Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Power mods on the Justa's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ thanks R 53 for the input! Going to look into other Mods at the Dragon. Very excited to get the intake, now. WHOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R53 Speed
Good luck and enjoy the journey. By the way, you have been warned that once the mod bug bites, it bites hard and often.
Oh, I know. I was into the 'Jeep thing' for years, and I couldn't leave well enough alone. I was doing mods to EVERY Jeep I had. And from day one I was looking to mod my MINI. I just didn't realize how huge the aftermarket was for them. Trying to wade through the list of possibles is half the darn battle. But I am listening to those more skilled and experienced than I and seeing the best path to take. Still going to try and do it my way though. Starting with the swaybar here soon, then the DDM intake. Already did the NM Torque strut bushing, and that made a lot of difference in the car.

Man, the more I learn about the MINI, the more I learn about doing mods to it, and the more I drive it, the more I am so glad I bought it! I love this car!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
chubv
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ricbow
+1 love it.
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
+ 2
+ 3

Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
In the following post by jbewley (Here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9-2005ttk.html Post #21), he tried 3 different configurations.

"FYI, I have run the DDM, the AirVIP2 and just a K&N with the OEM air box with the following results.

DDM: Loud. Intake temp between 30 to 35 degrees above ambient.

Air VIP2: Not as loud. Intake temp between 19 to 23 above ambient.

K&N, OEM box: Not loud. Intake temp between 18 to 21 above ambient.

Power gain was about the same with each configuration. Intake temp was monitored on each, all the time, using a Scanguage II and the Garmin HD."

Based on this, a K&N drop in filter is almost as good performance wise as the DDM and VIP. So is that the most effient way to go (Considering; cost, sound and performance)?" As I stated above I am not looking for noise.

Thoughts?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Got my WMW DMMWorks CAI yesterday (Speedy shipping, thanks Way!) Husband installed in 40 mts. Drove her today to work, and gotta say, I am really liking it. In the lower gears she has a deeper throaty growl, but not too loud. Also, immediately noticed that ever so slight lag in the throttle response is GONE. Noticed this even before I put her in Sport Mode. I am very satisfied with my Mini's very first performance mod!!

hmmmm...what to do next...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Tank251:

A panel drop filter will not give you any sound change at all. Very little hp/tq gains as well. However, you will notice about a 1-2 mpg increase but that's about it.
At least, this was my experience when I had an R50 with an Alta drop-in filter.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
DDMWorks CAI question

Do you remove the O ring on the air meter assembly when installing the assembly onto the casing of the CAI? We left it on. Thoughts?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
In addition to all these great ideas, the best upgrade for a MC is lots of driving skill improvements and a little RACE DAY ATTITUDE!

CHCECKER FLAG GRRR...

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Got my WMW DMMWorks CAI yesterday (Speedy shipping, thanks Way!) Husband installed in 40 mts. Drove her today to work, and gotta say, I am really liking it. In the lower gears she has a deeper throaty growl, but not too loud. Also, immediately noticed that ever so slight lag in the throttle response is GONE. Noticed this even before I put her in Sport Mode. I am very satisfied with my Mini's very first performance mod!!

Glad you like it Giggles.

Next - take the *body roll* out of your MINI. Rear Sway Bar.

Oh - and about the O-ring... I just don't remember it. I'm guessing you're talking about the sensor on the left of the intake (passenger side)? I don't remember taking away any parts aside from the old intake so I'm thinking husband was right to leave it. Was there some issue with it there?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts

Great I love seeing a customer that can feel the improvement.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Great I love seeing a customer that can feel the improvement.
Way, asked this question ^. Husband wants to know if he should remove the O ring on the air meter assembly when installing the assembly onto the casing of the CAI? Is thinking of removing it on Sunday. He's thinking more air can get in if it is removed. Does this make any sense? Maybe he should just call you. Any advise greatly appreciated!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
The DDM intake will be my next mod after reading this thread. I did just order my 19mm RSW from Way, so after I get that installed, the intake is next.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by murdoc
The DDM intake will be my next mod after reading this thread. I did just order my 19mm RSW from Way, so after I get that installed, the intake is next.
Murdoc, today I noticed some MPG gains during my commute. I was able to motor approx. 8-9 additional miles before the first hash mark on my fuel guage went out!! It lately had been going our after I'd gone around 89 - 90 miles. Today it went out at 99.7!!

That alone makes this a worthwhile mod. Top it off with a little extra oomph and a satisfying growl and it becomes REALLY worthwhile!!

Your welcome WMW!!! Just stating the truth, not a paid spokesperson

Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Glad you like it Giggles.

Next - take the *body roll* out of your MINI. Rear Sway Bar.

Oh - and about the O-ring... I just don't remember it. I'm guessing you're talking about the sensor on the left of the intake (passenger side)? I don't remember taking away any parts aside from the old intake so I'm thinking husband was right to leave it. Was there some issue with it there?
Walter, Waylen emailed me and said to remove it. No issues with it, it just belongs with the OEM intake, in case I would want to re install it..bwahahahahahahaha...yeah, right...

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Walter, Waylen emailed me and said to remove it. No issues with it, it just belongs with the OEM intake, in case I would want to re install it..bwahahahahahahaha...yeah, right...
Yeah - that means that O-ring is probably up in the attic with my OEM intake. Only way that I would re-install would be if I were selling the car. I don’t see THAT happening any time soon.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Yeah - that means that O-ring is probably up in the attic with my OEM intake. Only way that I would re-install would be if I were selling the car. I don’t see THAT happening any time soon.
thinking of painting my OEM intake and claim that it's a "Object d Art"....

Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I contacted Megan about a Gen 2 version, but they balked - not enough interest. Think you could put in a good word for us?

Sorry - forgot to quote. This is @ rustyeuro!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 PM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
I contacted Megan about a Gen 2 version, but they balked - not enough interest. Think you could put in a good word for us?

Sorry - forgot to quote. This is @ rustyeuro!
lol maybe, i know a guy sponsored by megan racing in California. the catch is that they generally need 6 or more people interested (meaning $$ up front) and one test car that can be left at the shop during the R&D process

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Haven't they ever seen Field of Dreams? Dang!

Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Well, the sway bar is in, and the DDM will be ordered by the end of the month! Going to order from Way again, since they impressed me with the last order. I'm looking forward to see how different the car will feel.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:30 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by murdoc
Well, the sway bar is in, and the DDM will be ordered by the end of the month! Going to order from Way again, since they impressed me with the last order. I'm looking forward to see how different the car will feel.
Murdoc, had my DDMWorks CAI for over a week now and am enjoying it! The growl is the best! The teensy lag in throttle response is gone and I believe she gained a bit in HP. Not a lot, but enough to make me feel this was a worthwhile mod. Let us know what you think after install and a little spirited motoring!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
ishlara
1st Gear
DDM Works CAI

I did the CAI and Torque Arm bushing per Way's suggestion purchased from Way and installed at the dealership. Only thing I can say is....LOVE IT! growl gets looks from 6 banger Mustangs as I scoot past them and the bushing gives her a unique feel when idle. The gears slam more even in Automatic and throttle is way more responsive, I feather the gas just before each gear change by listening to the growl and it appears to others like I am using a manual gear shift! I get almost 500 miles to a tank of gas commuting here in DC since I can rev up, scoot and coast forever before even thinking of hitting the throttle again!
I am looking forward to putting in the rear sways and possibly changing the springs and will definitely purchase from Way.

P.s. I got Giggles to follow suit on the CAI

Last edited by ishlara; 03-14-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Spelling, stupid iPad
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
^^^ Yes, yes he did...Hi, Ish! I really like it!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish there was more power to be made but I have learned to accept it. I love how the Turbo moves but I've seen so many local guys with problems with their MCSs.

I'm relatively happy with with I've got right now.
- Torque Arm Bushing
- Drop-In K&N Filter
- Custom dual exhaust

I am going to ship my car to Lima and so it will mostly see city driving so I'm not sure I should really do anything to the suspension to stiffen it up. I may just enjoy it as is. It is a great car.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini///M
I wish there was more power to be made but I have learned to accept it. I love how the Turbo moves but I've seen so many local guys with problems with their MCSs.

I'm relatively happy with with I've got right now.
- Torque Arm Bushing
- Drop-In K&N Filter
- Custom dual exhaust

I am going to ship my car to Lima and so it will mostly see city driving so I'm not sure I should really do anything to the suspension to stiffen it up. I may just enjoy it as is. It is a great car.
Custom dual exhaust? I'm very curious - any pics?

I was scrolling through Remus' catalogue online - they now have a cat back for the R56... Or maybe they've had it for awhile I never knew. I've heard great things about this exhaust from a Clubman owner here on NAM (MCS) - primarily the deep tone and no drone at highway speed. Has anyone seen this exhaust on a Straight Cooper?

HERE is a link from MINI MANIA's site. I'm also wondering what the MINI will sound like with both the CAI and a new exhaust - it seems like it would be two, competing sounds. Not that I'm opposed to that...

Quick Reply: Power mods on the Justa's?