Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

MINI vs Mini (Can't we all get along?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:09 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI vs Mini (Can't we all get along?)

i was at a car show a couple weekends ago with my classic mini and a gentleman came up to me and asked me, "so, what do you think about the new MINI?" with quite a snobby attitutde. I answered "i love them, i have two!" he didn't know quite what to say and finally said, "oh." and walked away.

i've seen/heard about this attitude quite a bit pretty much ever since i bought my MINI in 2002. what is with this? if you don't like the new MINIs, fine, don't buy one. right? what harm is coming to the classic Mini community?

i don't understand it.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Red Erik
2nd Gear
Pride of History

I hear what you are saying. Recently, I ran into a classic Mini owner that works out of our office. I proudly announced my pending purchase of an '06 Mini. A smile, a sad, knowing nod and I was told "well that's quite nice really, if you can't find a classic!" Now we really poke at each other all of the time (I do have to say that the classic in question is a real gem) about which is better...classic or new. I think that it is just a simple matter of really loving your car. Sort of like my feelings about the new VW Beetle (ookie) versus the great looking original. I think that both classic and new Minis both look awesome, but there are probably folks out there that are quite loyal to either one or the other.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:44 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-19-2005, 07:45 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
It's really interesting to note the almost "anti new MINI" disdain that the Classic owners exhibit. I show my car a lot, and win some, lose some at the BCD shows. Lately, the "new MINI" is appearing more and more in a separate class, and this seems to pacify the Classic owners to some extent. Perhaps if Morris, Austin and Rover had been able to remain afloat, BMW wouldn't have needed to come in to resusitate this fantastic automobile.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:52 AM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
just negativity

some folks just need to assert that their choices are best, and due to feelings of being ?? (you insert word) , must slam others to feel better about themselves ... We all make choices for reasons, but some folks have no insight as to what there underlying reasons are... live and let live...

Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
HOLY!!! I know we all have issues, but those people are going....going.....GONE!!! I look foward to the day I get to meet someone and have em spout off like that. There are a few in a local club around here, but the only place I'd imagine them being so brave would be in front of their computers.... acting like we stole ALL their daughters or and all.

Live and let live says it all....

Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 AM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
I love all of our MINIs and Minis. I do respect the wishes of any particular show if specified, i.e. one with an age cutoff, or a group that specifies classics only. I dont understand it but will respect it....but wish those very vocal ones could offer the same if the gathering is obviously for Minis of all ages.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:18 AM
CasaMini
2nd Gear
The guys that really chap my nuts are the guys who hate New MINI's but think it's cool to put a Honda motor in a Classic Mini. To those I say: Buy a Honda and quit bastardizing a Classic.

Mad Dog

Old 10-19-2005, 10:22 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Since 2002, when the new MINI was introduced in North America, it has only been a positive thing for the classic Mini, as many of us want to own both! And I see that the classics are MORE than holding their value. I'm guessing the renewed interest in the marque has made the classics only that much more valuable and desirable. I'd love to have one.

Clover

Old 10-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Philthy
1st Gear
Well,I like the Mini however you chose to spell it. Some day I will probably own a new MINI,but in the mean time, I'm splitting my betwen the Mini and the VW. I guess I consider myself to be a VW guy with a serious Mini habit!!

Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Originally Posted by Philthy
Well,I like the Mini however you chose to spell it. Some day I will probably own a new MINI,but in the mean time, I'm splitting my betwen the Mini and the VW. I guess I consider myself to be a VW guy with a serious Mini habit!!
Or a Mini guy who has a VW problem?
'sOK, Phil. One of my kids has a VW habit.....don't know where I went wrong with her.
I think I am going to slap some counterfeit stripes on that thing one day when she's not looking.

By the way.....the Bi-Minual stickers are in 2nd printing production now (finally). Will post when they are ready.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
i'd like to see stickers for classics that say... "My other car is a MINI."

Old 10-19-2005, 02:33 PM
D1JL
3rd Gear
I am having a license plate frame made for my ’04 to say “My other car is SMALLER”.

Dave

Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM
dansmini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by STLMINI
i was at a car show a couple weekends ago with my classic mini and a gentleman came up to me and asked me, "so, what do you think about the new MINI?" with quite a snobby attitutde. I answered "i love them, i have two!" he didn't know quite what to say and finally said, "oh." and walked away.

i've seen/heard about this attitude quite a bit pretty much ever since i bought my MINI in 2002. what is with this? if you don't like the new MINIs, fine, don't buy one. right? what harm is coming to the classic Mini community?

i don't understand it.
The correct response to that gentelmans question would have been "Oh, I hate them. I bought one, hated it so much I bought another!"

Old 10-19-2005, 03:34 PM
hoopi
3rd Gear
They really are different cars for completely different markets. I do think it would be fun to have a vintage Mini, but from a practicality perspective, it isn't something I would want to drive to work everyday. I see a lot of restored ones around here, and they are really cool but compared to a new Mini's emissions, safety, etc. the cars are drastically different. It would have been impossible to reinvent the Mini and make it exactly like the original...

This "i hate change" trend is common in all car makes. There are Corvette owners that still think anything made now is terrible and lacks style, and Jeep owners who think anything with fuel injection isn't a real Jeep. :smile:

I guess some folks just have to get worked up about something!

Old 10-19-2005, 03:37 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by D1JL
I am having a license plate frame made for my ’04 to say “My other car is SMALLER”.

Dave
Very cool idea, Dave! Love that little Mini!!

Clover

Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
There are plenty of people who love Minis and MINIs, we just don't seem like a large group because we don't get into arguments or shouting matches about it. We're lovers, not fighters.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:27 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Originally Posted by D1JL

Dave
This goes well with the label I've heard several classic Mini owners apply to the new MINIs... They call the new ones "BIG MINIs", as in, "Oh you drive one of those BIG MINIs!" I guess when the stretch limo or estate wagon/SUV versions finally do arrive in a few years, they'll be the "E N O R M O U S MINIs"

_Dave_

Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 PM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
Originally Posted by STLMINI
i'd like to see stickers for classics that say... "My other car is a MINI."
I made this for my wife's Subaru. I have a vector file of it somewhere...

Old 10-19-2005, 05:58 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
There really is no reason for Mini owners to feel so threatened by MINIs.

But then is there ever a reason for these stupid, childish, pointless, rantings of insecure people who have to fill the void in their own personalities with negativity? Nah, I thought not.

mb

Old 10-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Manuel B
3rd Gear
My daily driver Mini is fuel injected, air conditioned, and rolls around on 12" wheels, many people in the classic fold do not consider mine to be worth owning, to them it MUST be a MK I, all else is junk.
I like them ALL !, big or small, new or old.
A lot of this type of resentment was heard among the Jaguar loyalists when Ford bought/saved that company, "real" Jag vs. Ford/Jag.
When Fiat bought Ferrari people thought the end of the world was near.
What I think is funny, is that BMW bought the Rover/MG group in 1994, so they were building "classics" for 7 years under the new ownership.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:48 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Peace love and happiness, yay!

Really what are some peoples problems? It's like they feel intimidated by our cars. If your a member of a community that shares a common interest in an awesome automobile, old or new, who cares! Seriously I think some people just do it to get the attention.

Mikey

Old 10-20-2005, 05:10 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Same Factory

I point out that my MINI was made in the same factory my Austin was and have a picture of new and old side by side and point out that a lot of effort was put forth to maintain the overall image. Most times I get hmmmmmm. And then I add I know which one is more prone to start every morning!

Altho many who come by simply want to reminisce: I use' to autocross one of those.....

Old 10-20-2005, 10:06 AM
CasaMini
2nd Gear
Here's an idea for a sticker for Bi-Minial owners.

"My other MINI is a Classic"

Mad Dog

Old 10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Philthy
1st Gear
I'm having "ORIGINAL SIZE" made into a sticker for my classic.

Quick Reply: MINI vs Mini (Can't we all get along?)