Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

BROKEN Mini.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BROKEN Mini.....

I just got my Mini back and throuout the day, sometimes in downshifting, sometimes in accelerating, sometimes downshifting I'd get a thump from my engine bay. Thinking if related to engine mounting as I just added a flip-front, I paid it little mind thinking I'd have a look at it tomorrow.
So I am driving home from dinner and a louder thump followed by the engine cutting out with no smoke, fumes, liquids leaking out the bottom, and no cracks in the block that I can see I had a broken Mini again.

The Mini turns over, but does not start. Anyone have any guesses as to what may be wrong with her?

The link below is for any florida members so I will more likely see your replies faster on Sunshine Minis.

Thanks, Lance

http://www.sunshineminis.org/forums/...ic.php?t=10650

Old 10-05-2006, 04:35 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xanthus
ISo I am driving home from dinner and a louder thump followed by the engine cutting out with no smoke, fumes, liquids leaking out the bottom, and no cracks in the block that I can see I had a broken Mini again.
When an engine cuts out like this, it's usually electrical in nature. Fuel issues are usually accompanied by some sort of stumbling as the carb runs out of gas - unless yours is fuel injected, in which case a fuel delivery problem may cause a more sudden shut-down.

It may be indirectly related to the thumping you heard. The thumping could be caused by a few things... although the engine mounts would be the first things I'd check. Then suspension. Whatever is shifting may have shorted out and/or cut the ignition system.

Follow the primary leads from the distributor to the engine bay harness and makes sure everything is in order.

Make sure you're getting voltage at the ignition systemwhile it's cranking.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Xanthus
Well I found the issue.

The power to the starter was not tightened. It now starts like a champ, however when I shift into second from first OR third it goes into gear sounding like I missed a gear. You know that grinding, but short, then it pops into gear.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Xanthus
however when I shift into second from first OR third it goes into gear sounding like I missed a gear. You know that grinding, but short, then it pops into gear.
1. Clutch adjustment (not completely disengaging when the pedal is depressed).

2. Worn throw-out bearing (similar disengaging issues).

3. Worn syncros in the trans. Does it grind less if you shift slower or pause slightly between gears?

Not sure what else it could be.

When I drove my friends' '73 850, shifts had to be slow and deliberate or they would grind.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Xanthus
I am bringing it to someone next week to look at the transmission.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:47 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Good luck.

Also have them take a look at the motor mounts. Loose or broken mounts can cause wonky shifting problems as well.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Xanthus
Thank you. The rest for the most part is solid. Now to get looking into adjusta-rides and better brakes...