Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Revolution Mini Works Normally Aspirated Stroker engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J Propane
"stock" ecu?
no a stand alone that I have been developing to work with the stock ecu

Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
the Midlands will definitely not handle it
Ive spent roughly $2500 on my 6-speed swap with all my parts discounted about 75%....

Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Chase
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang Jan, now im wanting an R50

Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chase
dang Jan, now im wanting an R50
Why would you? Do you have a R53? Jan's parts for that make it fly, why would you want an R50? As for the R56, he will work on that too, don't worry...

Originally Posted by UKSUV
Ive spent roughly $2500 on my 6-speed swap with all my parts discounted about 75%....
Well, a new Midland will probably cost little less bought at the dealer, you can find used ones but who's going to say how long they will last? (I know the dealer uses regenerated ones too, but at least you've got some kind of warranty on it I think) This to say, the 6s swap is costy but it gives benefits that replacing the midland can't give you, like more power it can sustain, and better reliability

Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Chase
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdriver85
Why would you? Do you have a R53? Jan's parts for that make it fly, why would you want an R50?
Cause NA is Bad ***. haha

Old 12-02-2008, 10:53 PM
checkmate2006
Banned
That UKSUV dude is going turbo-only or something.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 AM
ItaMamuel
2nd Gear
I soooooooo want one of those... and i already have a 6spd tranny!. but i guess it's a very expensive mod..

But i guess that isn't suitable for daily use...

Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by ItaMamuel
I soooooooo want one of those... and i already have a 6spd tranny!. but i guess it's a very expensive mod..

But i guess that isn't suitable for daily use...
yes, this is a full race engine

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
ItaMamuel
2nd Gear
I have the following(engine) mods on my 2001 Mini one:

Cooper S throtle body
Cooper S Gear Box
Cooper S Fuel Pump
BMC CDA (love it)
OBX header with thermal tape
decat
MTH tuner software

very soon:
Newman camshaft
Cooper S valves(for reliability)
"Machined head(exhaust,valves and "lowered") sorry for my bad english hope you can understand what i am trying to say
New ECU tune up(custom made)

Later:
Catback OBX exhaust

But now i have a question... what can i do more to have even more power?
i don't want a turbo or a compressor... and for now i don't want bigger valves..
A friend of mine said i could put a thinner header gasket... it would create more power..

Do you recommend it?

I remind you this is a everyday use car

Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ItaMamuel
A friend of mine said i could put a thinner header gasket... it would create more power..

Do you recommend it?

I remind you this is a everyday use car
You mean a thinner HEAD gasket. A header gasket isnt gonna do anything.... Sorry to laugh. People usually put thicker head gaskets on to lower compression to run higher boost pressure on FI'd cars. I guess the thinner gasket could do the opposite Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdriver85
Why would you? Do you have a R53? Jan's parts for that make it fly, why would you want an R50? As for the R56, he will work on that too, don't worry...

Well, a new Midland will probably cost little less bought at the dealer, you can find used ones but who's going to say how long they will last? (I know the dealer uses regenerated ones too, but at least you've got some kind of warranty on it I think) This to say, the 6s swap is costy but it gives benefits that replacing the midland can't give you, like more power it can sustain, and better reliability
The Midlands and or Getrag bought at the dealer is bank! Ok....6-speed....MSRP is 4500, Wholesale is 3500 and Dealer cost is 2400. I found mine on here for 1100 with 2500 miles on it. I dont regret going to a 6-speed but Im still having shifter cable issues to get it driving...

Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
The Midlands and or Getrag bought at the dealer is bank! Ok....6-speed....MSRP is 4500, Wholesale is 3500 and Dealer cost is 2400. I found mine on here for 1100 with 2500 miles on it. I dont regret going to a 6-speed but Im still having shifter cable issues to get it driving...
Research! Like someone posted in another thread, the Cooper cables are shorter than the Cooper S cables.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 AM
ItaMamuel
2nd Gear
You mean a thinner HEAD gasket. A header gasket isnt gonna do anything.... Sorry to laugh. People usually put thicker head gaskets on to lower compression to run higher boost pressure on FI'd cars. I guess the thinner gasket could do the opposite Good luck.

OOPss..

My mistake...
HEAD GASKET!

Yes a thinner HEAD gasket is a "trick" normally used for guys Civic Type R and Saxo's to run a little bit higher compression. i just like to know if someone tried that.. but i don't mind to be the first one!.. i'am used to it!

I'm so going to beat Lohen's car..(150+) (you will see.. i have some other tricks in my hand) muaahahahahahahah

Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 AM
james f
2nd Gear
lohen have never posted a dyno sheet for the one, and its not been on a proper indie RR here in the uk

Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Beecher
4th Gear
i was going to put a thinner head gasket on mine, but its so bloody thin now, your really not going to get anywhere with it. sorry... Your are regulated to hi compression pistons, or while your head is off, mill the deck, but im concerned about valve to piston clearance doing this stuff...

Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Beecher
.. Your are regulated to hi compression pistons, or while your head is off, mill the deck, but im concerned about valve to piston clearance doing this stuff...
yes, you better be paying attention here or you can end up with bent valves

Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
how those cams and headers doing Jan? Thats my plan for the winter, but probably closer to march. I need more power now, and I have lost interest in designing this stuff myself, so long as your doing it, Im buying it from you!

Beecher

Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
yes, this is a full race engine

Ahh, but will it be street legal??

Old 12-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by Beecher
how those cams and headers doing Jan? Thats my plan for the winter, but probably closer to march. I need more power now, and I have lost interest in designing this stuff myself, so long as your doing it, Im buying it from you!

Beecher
Having seen the Cooper experiments out there I think it's imperative you figure out how far you are willing to go before embarking on hopping up a N/A car.
Maybe I'm coming from a jaded view of the boosted side but given enough time and money and race gas anything is possible

Old 12-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
hahah, i know. Im backing my plan way off.

the plan was ITBs, with a custom race grind cam, your head, 12:1 with fly cut pistons for the valves, Standalone ecu with multiple maping capabilities to run street and race fuel, 2.0L, and my custom header and exhaust. Basically a race engine that would run on street fuel, and have 0 power below 3 grand. I dont use below 3 grand for anything but cruising anyway.

that was the plan.

Since then I have put a JCW head on the car, and JCW sound kit. Ive decided that if i want a super car, i should buy one, not convert the mini into one.

so the new plan is, keep the JCW head, but probably drop big valves in (you know the ones im talking about), your cam, specs depending, might still get you to custom one for me tho, probably 1.8L, your header, and if you do an intake manifold, one of them, and your tune. call it done. Oh, and a clutch and flywheel, and no doubt will one day need a 6 speed with LSD (i have the getrag 5)

I dont have a choice on doing brakes this winter, seized a caliper, and my suspensions is done, and all the cosmetic stuff is done, so its all down to power, which i want more of now.

Will have to phone you to make plans, and discus cams. Might have to wait on the cam until I can put custom pistons in to clear the valves. I would like to see 200hp. Ive been saying for years it could be done, and i could do it, and no one believed me, well, now that you have done it, I hope the believe it now!!

congrats, BTW. keep up the good work. The people I know, know, that if i recomend your stuff, its good stuff, cause they know what im like, and that im capable of doing this stuff as well, so youve done well to gain my business (or eventual business, but it is coming, sooner or later).

Beecher

Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
My plan is pretty similar to Beecher's new one I'd say I'll need your cams, a big valve head (and it would be good if you made one for the Cooper too ), then if you do it your intake manifold, and I'm thinking about your header, I already have a custom one but maybe yours would match better with the cam/head/intake manifold package, if I were to buy everything from you. But first of all I'll need to upgrade the tranny to the 6speed, hopefully I'll be able to complete this project in a couple months and then I can focus on the engine...

Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 AM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Ahh, but will it be street legal??
no. the full race engine usually means that it has no cat on the header, and then the exhaust is either a straight pipe, or maybe a resonator or something, but there is not much sound reduction. This car would most likely violate decible standards for street legal cars and would fail an emmissions test. (course you could take the engine, get him to make one of his quiet exhausts for it and run a cat into it somewhere )

Old 12-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by soccerbummer1104
no. the full race engine usually means that it has no cat on the header, and then the exhaust is either a straight pipe, or maybe a resonator or something, but there is not much sound reduction. This car would most likely violate decible standards for street legal cars and would fail an emmissions test. (course you could take the engine, get him to make one of his quiet exhausts for it and run a cat into it somewhere )

what is strange is the car wasn't that loud especially for a race car
long tube custom header with no cat and one 15" Flowmaster muffler

Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 AM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
haha, just hook a dryer hose up to it and see how loud it is then

Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by soccerbummer1104
haha, just hook a dryer hose up to it and see how loud it is then
at first I didn't get the reference.... then my ears started to bleed again and had the littlehandegan flashback: lol:

roflmao

Quick Reply: Revolution Mini Works Normally Aspirated Stroker engine