Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Group Buy for intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Group Buy for intake?

I wonder if we could get a group buy together for an intake for our justacoopers?

I know they are saying alta is coming up with the CAI, so that could be an option, but we also have the K&N Apollo intake.

I figure we all want a little extra horses, and intake is a good place to start

Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We might consider it depending on what is available, and the cost.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 AM
wimsaab
2nd Gear
ddmworks nearly release!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:50 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested. I've been planning on getting on. For now, I've been enjoying the "psychological gains" of my drop-in K&N. I'm convinced that the engine sounds and feels a tad more aggressive and possibly gets better mileage.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:37 PM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can say that my ITG drop-in on my first gen did in fact make the engine sound more throaty and it feels like the pull is slightly increased. Other than that, I have been very content with not having to change air filters.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
clayvt
3rd Gear
Well, i'm just sitting here waiting patiently for SOMEONE to make a stinkin' CAI for us non-s owners...i feel we have been slighted by the aftermarket gurus

Old 08-20-2008, 05:42 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I highly recommend the WMW/DDM CAI when it's available for 2nd gens.

You won't see any noticeable HP gain, but the growl is pretty impressive. Pait it with a Megan Cat-Back system and you'll love the way your Justacooper grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowls.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Yeah I would love to add some growl. I know hp wont be any big deal, but if it sounds mean then I'm happy haha

Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's no supercharger whine, but it'll sound pretty darn good !

When I'm going through town now, I'll turn the radio off, wind the windows down, and enjoy the throaty grrrrrrrrrrrrowl.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 PM
BR55
1st Gear
I would like a good CAI for my non-S as well.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM
irondynarider
2nd Gear
I'm interested also. Hopefully sooner than later the other thing that would be nice is a different exhaust any ideas?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 AM
thejokell
4th Gear
I would be interested, depending on cost.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Yeah the K&N apollo seems pretty good and I'm sure if we contacted them directly with a group buy they would be able to do something for us.

I know Pete at Minspeed is working on making a resonator eliminator for the non S. It wont give you performance additions, but for $75 its well worth the sound it adds. Just a thought

Old 09-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Evanskarma
2nd Gear
I'm in...
I would like like some of that action too.
How do we make it happen?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Evanskarma
I'm in...
I would like like some of that action too.
How do we make it happen?
Well I think we could wait and see what CAI they are going to make. It's either Alta or M7 that is currently making one for us non Sers. Now maybe if we proposed them a group buy they would hasten the production and maybe make a cheap price for us to get a bunch sold and see some results. The only problem is it would be an expensive purchase for us to be guinea pigs haha

So, we can vote: Wait and see development and wait till we have a good selection of options, or start naming our desired one. From there we can make a list and then propose it to the company for a group buy.

For my vote, I say either wait, or go with the K&N Apollo

Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Jerm800
Neutral
I would be very interested, I used to have a contact at K&N but sadly she is no longer there and we don't have any contact info.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
FatBastard
1st Gear
I'm a Welder/Fabricator and own a TIG machine. I'm going to see what I can come up with one of these weekends. I've had the airbox out, and the only somewhat difficult part seems to be what to do with the MAF meter. I didn't look at how it comes out of the airbox, and if you can simply stick a piece of hose onto the end of it or not. If you can do that, then it'll be very easy to simply fabricate a tube and heat shield for a cold ait intake.

One thing that bears mentioning: I feel the stock airbox and filter has a sizable air filter in it. It'd be difficult to get a cone air filter that had more surface area than the stock filter. As for cold air, it gets the air from the front anyways. I would feel that this would be more of a "sounds cool" modification rather than a huge performance increase over simply using a stock sized K&N in the stock airbox.

A intake silencer removal pipe would be a great idea, however. I may try to figure something out for that. We'll see what direction I take.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
clayvt
3rd Gear
I say we list out real quick what companies would/could make one and then we all just send a few e-mails asking if they have A. one in the works, B. thinking of making one, or C. if they even plan to make one at all.
the companies i can think of are:
Alta
M7
DDM

any others?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FatBastard
I'm a Welder/Fabricator and own a TIG machine. I'm going to see what I can come up with one of these weekends. I've had the airbox out, and the only somewhat difficult part seems to be what to do with the MAF meter. I didn't look at how it comes out of the airbox, and if you can simply stick a piece of hose onto the end of it or not. If you can do that, then it'll be very easy to simply fabricate a tube and heat shield for a cold ait intake.

One thing that bears mentioning: I feel the stock airbox and filter has a sizable air filter in it. It'd be difficult to get a cone air filter that had more surface area than the stock filter. As for cold air, it gets the air from the front anyways. I would feel that this would be more of a "sounds cool" modification rather than a huge performance increase over simply using a stock sized K&N in the stock airbox.

A intake silencer removal pipe would be a great idea, however. I may try to figure something out for that. We'll see what direction I take.

Yeah I know with the K&N apollo it attaches right before the MAF so that would make the fabrication easier. Also they have a hose they bypasses the silencer which is a big thing I think. Sometimes I wonder how much it'd help to just take it out and use an extension hose on the stock intake. If it just added volume it'd be nice

Old 10-04-2008, 01:40 PM
FatBastard
1st Gear
The problem that makes an intake silencer somewhat difficult to fabricate is how it mounts to the airbox. It fits in, then you have to turn it so that it "locks" in place. The intake silencer is the male and the airbox is the female. The male part has two knobby things on it that do the locking (think of a prescription bottle for medication, how it sorta locks into place). Creating a pipe that has the knobbies on it in the right place is a bit of a pain, although not impossible.

Cone filters just look cool to me. In fact, I don't really care too much if it performs the same as stock, as long as I have the sound and the look of a cone filter I'd be happy.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 PM
FatBastard
1st Gear
Check my gallery for my ideas. Please forgive my crappy MSpaint, I'm not a graphic artist. One could use the Apollo intake and then route the cold air intake, or one could possibly make thier own airbox or cold air intake tube. As I said above, the only problem is I'm not sure how the stock MAF sensor attaches to the stock airbox, whether or not you can attach a silicon coupler onto it or not.

One of these weekends I'll make something and see how it works.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ran a K&N Apollo for a few months(not much louder than stock airbox) but I've been using an el cheapo Spectre setup until a replacement is offered.This rubber boot that go's from the air box to the throttle body is a big airflow restrictor.Under high RPM it constricts in the center.

There's VERY limited space between the throttle body and the frame to replace this and the ABS cable doesn't help matters.The air temps between the firewall and the intake manifold are significantly lower without the bulky factory airbox.I initially tried piping a filter down behind the engine over the axles(lot's of room and constant cooler air) but there's no way to get a decent size cone filter down there without dropping the steering assembly or removing the intake manifold.I also tried piping from the factory air location but was concerned about clearance between the ECU and the ABS vacumn line that runs across that area.Anyway here's a pic of my current setup until something else is offered and a pic of my iniitial setup using the factory air pipes.
Current:

Using Factory Piping

Here's a few clips of the current setup.(first pic)I also have a some ECU work done from the UK and a custom exhaust but the intake dominates soundwise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u73aD6D7Bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i08BvRpTLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1knhnIuLI0

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 10-04-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM
FatBastard
1st Gear
Wow, I never would have figured that the stock intake/accordion looking hose would collapse. I really like the second intake setup that you have there. That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking! Does the intake have a huge drone to it at around 130km/hour (75mph or so)? I found that with the intake silencer removed at highway speeds it was almost unbearable with the stock airbox minus the intake silencer.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 PM
clayvt
3rd Gear
Just came across something and was thinking of trying it out. It would be a set-up like OXYbluecoop's current one where it was just a filter attached to the MAF.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/univcone.aspx

Instead of buying the whole apollo kit from K&N i was looking to try and find just the filter and found that. If i read my calipers correctly, the MAF has a diameter of 68mm. course i could be a little off and its actually 70mm. as there are more selections for 70mm im tending to think MINI wouldnt make an obscure size like 68mm. any suggestions or ideas before i go ahead and buy one...post up.

BTW i was thinking of using RC9310. 4.75in base, 3.5in top and 5.875in long with a metal top.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:00 PM
WM3
2nd Gear
This is just the kind of thing I've been looking into. Any progress guys?

Quick Reply: Group Buy for intake?