weeks and would have loved to have it on car. Damn the luck!
damn that is just the worst of luck. i guess i was lucky getting mine as soon and as fast as i did. the wait will be worth it though. i just did my seattle to los angles drive again and i could def see the gain i get from teh intake. it was easier to get up the hills and i could would only have to downshift to 5th when other trips sans intake i would sometimes have to dip down into 4th to keep my speed up. it also sounds reaaaaally good in small parking garages. people get confused when they hear such deep tones coming from my mini.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM
peppermill
2nd Gear
I spoke with DDM Works today and they assured me that they were doing everything they can to expedite yours as well as my own order.The two of us are apparently at the top of their list for delivery.

fingers crossed it won't be too long.

best,
k

btw- can anyone who has experience with the DDM intake confirm an improvement in throttle response? if so, is it :
(a) barely percptible, (b)small but significant, (c) a solid improvement (halved?),
or even
(d) gobsmacking stunning (haha-i really don't expect that)?

the throttle lag is the one deal that has bothered me most every since taking delivery of my cooper.
for me, it just kills the driving experience and i'm reluctant to stick an electronic band-aid onto what I perceive as an electronic "deficiency" via a Sprint booster. if that's what it takes, then maybe, but I'm hoping that I might reduce the effect by a worthwhile amount with the intake alone.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by peppermill

btw- can anyone who has experience with the DDM intake confirm an improvement in throttle response? if so, is it :
(a) barely percptible, (b)small but significant, (c) a solid improvement (halved?),
or even
(d) gobsmacking stunning (haha-i really don't expect that)?

the throttle lag is the one deal that has bothered me most every since taking delivery of my cooper.
for me, it just kills the driving experience and i'm reluctant to stick an electronic band-aid onto what I perceive as an electronic "deficiency" via a Sprint booster. if that's what it takes, then maybe, but I'm hoping that I might reduce the effect by a worthwhile amount with the intake alone.
first off, my mini is an automatic but i drive it in sport manual mode 99.9% of the time just for that reason so i don't really have something to compare for a before and after. i can't stand driving it in normal D mode. but from what i can tell after about 2000mi with it, i would say its between (b) and (c). it's definitely not (a) because you can tell that there is added torque and its not (d) because its not super sensitive either. overall, i would say its worth it; 1) for the noise it makes. i've fallen in love with the deep tone it makes when cruising through a parking garage, it's music to my ears. 2) it comes with a k&n filter and i would assume its better than the OEM one and i'm pretty sure that you can wash/reuse the filter. and hell if you dont like it after day 1, im sure you could sell it for cost to another member since they seem to have a shortage.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
I agree! I have stated before the lag is gone, and there is a better throttle response. Yes, the growl is very satisfying!!! I have an automatic and drive a fair amount in the regular mode and definitely notice the difference. In sport/manual mode it's simply awesome

Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Hi folks, thanks for your patience with the delay on DDM intakes. The intakes (both Cooper and Cooper S) have been waaaay more popular than DDM had prepared for and they are working on getting more in stock asap. There was a mixup with an order as noted in the thread and we're working to get it ironed out and are waiting on a refresh of inventory from the manufacturer that supplies DDM.

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Quick Reply: DDM intake