Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Parts Suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Steve.in.Roanoke
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts Suppliers

I'd sure appreciate a listing of parts vendors in the US that are willing to help this novice find misc. interior parts.

Compared to other "marques" I'm finding the Mini to be quite a challenge.

HELP !!!

Signed: Frustrated '78 Leyland Mini owner

Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
Steve, is that Roanoke VA?

If so, try www.coopertune.com ask Steve about parts and what nots. I'm not certain he'll have what you want, but it's worth a try.

John

Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
joltfreak
4th Gear
or http://www.mrmini.com i know that he is north of the border but he's a great soruce.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
We have brake pads for the Mini's too. Just PM me year, model and such for pricing.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Steve.in.Roanoke
1st Gear
MD.IN.UK
Yep, Star city of the South.
I went to your suggested "coopertune" & aside from some great restoration photos, can't seem to get a handle on parts he may have, where he's located, or???

Please pass on any other info, I feel like I'm just blind to finding things that should be right here in front of my face.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
qskapunk
3rd Gear
in no particular order, although Heritage Garage is my personal fav.
www.heritagegarage.com
www.gbcarparts.com
www.vipernoir.com
www.minicityltd.com
www.minimania.com
www.minimotors.com - owned by MiniMania and offers the same parts at cheaper prices!
www.minispares.com - UK, every once in a while it's cheaper to get the parts overseas
www.minisport.com - UK

Old 09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
don't forget that MOSS which previously sources all Mini parts from their UK operation has just recently released a US catalog....perhaps connected to their relocation of their east coast operation to Richmond VA?

and another source is www.7ent.com

but I do note that you say interior parts.... MOSS is at least showing a lot in their new catalog but when I've needed a true interior part (I replaced the lower dash pad) I've needed to go to MiniSport in the UK directly.....

but what are you looking for? it may be best to just pick up a copy of MiniWorld at the local Barnes and Noble or Borders (not all carry but many do) http://www.miniworld.co.uk/ and look at the many vendors in there.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Steve.in.Roanoke
1st Gear
Capt. BJ
I want to do something for the dash, (as it's in a shambles) and thought the carbon fibre route would work. GB says not in stock & don't know when if ever.

Odometer is broken & if I could get a reasonable deal on entire speedometer fuel gauge, I'd go that route. GB didn't have.

Want to freshen up the air vents, b.o.

Need to do something about the wiper switch as it just froze up, again b.o.

I'm just trying to figure this all out. When I want something for my vintage Corvette I just go to the catalog or online, call my favorite vendor, and he sends it on in just a day or two. Ditto for MG & Spitfire. Even the Model A.

For the Mini it seems to me like there's a huge gap between figuring what parts I need, if they're made, and who to get 'em from.

I could probably build anything I need, chase down any shortcomings, and figure it all out. But with 5+ million of these built, someone's already done the legwork. Who ???

Many Thanks for help here. Yep I'm feelin frustrated...

Steve.in.Roanoke

Old 09-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
WOW - OK - all over the map here but let me try to put out a fire or two

1. As compared to your 'Vette....the Mini wasn't legal for sale after the mid 60's so who stocks parts for it? A vette....any parts store. A "never legally imported to the states Mini"? Yes as a collector car they are legal now...only LEGAL to import if over 25 years old (many GREY in the states) but what shop wants to stock parts for an illegal import?

2. You want CF dash? That's not the same as searching for original replacement parts. Which is a point that had me wondering fm ur first post...there ain't many original dash trim parts....

3. OD is broken? check any issue of MiniWorld, there are several folks who say they can repair SMITH's parts .... and suppliers for new. I bought my Mini 4 years ago with a locked odometer. Has not been a problem with state or insurance yet..... "known to be in error" works for the MILES, and I know my speed is off by 10 at anything over 30

No intention to dis' .... if the Mini is your first excursion to "classic world" ..... ummmmm .... welcome

whoops...sorry , I see you mention MG and others....then I'm surprised....Mini is easy!

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-16-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
If you are looking for interior, most suppliers get theirs from Newton Commercial http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/mini/index.jsp

Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Smith's instrument repair

http://www.nisonger.com/instrument-rebuilding.htm

these guys advertise in Classic Motorsports ... :

You will always receive back the same instruments that you send to us -- ours is not an exchange program! Our "factory trained" technicians can rebuild virtually any Post WWII Smiths & British Jaeger instruments to function as new. All of our rebuilds are calibrated to OEM specifications using Original Smiths "Factory" Calibration Equipment and are guaranteed for one year.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Steve.in.Roanoke
1st Gear
Mercy - Send me your email addy, I'm familiar with the area you're located.

Guess I wasn't too clear, I don't mind waiting for parts (within reason) just trying to figure out what it is I need & how to make it happen.

I DO understand the "gray market" issues as they pertain to most all industries. This car was imported by a service man legally over 25 years old. (the car, not the guy)

Newton's site is the most informative I've seen yet. If I go with an original dash, then there are the two panels on each side of the center binnacle, and the bottom pad? Is there some other type of insulation/padding needed?

I just figured it'd be easier to put in a dash, but it doesn't seem so.

No MiniWorld @ Barnes & Noble. Magazine for new Mini's only.

The analogy I was trying to make regarding the Corvette is that they have a network set up between the suppliers, so if the selected vendor doesn't stock something he has it drop shipped from another vendor. It saves on keeping up with numerous vendors, plus individual shipping from each.

Appreciate all feedback.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
what constitues an original dash depends on the year and the model.

The oldest had just the bottom pad and a center mounted speedo (no wize cracks) with the gas gau' built in

Later the center mount grew to include temp and oil pres' gau to each side; and eventually there was a top pad in addition to the bottom pad. The shelf was really just covered in a black material in all I saw.

the models that came with a tach had it mounted at the base of the wheel I think

and later everything moved in front of the wheel.

You can find a bunch of wood dash kits. and the dash is so simple that a decent woodworker or metal worker can make somethinf that fits w/out much trouble. That's why I rec a look at a few MiniWorld cuz you see EVERYTHING.

Here's my setup. I have the basic 3 dial center pod, but it is covered by what's called a ROKEE wood dash. Some ofthese come with side vents but mine doesn't have; this is a 'classic' kit but I believe there's a company producing them again. It comes in 3 pieces and provides a glovebox door on each side....I welded up some actual boxes that I placed behind those doors. You see I have a console....these are wood kits too and readily available. On the pass side I have a Smith's clock....and an AutoGau' tach hides in the corner on my side... The door hardware is available as a set .... and it is actually easy to make door cards from scratch because they are flat...but these too are available from many sources. Cobra classic seats, lowered steering col (a simple bracket) and a 10" wheel; safety devices 6 point cage and Newton carpets. Just some ideas....the wiring in the dash is SIMPLE (in the whole car it is simple!) so pretty easy to do just about anything....

Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
Steve, when does the new carbon fiber dash come? Be sure to take some pics!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Steve.in.Roanoke
1st Gear
The shipping update shows this Friday, six working days from Nevada to Virginia!

Will photo, though progress may be slow due to other commitments.

Any suggestions on where to get a faux "carbon fibre" material that I could use for accents? Peel & stick? Just thinking ahead.

Steve

Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
where are you going to put that? Try this link. They have a lot of carbon fibre materials. http://dragonplate.com/

Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Carbon Fiber sheets in 5 colors - auto grade adhesive back - cut with scissors. As show in Classic Motorsports July 08, pg 96

This is not knock off - but the real deal....sample listing

Performance Carbon Fiber Fabric Large Sheet-Black (2x2 Weave) Size 480mm x 600mm / 18.9" x 23.62"
Black Carbon Fiber Fabric 2x2 Weave
Part Number: 70081-03, Our Price: $99.95
Buy Now

http://www.slymachines.com/

Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
Nice link. BJ.. did you restore your 79? Any more pics of it? It is beautiful.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
OC - Da Orange Crate - has a history here if you go back a few years.

A guy fm Florida imported it unseen fm UK as it turned legal (a 79 with MOT as it arrived on this shore). Almost b4 he got it he turned it up 4 sale and I offered his askin' price unseen. (note, I'm not placing numbers here....)

There were then two trips from Va to FL but I eventually bought the car.

I did not restore it, I bought it substantially as you see it. I describe the car as a UK kid's hot rod.

What I have done for the last few years is replace/redo crap work but strive to maintain the UK hot rod look. I've learned to weld and bought a Miller MIG so I could replace a bunch of metal. I've stripped undercoating to find crap metal and weld in new. I've stripped the interior, put in new metal and carpets (buy cheap carpets and have problems...buy Newton and they go in fast....)

It is FAR from original....yet VERY original. It is a UK hot rod
and NOT a Cooper

1979 Saloon 1000
now:
1275, HIF6+K&N cone (approp needle), LCB, PlayMini DTM stainless exhaust

Cooper 7.5 disks, MiniLite knockoffs (if anyone can identify the make....) 6x10....SPAX all around

Rokee wood dash, Cobra classic seats, Safety Devices 6 point roll cage, lowered 10" steer-wheel, console + stereo, Newton Carpets, alloy pedals and door hardware, handle cups, a glass front clip...debumpered and debaged

MK1 grill and tail lites, big arches (needed for 6x10 to MOT in UK), bullet mirrors, Angle Eye headlamps...I gotta look at pix to remember it all. Color is genuine Chevy truck engine orange with a black roof.....

Two time winner - best in class - Williamsburg VA all British Car Show -

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-22-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
The mod that caught my attention was all the MK1 work.. front mustache and grille, and tail lights.. very nice ride. The front end comes completely off? Is that all metal or glass?? Like the round butt and front.. I bought all Newton interior, door cards dash, headliner, carpets, all worth the extra cost. I have MK3 seats in mine just for comfort, I drive mine everywhere. As far as the wheels on yours they look like original Minilites..you have spacers on all four wheel? They look like they stick out there pretty wide.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Everything front of the WS is glass. Many fit this as a flip front but mine is a two piece. The traditional bonnet is held on by 4 clips. The rest of the front clip is held on by 4 bonnet straps and two hood clips. All electrics run thru a 'trailer' multi-plug so I have full headlights (hi-lo AND angle eye) and turn sig's.

The t-lite is a plate you can weld in....easy if you have the technology..... A week after I bought the car I signed up for welding class and ordered a Miller MIG unit......

replacing front drums from a Saloon 1000 with Cooper disks pushed the fronts out.....when I got OC, this was matched with a set of 1 1/4 rear spacers to even things out. What came first? The spacers or the 6 inch wide wheels? I dunno ......

I just had to order another set of the spacers cuz I stripped a lug ..... in stock at Mini Mainia,

end result is (replacement) front Cooper disks; back, stock drums plus 1 1/4 spacers (MiniMania available) to support my 6x10 MiniLite knockoffs (I've had hours of arguments/discussions with folks as to if these are Mini-Lite or a knock off. There are no manufacturing marks.... Anyone????)

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-23-2008 at 04:45 PM.