Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Laws and Contacts

Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Big Norm's Avatar
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline
6th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Posts: 1,284
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing Laws and Contacts

Here are all the details in reguards to importing laws, importing regulations and limitations


It is not easy for US citizens wanting to bring a Mini into the US. Depending on the specific situation, can range from a mild hassle, to hard, to very difficult, to impossible. You will have to deal with Environmental Protection Agency emission issues and Department of Transportation requirements for safety equipment and standards. Of course, you will have to pay duty on the vehicle as well, 2.5% for a car.
This page provides information for importing a vehicle into the U.S. , including requirements of the U.S. Customs Service and those of other agencies. Since requirements are subject to frequent changes, contact information has been provided for the agencies mentioned. Be sure to contact these agencies (particularly EPA and DOT) before importing your vehicle.

As a general rule all motor vehicles imported into the United States that are less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS), or be brought into compliance with the FMVSS by a Registered Importer.
Imported motor vehicles are subject to U.S. safety standards, bumper standards, and air pollution control (emission) standards. Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards are exported expressly for sale in the United States; therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Nonconforming vehicles entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.
All regulations of Customs and other agencies are not covered in full, and they are subject to change. Before importing your vehicle, be sure to contact the Customs Attaché or Commercial Officer at your nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy, or the appropriate agency below (particularly DOT and EPA):

Customs Service
If you are outside the United States , contact the Customs Attaché or Commercial Officer at your nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
U.S. Customs Attaches Throughout the World
U.S. Customs Officers in Foreign Countries
Contact a U.S. Customs Port
U.S. Customs Service
Washington, DC 20229
Telephone (202) 927-6724

Department of Transportation (DOT)
DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website
Telephone: (202) 366-5313
Fax: (202) 366-1024
U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Director of the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance (NEF-32)
400 7th Street SW
Washington, DC 20590


Last edited by Big Norm; 11-16-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: updated
Old 11-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Minimad is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,539
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM
TooFPaste39's Avatar
TooFPaste39 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC / Arkansas
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you explain the 2.5% duty tax? Is that 2.5% of the total vehicle price?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 PM
pilotart's Avatar
pilotart is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida, South Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,257
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Petition started to change 25-year import rule to 15 years

Go here:

To read about and link to a White House Petition to change 25 year rule to 15 years, there are about 11,000 of the 25,000 needed so far (time limit was 11/09/11 through 12/09/11).

I only just now found out about it.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:35 PM
TooFPaste39's Avatar
TooFPaste39 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC / Arkansas
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to update this w/ the POC's that I went through.

For shipping from the UK to Galveston TX, I contacted [email protected]

And for handling customs paperwork here stateside, I went through:

Customs Import Service Inc.Port Office
A.J. "Johnny" Campbell Sr.
33435 Dobbin Hufsmith Rd.
Magnolia, Tx. 77354
Office: 281-356-9500
Fax: 281-356-9494
[email protected]
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
MINIs & Minis for Sale
01-27-2016 12:33 PM
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
10-20-2015 09:42 AM
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
10-10-2015 10:42 AM
Doc Pain
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
09-29-2015 06:11 AM
1st Gear
09-28-2015 12:16 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing Laws and Contacts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.