Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Need help with VTEC swap using MiniTec kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with VTEC swap using MiniTec kit

The instructions that you have to download off the website are not that detailed at all. I hope some of you installed the kit yourselves and can help answer some questions for me. First, I'm installing the MTB2 kit into an '85 RHD Austin Mini Mayfair using stock sheetmetal (no extended, fiberglass, or flip front) and the motor is a B18C5.

What size alternator belt do I need? The instructions don't mention a belt at all, and there isn't on included.

What type/size bolt did you use for the lower alternator bolt? My bracket has two different sized holes on either side that are larger than the stock alternator bolt? Maybe my bolt is not stock? Mine is flat and square on one end with about a 1/16" raised area that doesn't match the diameter of the hole in my alternator bracket.

Did you have to modify your alternator or the supplied alternator bracket so that the top of the alternator would bolt down properly? I'm wondering if my bracket is different, or my alternator is different from stock.

Did you have to grind off a chunk of the factory alternator bracket to mount the supplied bracket? I did and am curious if the B18C5 bracket is different.

What does the round mount connect to on the back side of the motor? I'm looking at the back of my motor and don't see what it should attach to. Anyone have a decent pic of the motor/trans installed in their subframe?

I'll have more questions to come, but this is what I'm trying to tackle at the moment.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:27 AM
2phun
4th Gear
I'll be of no use as far as information, but I'll be following this one for moral support!

Old 12-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Red Riley
2nd Gear
Your best bet, aside from calling the Mini Tec guys and asking them (#1 choice), would be to post on the www.vtecminis.com forum.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 AM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
I've called them several times already and the fact that I'm 6 hours ahead in Germany doesn't help. Half the time I'm working on the car they're closed. I'm already a member (apparently) over on VTECMinis so I'll get to posting over there.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Red Riley
2nd Gear
I can see how that would be a problem. They can be hard to get on the phone at times, even when you're in the same time zone. Just the nature of doing the swap demands a high level of ingenuity. You'll probably just need to try different bits until you find the right combination. I had MiniTec do the majority of the work on my car, and it's a D-series, so probably not much help there, but there is sure to be someone with similar problems on the VTEC Minis forum, or maybe on the www.16vminiclub.com forum, since most of the guys on there are in UK or Europe. Only drawback there is that I don't think too many over there use the MiniTec subbie. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:57 PM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
You're exactly right. The MiniTec kit is probably the most expensive one out there, plus shipping to Europe means that hardly anyone over here uses them.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
krazy
1st Gear
Hey eagle, I am beginning my work on my install so I can help you out a bit. I have a MTB2 kit going into a standard nose as well. B18B1 motor and trans. My mini is LHD however, something you should probably look into doing if you can.

They dont supply the altenator belt because each set up is supposedly different depending on the b-series you choose. Youre going to have to just mock it up and measure with a string and choose a belt that best fits at the local parts supplier, simple enough. The bolts basically are the stock ones used on the motor, but you have to modify certain brackets. I know I removed one bracket, and ground off a piece from another for the minitec one to fit. Just play around with it.

The round mount on the back attaches to the tranny. it should just rotate and one bolt across.