Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

WoW Check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Mini-Lad
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WoW Check this out!

I found this lady who is selling a mini that she barely drove and it was registered as a 70's model but I know it is a 90's by the look of it and she is selling this thing for fricken $2900 but then I got to pay shipping but it is here in the states!! It's a cooper with a 1275 raced tuned with 6point roll cage and everything. Only like 48,000 miles! Look at it! Should I ????

She has more pictures but I didn't want to put too many on the post.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Even if it turns out to be a total rust bucket, you could probably part it out and make a profit with all the extras on it

Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Fidge
4th Gear
HAHAHA, pretty funny lol, now whats the catch or the real price? Because just about anyone would jump on 2900 for that

Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch out. It could be a scam.

Last edited by cooper99; 12-03-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 PM
2phun
4th Gear
I'm kinda with Fidge...something a bit fishy with a price like that. Unless it was her husband's and they are in a divorce or something.

If you do buy it, have Phoenix Cargo hand deliver the money upon pick up of the vehicle and they can make sure all the paperwork it legit before you hand over the cash.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the Buy it now price it is a steal if it is on the level. If I had the $ I would jump on it in a heart beat. That is assuming it is on the level.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Mini-Lad
1st Gear
ok it was on ebay but once she sent me the email abou tit then it just disappeared. I think it is a scam lol. MAN! I am going to keep sending email to find the full story lol. If it is real then I am all over it but I know ebay deletes them if they think it is a scam.

I just read the ebay sam info and it seems like she is trying to steal my dollares!

I am going to ask her if she can put it on ebay again lol.

Gosh! so close to getting a mini! Good think I didn't buy it and loose my cash.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Mini-Lad
1st Gear
This is what her email said

Hi,
Sorry for delay, The price that i want to obtain is $2,900 ( including shipping and insurance charges). The price is considerably lower then others on the market because i need to sell it really fast. The vehicle was never crashed, abused or raced. i always garaged it and serviced it, kept very good care of it!. The vehicle is currently located in Laurel MT but unfortunately i am in Chicago IL, planning to open a business here and i do not think i can come sooner then next month. However i can arrange for the paperworks from here and i can talk to a shipping company to deliver the vehicle to your address. i think it is impossible to buy a vehicle without having an inspection first. So i had a look on Ebay and i saw they could help us with this. Since the transaction worths a lot of money they have suggested to make the deal only through Ebay so that we will not have any problems. Regarding the payment i am aware of the buyer's protection and we will use Ebay's motors vehicle purchase protection program which will hold the payment until you receive the car. By making a deposit you are not buying the car, is just the way the program works( and in case you buy the car it will give you a 1 month 1000 miles guarantee). However, it is 100% refundable if the car is not as described.
I've got photos of the car hosted on Internet at the following link: http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd271/AUSTINROVERMINI/
If you are interested in this car please provide me the following information's necessary to take a decision:
-your full name and address for shipping.
-Ebay ID
-your phone #
Once again i apologies for requesting this but i need to be sure i am dealing with interested people as i really do not have much time to spear.
Thank you for your time.
Joy Thurner

The only thing that didn't make it sound like a scam was that she would still do it through ebay. I know that if they try to do it through an email and make it look like ebay then it is a scam. Can't tell if this chick(if it is a chick) is really selling it lol.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Hey Mini-lad,

It's a scam. Way too cheap. The car is stateside (in US?) yet it looks like it was photographed in a European city. The grammar in the email is pathetic--not what you would expect from someone who plans to open a business in Chicago (unless it's a meth lab).

At this kind of price, I would be suspicious if I were looking at it in person. Never raced... then why does it have a full roll cage and hi-perf. built engine?

Last edited by dimini; 12-03-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dimini
Hey Mini-lad,

It's a scam. Way too cheap. The car is stateside (in US?) yet it looks like it was photographed in a European city. The grammar in the email is pathetic--not what you would expect from someone who plans to open a business in Chicago (unless it's a meth lab).

At this kind of price, I would be suspicious if I were looking at it in person. Never raced... then why does it have a full roll cage and hi-perf. built engine?
that's what i was thinking too. It's a nice looking mini though.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 PM
RedOut
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at the third picture, at the red car above the passenger seat. It looks like a citroen, and the wide yellow plate looks european as well...

Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RedOut
Look at the third picture, at the red car above the passenger seat. It looks like a citroen, and the wide yellow plate looks european as well...
Also, if you look at the building in the background of the last picture, you can see the name/logo of "Westland Energie", which I believe is based in and operates in the Western Netherlands, so I would bet that's where the pictures were taken.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Mrono
3rd Gear
er, I don't think "never been raced" and full roll cage go together...

Not to mention the 6 point(i think) harness

Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
it was registered as a 70's model but I know it is a 90's
That car looks like a classic Mini lovers "wet dream". It is customized extremely nice and it totally reaks of nothing but perfection.

Do you think that owner would make such a gross mistake in a simple registration form and be off by decades? How did she ever manage to get the right parts?

"if it sounds too good to be true,..."

Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I say scam as well....a great looking MINI like that and the situation just seems odd. If you tell them you are there and want to look at it and can see it would be another story but it would have to be a paperwork in hand deal.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:43 AM
2phun
4th Gear
If you are hunting around for an overseas Mini, here's the best place to look. This is used more for the locals than for folks like us, so the main nervousness about scams will be from the sellers thinking that YOU are bogus rather than the other way around. Just ask for lots of photos or have RAC go inspect it or you, because the one photo won't do much for you. Prepare for hours and hours of drooling...

http://www.magazineclassifieds.co.uk/search/miniworld/

I wouldn't spend another moment's thought on the one mentioned in this thread. Obviously someone nabbed some photos from the internet and is trying to get your cash.

Last edited by 2phun; 12-04-2007 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:54 AM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Very common ebay scam, do NOT go through with it.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 AM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
Westland energie, is indeed in the netherlands... :( but it is a pretty car! You could ask her to take the car to her city limits, and take a picture of it with the city's sign behind her to verify it is in the states

Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just tell them you have a relative that just happens to live in Laurel Montana and since it is such a small town (pop. 6000) it would only take a few minutes for them to come over and check it out and you won't even have to arrange for shipping.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Just tell them that you'd happily pay the asking price, but you are in Nigeria and you need her help to get to your money...

Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2phun
Just tell them that you'd happily pay the asking price, but you are in Nigeria and you need her help to get to your money...

Old 12-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Duane
2nd Gear
Another scam Mini in MT

There was another Mini on Ebay from Laurel MT that was pulled a few days ago. It was a purple one.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
I noticed that all of the scam adds/auctions always want $2900. There must be some kind of more severe penalty or some kind of trade law for transactions over $3000 so they do $2900 to be safe.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by stratman977
I noticed that all of the scam adds/auctions always want $2900. There must be some kind of more severe penalty or some kind of trade law for transactions over $3000 so they do $2900 to be safe.
Good point. I do believe you are right about that. Seems I read something about that in a completely unrelated forum somewhere.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take a guess... $3k is the tipping point between a felony and a misdemeanor? Or perhaps the threshold below which postal inspectors get involved? I'm sure that's for a reason - good catch!!!

Quick Reply: WoW Check this out!