Cooper Club for Charities (c3) A MINI COOPER club supporting charities across the nation. Visit the club site at www.c3club.org

c3/Target Smart Car Tour June 25, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:09 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c3/Target Smart Car Tour June 25, 2005

Smart Car LA Film Fest 2005
One of the perks of being a c3 member is getting to participate in the Target Smart Car tours across LA, and this past weekend, 5 lucky individuals got a chance to see movie stars and relive the fun from the early days of MINI ownership, with endless waves, mile wide smiles, and thumbs ups!

Risked my life to take this pic of George Clooney

The day ends here with this blurry shot of George Clooney, only to be chased away by FBI wannabe security guys in dark suits and ear piece walkie talkies. The original shot from that moment is below, not very good, no thanks to a slow point and shoot camera I had. So I had to stand really far back, and use my digital zoom to shoot this picture. It's as though wearing a Target jumpsuit uniform, driving a Smart Car with Targets all over it, and having a red carpet alongside a wall full of Target logos doesn't give me the right to take a picture! Geeesh. But since I shouldn't spoil the story, let's see what lead up to all of this! Oh and don't worry, no lives were really risked in taking these pictures!!

Who are you?? You can't take pictures!!!

The security guards shoes

Jeanine and Shawn and Andy

The day began with the driver orientation meeting. Andy, Tour Manager, at the far right talks about the day as Jeanine and Shawn listen.

Maren and Charlie

Due to the somewhat random nature of the crew participants, the jumpsuits didn't necessarily fit all the drivers, but fortunately Maren came dressed all in black which was acceptable!

LA Traffic on a Saturday Morning

Caravan from Orange County to LA

Friendly People Everywhere

It's a great drive from Orange County. People left and right are staring, waving, and screaming out their windows that they LOVE Target!

Another Target Fan

Our first destination

Santa Monica Pier

Look at those crowds!!!

Shawn looking really cool

Parking on the Pier in Formation

Parking

As a Smart Car Tour veteran and leader, I positioned my car facing the entrance to the LA Film Festival and the other Smart Cars followed suit. Before we even finished parking curious people swarmed over to us.

Festival Entrance

Excitement everywhere

Starting to block traffic

Never Know Who Will be at the Pier!

Charles posing with his future wife and Andy is hinting we need to move, and FAST!

New Location

So the Harbor Police suggests we move down to the otherside of the pier. It's away from the activities, but it's right at the entrance to the pier, which turned out to be a great location!

Charles drawing a crowd!

Everyone wanted to sit!

Kids

Some parents brought their kids.

Kids?

Some couples brought "artificial" kids?

No shortage of attention!

Hey that's me showing the engine!

Mariachi Band

Even the musicians were curious!

Maren posing

She's such a sweetie!

Jeanine not looking her usual perky self!

Ok that's more like Jeanine!

This Cabbie was really interested!

But the stop light changed to green and we had to stop our conversation!

Next Stop- 3rd Street Promenade

This is why Smart Cars are such great city cars. Look at this spot that could normally only be occupied by a motorcycle!

4 cars for 1 meter?

Look at this, between the distance of 2 parking meters--we fit 4 Smart Cars side by side!!! The city will have to enact new laws for sure!

Quite a Crowd Developed!

Lunch Break!

20 minutes of rest for the hard working crew!!

Westwood

Making out way to the next stop, one of the crew radioed this reflection across the street, so I took a picture of it.

Crew Splits Up

Well with 2 Smart Cars hanging out at the red carpet, the rest of the crew and remaining 2 Smart Cars went to explore the surrounding cities. I stayed behind with Andy while the rest of the crew drove off!

Charles says Go Where??

Parking Garage

The Target Dog can Drive??

Too Far Removed from the Action

Might as Well Take a Nice Pic of the Car Instead!

After 9 hours, we were exhausted and glad to return to our "normal" lives, but a few days of rest and we're now ready for the next Target assignment!