Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Larger injectors for the R50 now available !

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
nickbmw
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Larger injectors for the R50 now available !

For all those of you who spend time and money for your N/A R50, i have good news.
The stock R50 injectors are very small, at 178cc/min@3 bar (Bosch part number 0280155991). Anything more than a full exhaust system and intake, like a camshaft, will take them to 100% duty cycle at high rpm if remapped, something not good. Also it's not safe to run an R50 with a camshaft and/or ported head without a custom remap, as it leans out at various rpms ranges, depending on the camshaft characteristics.
Until now, there were no available larger injectors for the R50, either the available ones are too larger for a 1.6l normally aspirated engine that will rarely make more than 150-160bhp.
The solution to this is a set of Bosch EV6 injectors, part number 0280155865. They just require two small fuel rail spacers to fit, and the plastic engine cover has to be removed, which i consider is minour. These injectors flow 267cc/min @ 3 bar. They retain the dual cone spray pattern, at a 20 degree angle instead of the 15 degree stock angle. The axial deviation angle is 0, just like stock. They require no adaptors, as they have a uscar type connector, just like stock.
These injectors are ONLY recomended to R50s with at least a camshaft fitted. Not recomended for cars with just an intake, exhaust etc, because they are not needed. They flow enough for any power output a street normally aspirated R50 engine will make, and are not too large like other injectors out there. This means they will be calibrated easier, and will respond much better at low engine loads and idle.
The good news are, these will work even without a tune, although i will NOT recomend this. The closed loop will adapt shortly to normal air/fuel ratios, but it will be very rich at open loop.What i want to say is, you have fit them and drive to the dyno, to have your custom remap done, without a single problem. Only the first startup, where it will take a minute or so, until it adapts with the injectors on.

The part numbers are mentioned, so anyone can have them, but you will need the fuel rail spacers and longer bolts.

Also a few photos and a video showing the behaviour of the ecu with these fitted just a few seconds after the install.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post!
Thanks for shareing.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM
MiniGB06
2nd Gear
Does anyone have an install tutorial? Also where do I get the fuel rail spacers?

Can someone tell me what the impact on fuel economy is? I've got a cylinder head awaiting installation and I'll likely get a cam for it as well... after that it's time to get it tuned. Finally!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
The fuel rail spacers have to be custom made, otherwise you just have to use washers. Also 2 longer bolts.

There will be increased fuel consumption, not because of the injectors on their own, but because of the other engine mods. You'll be sucking in more air, so you'll need to inject more fuel to keep safe air/fuel ratios. The injectors will make sure the engine will run safe, without maxing out like the stocks. Also, it's a much better than stock injectors, responds much faster. You'll notice the engine will run smoother. All these, if it 's been remapped properly.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 PM
MiniGB06
2nd Gear
I understand that hard driving will yield worse fuel economy but I was told by a friend of mine that overall economy will go up due to increases in efficiency. I really want to retain the 27 MPG that I can get currently. That's pretty much where my economy stays in mixed driving (with mid-low 30s for highway driving).

Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about just using the S injectors? Are they too big? Also, I don't know much about injectors so please answer me this: do they always squirt more fuel? I mean, if you just stuck those on a stock R50, would your mileage decrease? Seems if they squirt more at the same pressure then you'd be using more fuel at each combustion cycle and your mileage would decrease.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
Let's make it simple. The ecu is always keeping a constant air/fuel ratio by monitoring the o2 sensor's voltage, when it's in closed loop. We are always in closed loop at idle, and small/medium engine load. With the larger injectors the ecu will decrease the injection time in ms when in closed loop. But the fuel trims will be terrible. What does this means? That, we can run with larger injectors for a short period until we remap it, with no problem, running or consumption problem. But, it is not a permanent solution.
At full load it is another story, because the ecu is bypassing the o2 sensor, and the injection time will be the same as with the stock injectors. That means super rich, which can harm the engine, and the performance is terrible too.
Conclusion? Don't use high flow injectors if you don't really need them. If you do need them, you can run them for a short period no prob, until the remap. So simple.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Would you happen to have drawing or print for spacers?
Outside diameter?
Inside diameter?
Thickness?
Appreciate it!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
I have them writen somewhere, as i calculated them, i will look for and update.