Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

New to MINIs, suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:58 PM
fu007dan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to MINIs, suggestions

In the past week I purchased an 04' non S mini. (automatic). I was wondering what would be a good place to start with modifications. I'm already thinking of ordering a cold air intake, an exaust, and maybe sway bars but I talked to multiple people and got mixed oppinions on those 3 things. I also want an in dash dvd player, but I'm not sure if it will void the warranty or anything like that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks..
~~Dan, glad to be motoring

Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM, congrats on the new MINI, and best wishes for years of happy motoring!

As for mods, it's my opinion that there are as many opinions as there are members of NAM. You have to assess your own personal limits as far as "risk" relative to mod endeavors (i.e., if you're really stressing warranty issues, then maybe the slippery slope of engine mods isn't for you quite yet). Many folks keep their MINIs stock until warranty is no longer of concern. Personally, I've thrown caution to the wind (knock on lucky wood), and me-ified my MINI with the mods that make me happy ~ and in the end, being happy with your choices and decisions is what makes motoring most enjoyable.

There is an incredible collection of knowledge within NAM, and as you read the Forums you'll become comfortable with where your personal choices (and mods) take you.

Again...welcome!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:15 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
welcome, any mod you do to a car will void warranty in that area of the car. If you are worried about that, then wait for modifications until your warranty expires.

Not a fan of the in dash DVD, I would say look out the window and enjoy the environment you are driving in...but if you have kids, I can understand it, keeps them occupied, etc.

as for performance upgrades, on a CVT MINI, you won't see many performance gains, but the intake and exhaust do make it sound nice....although with the CVT, it may sound strange because there is not real reving of the engine...just one RMP, etc. You may actually lose some performance because with an exhaust, you lose some back pressure and low end torque, IIRC. I have both on my car, intake and exhaust, but it is a 5 speed, and even though there might have been a loss of torque, I love the sound.

I would go with a sway bar in the rear, not the front, brake upgrades like rotors and pads and SS brake lines, wheels and tires, etc. The stance of the car can really change even with a one inch suspension drop and a great set of rims.

Everyone has an opinion, and like stated above, it comes down to what you want, and what is important to you...if you want it, go for it, make it your own. click on my gallery for pics of what I have done to mine...and it is just that, mine, and I like it 03Indigo's Gallery

Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM
newunit
1st Gear
MC MODS

One of the first things I did in the way of mods was to order a bluefin ecu remap. Although somewhat of an expensive mod it will give performance gains. I would also look into a powertone exhaust. Although not very well known they were refered by mini dealership. I enquired about the JCW sound kit and the dealer said that I woudl not be happy with it. They then told me about powertone in Laguna Beach California. They have a muffler and tailpipe that will suffice a hungry MC owner. They have three mufflers to choose from even one that is not so loud if that is a concern to you. Also sway bar in rear and brake upgrades;SS lines, brass caliper bushings instead of the rubber factory ones. Suspension, Koni FSD's and possibly camber plates to prevent mushrooming of the strut towers. At the very least M7 stut reinforcement plates to also stem any mushroooming. Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
R50 Paul
4th Gear
I say join the BMWCCA or SCCA and attended a few auto x's. You'll quicly learn that it's not the mods that make the Cooper fast, but rather, the driver. If you like auto x enough, then I'd say get a set of lightweight wheels and sticky tires.