Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Differences in 1275cc engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM
mox
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences in 1275cc engines?

I am currently looking to buy a Classic Mini

I found a '93 which is super clean and I will do a test drive this weekend if weather permits it

Car has a 1275cc engine but I have no idea if it's the 50hp, 63hp or 90hp engine.

What should I look for under the bonnet to know which engine is in there?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
joltfreak
4th Gear
It would be very hard to tell by looking at it. I would just try to find the best mini possible bodywise and if it is a good runner, even better. A motor swap is easier and cheaper than doing the bodywork and paint.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
+1 on joltfreak's response. You just can't tell everything from the appearance, although you can distinguish between an A or A+ engine from the outside. Mine's an A from an Austin America probably, but has Cooper S pistons and crank, good cam, center oil pickup, etc. You couldn't know that by just looking. A dyno would be the only surefire way to know, but that could get pricey...

Old 02-20-2014, 05:54 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
IF the car is 100% stock/original you could pull up one of the many lists of model by year and determine what it came with .... IF ... and that will give you a starting point. Does the car actually produce that HP today is another question.

If the car has been modified - and that may be hard to tell from just looking as mentioned earlier - the equation gets more complicated.

What do you know? Have any pictures of the engine? What carb? Is it injected? (I forget what year SPi came about) All important factors. {is this the same 'British Open Classic' you asked about on 1/30?}

easiest way to tell an A from an A+ block: does the dip stick fit flush to the block or does it fit into a 'tube' that serves as a standoff to the block? Flush fit is the later A+. Can be confirmed by looking at the dizzy hold down. the A+ has a one bolt 'fork clamp'

while the older A has a 2 bolt collar arrangement.

additional: it is quite unlikely that it is the 90 hp engine as that one was a very limited production model according to this source which is a compilation of special models::

Mini Cooper S Works
Year: 1999 (March)
Based on: Mini Cooper
Engine: 1,275 cc
Exterior colour: Brooklands Green
Roof: Old English White

Exterior trim: Chrome grille, door handles and bumpers
Decals/badges: Coachlines with "S works" decals. Special red-winged badges front and back.
Interior: Alloy dashboard, door cappings, door furniture, and foot pedals; leather steering wheel and gear ****
Equipment: CD player, 12-inch alloy wheels
Production: 250
Options: Jack Knight 5-speed gearbox
Sportspack

With 90 hp output from its big-valve high-compression engine, the S Works is the most powerful Cooper ever made

{and 250 made . . . . }

ref: http://www.mini-le-register.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Last edited by Capt_bj; 02-20-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM
mox
2nd Gear
Looking at the engine

I think it's the A+ 50hp engine (red intake, low compression)

Only thing now that I have to investigate it's the "Emar Motor Sport" sticker..
Was it tuned by emarmotorsport.it ? I tried emailing them but their mailbox is full.. I wish I could find someone who know about that car to get more details about the history of that Mini