Chicago MINI Motoring Club The Chicago MINI Motoring Club Forum. Visit our club site at www.chicagominiclub.com

Road America Private Track Rental. Minis invited!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure what happend to the C5 was preventable, short of changing the tranny.

The Porsche probably was; ten is not the most common place to lose it though. It is right before the kinks though, which puts the fear of god into people...

Three cars damaged in accidents out of 150 is more than I've ever seen, short of an accident (fortunately those are few and far between at HPDE's). Its usually one or none. But the main thing is no one was seriously hurt.

My only point was that its fairly rare for that many cars to get seriously damaged at and HPDE--just hate to see anyone turned off of HPDE's because of what happend...These are usually safe events, with few to none accidents, although mechanical breakdowns do occur on occasion.

Just out of curiousity, was this classified as an HPDE, or an open track without instructors? I'd like to maybe do this with you guys next year, depending on the classification (non-HPDE can have insurance issues, although these are not insurmountable).

Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We call it a "track tour with available instructors". We had 6 instructors available for ride alongs. Not timed, and non-competitive. Not officially a HPDE, though.

http://roadamerica.fbody.us/techinfo.html

There are always a few guys that are typically pushing the limits of their cars and their driving ability. If they have the bank roll to fix their car and are willing to dance with the edge of adhesion, it's difficult to keep them restrained.

I realize that the "3 out of 150" on Saturday might seem high, but when taken into context of an accident free Saturday and Sunday at our April event and an accident free Sunday, the bigger picture allows me to state that there were 3 accidents this year on 4 track days with 150 cars each day (or 3 out of 600). The fact that all 3 incidents occurred separately but on the same day sensationalizes it a little bit, I imagine.

As for the C5 with the automatic, I only say it was "preventable" since he probably should have manually held it in the lower gear during the turn so that the possibility of a surprise downshift isn't possible as he was accelerating out.

Exiting 10 is where I think the Porsche went off track, so I believe we are talking about the same part of the track.

I'll post again when we receive our reserved dates for the April event.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:50 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks--I'd like to join you guys in April if schedule permits and space allows. I'll have to check into the insurance, but its no big deal to get track day insurance for a day if need be.

Do you guys break it up into groups by experience, or cars?

Again, thanks for all the info--I'm looking to get seat time anyway I can, and this is a pretty good setup you have there.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cct1
Thanks--I'd like to join you guys in April if schedule permits and space allows. I'll have to check into the insurance, but its no big deal to get track day insurance for a day if need be.

Do you guys break it up into groups by experience, or cars?

Again, thanks for all the info--I'm looking to get seat time anyway I can, and this is a pretty good setup you have there.
Glad to help.

We ask people to rate themselves, if they've been to Road America before, and the capability of their cars. It's a balance of all of the above which determines which group they'll be placed into. During the event, there are always a few people that are more comfortable with moving up or down a class or two, and they are typically accommodated.