Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

HiLo & Ride Height + Air in brake system

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HiLo & Ride Height + Air in brake system

For the first time since September 2008, Nigel came off the jack stands and stood on his own 4 feet - or tyres if you prefer... The front and rear suspensions have been updated with new Rover rubber cones and a set of hilo's and KYB gas-adjust shocks. Suspension is repainted, rear radius arms remachined with new bearings and all bushings, bearings, swivel joints, etc, etc. front and rear are new.

Since I have not seen this car on anything other than jack stands for a year, I have little recollection about standard ride height - nor did I take notes as I originally did not intend to install hilo's. I have researched around and the only thing I can find on standard ride height is 13.5" +/- 0.37" from wheel center to wheel arch metal flange.

I tried to measure the old trumpets and set the ride height by estimating the length and comparing to the installed hilo's not the easiest thing to do. I have 10" mini-lites with Falken 165/70R10 tires. How is standard ride height determined and set - wheel center to arch flange or floor to flange and what are the appropriate dimensions.

What is a reasonable lower ride height that is appropriate for street only driving that does not create tire interference issues when turning or bottoming out issues when driving - not withstanding that our state flower in Michigan is the pothole

Thanks for any help......

No doors or finished trim yet. Alignment is set for this week so I can drive if I can get air out of brake system

As a PS question......

I am using cartel Dot 5 Silicon brake fluid. I have a new master cylinder, new wheel cylinders and all new lines. I have no air coming out any of the wheel cylinders after bleeding; however, one first push the brake pedal goes to the floor but when pumped gets hard - generates pressure that oes not bleed down. My assumption is that I am compressing air to get pressure, but since I get pressure the new master cylinder and wheel cylinders are good.

Any ideas on how to get air out of the system and where it might be airlocked? Is there anything else I should do other than bleed at the wheel cylinders? I filled it from scratch following the recommended sequence. I hate to keep pouring this high $ brake fluid through the system as I understand it should not be reused into the system as it will contain microscopic air bubbles.......?

Some pics of my progress..............first time out of the garage in a long time!

Special thanks to my biggest supporter in the background who made all things possible and tolerated the many hours of work

The family enjoys seeing Nigel outside. How do I tell the driver that Nigel has no rear seat belts and she can't go along for the first test drive

Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
for what it is worth my 79 is on 6x10 with the same tires and a decent set of standard cones and SPAX set to a medium setting. (susp tweeks for the wide wheels should not impact height)

measuring from the top of the seam 'lip' that runs at the top of the sill and just under the door to the ground I have 8" front measured at the front of this lip and 9 1/8 at the rear measured at the rear of the lip, car empty. With one person in the car - OK I'm 240 - I'll bottom out under the driver's leg area on the average speed bump unless I take it REAL slow. Two people on the car and I best find a way to go around. My exhaust, a PLAYMINI twin DTM center unit as sightly over 4 inches of clearance at it's lowest point which happens to be just about 'tween the rear wheels.

<It started life as a 79 1000 - rhd so don't let the body mods like a MK1 grill fool you.>

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-26-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:08 PM
qskapunk
3rd Gear
are your rear brakes adjusted properly? - a common cause for a spongey pedal that firms up after a pump

Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
I adjusted all the brakes after bleeding and there is no change to the condition - although I will recheck.......

Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nigel is looking mighty handsome!! The family seems to enjoy him as much as you do...including all the long hours. Take the Kid for some Ice Cream just the two of you and let her know that she's still more important than Nigel, the wife will understand.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:25 AM
OKMini
4th Gear
qskapunk -

Tightened all drums adjusters to lock the wheels and got a brake pedal. Very logical now that I think about it. Its amazing how frustrated you can get and logical thought goes out the window!