R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Current Day R53 as a DD?

Old 09-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Fourflys
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Current Day R53 as a DD?

I've done the search and found a couple threads, but not a whole lot...

I've got the go-ahead to get a MINI and am looking hard at an R53. I'm looking at R56 MCS as well, but since my self-imposed top of my budget is $15k I'm limited with a 2011 or newer (N18 engine and all).

So that leaves me looking at the R53, which I think I like better anyway.

My main concern is this will be my daily driver. Should I be worried?

I fully realize the history of the car is the most important, but should I be looking at something around 70k miles? 100k? I'm not afraid to travel a few hundred miles to get what I want...

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just get a really well maintained r53 and you'll be fine.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
why would an r53 not be a good DD? not sure why you would think this

Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Get an '05 or '06 6-speed. As a condition of purchase, get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) from a qualified independent shop with no ties to the seller. A car that has had twice as many oil changes as MINI requires would be a +. Compression and leak-down test values are imperative. Always factor in to your offer necessary repairs to bring it up to snuff (suspension, brakes, tires, cooling system, crankshaft damper, serp. belt and tensioner, etc.)

Old 09-28-2015, 07:02 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Get an '05 or '06 6-speed. As a condition of purchase, get a PPI.
Always factor in to your offer necessary repairs to bring it up to snuff (suspension, brakes, tires, cooling system, crankshaft damper, serp. belt and tensioner, etc.)
+1

As I mentioned in another thread assume there might be another $3-5k you will need to spend on initial repairs, then set aside $200 per month for ongoing maintenance.

If your willing and prepared for that the R53 makes a fantastic daily driver.

I put almost 140k miles on mine before deciding to give the car to my son. I was happy with the car and kept it well maintained but decided to "bring everything up to snuff" before handing the keys over, which took almost $5k (clutch, flywheel, shocks, rebuilt suspension, leaky engine mounts, tires, brakes...)

We then drove the car 2500 miles cross country with no issues and it is now my son's daily driver.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 AM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agree with all posts above. Keep on top of the "wear/maintenance items", and the MINI will keep on motoring. I use mine as a DD, no problems other than putting more miles on is than i would like to....

Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourflys
I've done the search and found a couple threads, but not a whole lot...

I've got the go-ahead to get a MINI and am looking hard at an R53. I'm looking at R56 MCS as well, but since my self-imposed top of my budget is $15k I'm limited with a 2011 or newer (N18 engine and all).

So that leaves me looking at the R53, which I think I like better anyway.

My main concern is this will be my daily driver. Should I be worried?

I fully realize the history of the car is the most important, but should I be looking at something around 70k miles? 100k? I'm not afraid to travel a few hundred miles to get what I want...

Thanks,
Chris
You should be able to pick up a nice under R53 for under $8000 or so. My JCW R53 is my daily driver....I have around 135,000 miles on it now.....no problems with it that have kept me from getting to work in the mornings

Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Fourflys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
why would an r53 not be a good DD? not sure why you would think this
What I meant by the questions is that is as cars age, they tend to get less reliable. Some cars more than others... I just wasn't sure how an R53 faired...

Thanks for all the replies!

Chris

Last edited by Fourflys; 09-28-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Hobine
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently got a 2004 R53 with 33k on it. Been my daily driver for a month or so. Besides fresh oil and filters, I replaced the leaky overflow tank and dried out intake hose. I did struggle with a couple electrical quirks that I think I've finally got under control.

$200 a month for maintenance? That's a frightening thought.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Fourflys
2nd Gear
So I think I might have found a MINI! I'm going to look at a one owner, with maintenance records, 2005 BRG S tomorrow... This might be the one!

Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobine
I just recently got a 2004 R53 with 33k on it. Been my daily driver for a month or so. Besides fresh oil and filters, I replaced the leaky overflow tank and dried out intake hose. I did struggle with a couple electrical quirks that I think I've finally got under control.

$200 a month for maintenance? That's a frightening thought.
You should be fine for a long time. Clutch should hopefully last to at least 100k or more depending on how many highway miles you put on it. Same goes for suspension parts. That guy replaced that plus more around 140k miles. Nothing to be frightened about for at least a few more years.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
What I meant by the questions is that is as cars age, they tend to get less reliable. Some cars more than others... I just wasn't sure how an R53 faired...

Chris
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-s-buyer.html

Read this current post to get an idea

Old 09-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
These care are not spring chickens anymore yet the same tired line of buy an 05-06 comes up. They're all pretty old cars at this point and a lot of gaskets and o-rings did not age like wine. It would not matter if you bought one with low miles. This is not like finding Grandma's low mile beige Camry in the garage, which would be leak free.

MINI's love to leak oil!

You need to take stock before buying:

Do you like to drink a lot?

Does the idea of smoking a bowl to settle your nerves sound like fun.

Have you ever suffered from mechanic's rage?

Are you willing have ESC Tuning on speed dial for oil pan gaskets and other sundries? ( I think oil pan gaskets are now sold in bulk packs of ten along with CPS o-rings.)

Have ever seen parts back ordered for 30 days or more?

Have you ever broke an oil filter housing that costs a few hundred because of a .10 cent part that is not sold seperately? With a MINI there's always that chance.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:01 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts

Chris
That could be said for people as well as cars. Preventive maintenance is good for both!

Old 09-29-2015, 06:30 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear

Chris
well with typically all older cars, there will be issues, but atleast most of them are complied in this forum. preventative maint goes a long way. many r53s have been easily over 100k, some even on this forum have gone over 200, some even further than that

Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Get an 05 or 06 and leave some room in your budget for maintenance and repair. You should have plenty of room with a $15K budget.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '04 S has been my daily driver since new and has never let me down. I have obviously had repairs and maintenance costs during those 115,000 miles, but nothing crazy. A well maintained R53 can be a suitable daily car if you are reasonably mechanical and keep and eye on it and fix stuff as it comes up (don't ignore the occasional odd noise, and don't forget to check fluids and such regularly).

Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM
dongood
4th Gear
More info on that $200 per month

The R53 is a highly tuned athlete, and like all athletes they must be regularly maintained.

I am a spirited driver (not aggressive), with a wife who would rather spend a few hours blasting along the back roads than watching a movie. Easily driving 20k miles per year.

And I don't do my own maintenance, although with the R59 that might change.

I feel setting aside $200 dollars per month insures that you will always be able to cover the unexpected, and the leftover helps cover your next car.

Keeping in mind I do not perform my own maintenance, drive a lot, SoCal labor rates, and rounding up to the nearest 100

4 oil changes per year @$100 each
1 axle brake job every year and a half @$500
New tires every year and a half @ $600-$900 depending on the tires.
2 clutches over the life of the car @$1500 and @2200 (flywheel 2nd time)
And don't forget hoses, belts, and the other items.

The car is an absolute blast and I consider all of the above as simply the price of admission. If you don't want to have to do this kind of regular maintenance then a boring Honda or Toyota would be the better choice.

Reliable? 100%.

Reliability has nothing to do with the cost of maintenance. Reliability is all about getting from A to B when you need or want to.

My R53 never let me down, and as long as my son takes the same level of care it should last him another 100k miles or more.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:49 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Wow!!! Dongood........you could save a fortune doing all that work on your own.....but time is money, so I can understand why some people choose to have shops do the work for them.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:17 AM
shipjumper
4th Gear
i just got an 06 for mine. it has been 100% for me, yeah I did the CPS seal, LOF, but no problems for the past 10K. I did get a low mileage example with only 35K on it.

Im also a service manager at a MINI dealership, so i see the R55 and R56s in here all the time, but the R53s up here in VT all have the same issues, blown struts over 100K, hard brake lines leaking, and oil / power steering leaks.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As almost everyone has said, get a well maintained 05 or 06 and it should be a great daily driver. I have an 2006 with 92,500 miles and it is more reliable than most new cars. I am already planning to take it across country and back for MTTS next summer.

In nine years the only time I was stuck on the side of the road for a little while, was when the accelerator pedal started to die (electronic rheostat wore out). I cleared codes and was on my way again. Pedal was $100 and easy to replace when I got home.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Fourflys
2nd Gear
So I went and look at this today, the airbag light came one while I was driving it. The owner is taking it to MINI tomorrow to have it checked out. If all goes well, I think I'll buy it... 2005 MCS with Chrono Package, LSD, 87k miles, one owner with service records.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 PM
BernieCoop
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The airbag light is a common fault and there is a recall out on it. Something to do with the weight sensor in the seats.

But to add to the thread, my R53 has been problem to problem since I bought it in 2011. Got it at 92k, just flipped over 140k today. I'll never get rid of my Mini, but out of the 4 years I've owned him, I've only been able to drive him maybe 50% of that. Sucks paying for something you can't use. Given that 10 months of that was because of front-end damage. The rest is due to things failing. A/C clutch coil burned out which made driving in the heat unbearable. I do not believe I'll ever buy another Mini.

My suggestions: Avoid the automatics. Other common faults include crank pulley, speed sensors, and power steering pump. Preventative maintenance is what will save you down the road with the R53. Speed sensors are cheap on eBay. I have had mine for 3 years now, no issue. Crank pulley just needs upgraded to the ATI or PRW before it implodes. Power steering pump just needs dealt with too. Also, no such thing as lifetime fluid, so get the transmission fluid flushed as soon as the budget warrants it. If you love your MINI, it'll love you back or at least it'll try its damnedest!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Everyone keeps saying preventative maintenance is the best. Yes changing your fluids is a very good idea but other than that what can you do?

All these things are going to wear out: tensioner pulley, power steering pump, suspension parts, clutch, crank pulley, antifreeze reservoir. These have a very good chance of failing: head gasket, supercharger (gear oil anyway) ac compressor (coil) In salt states add things like parking brake cables and steering shaft u-joint.

Are you going to prevent all these things from failing by replacing them before they go?

Old 09-30-2015, 04:44 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
very nice looking r53 there, the LSD youll love, makes driving a lot more fun since oyull be able to put power down. the airbag light is on an active recall right now, many other people have this issue, the mini dealer may not take care of it right away since they are still in process to get everyone in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 Current Day R53 as a DD?