Chicago MINI Driving Group Discussion forum for the Chicago MINI Driving Group.

Road America Event May 16th

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road America Event May 16th

For those of us that inched around Road America at MTTS 2008 and wished we could have been in 2nd or even 3rd gear Your wish is coming true in May.

One of our local MINI owners was telling me about the Lunch Time Track Touring events at RA he ran and after a little research here's the details.

It's going to happen at 4 different events this year and the Spring Vintage Weekend May 15-17 is the 1st and cheapest.

If you would like to drive up on Sat May 16th, enjoy watching the Vintage cars run and at lunch time drive your MINI or whatever you want around the track lead by a Pace car at speeds 40 to 65 MPH.

I'm told this is really fun and the best part is you don't need any special parts or equipment and you can have passengers too.

That's right, just a simple safety check of your MINI, put on your seat belt and go for an hour drive. No Helmets needed or track pads.

The price. You need an Event Ticket to do the Touring.
Event Ticket for Sat is only $20.00 each if you order online before 5/6/09
The Touring Ticket is only $45.00 per car if you order online before 5/6/09

That's $65.00 of all day Fun and an hour driving around Road America.

If this is something you would like to do, please post below. Each of us would need to get our own tickets ASAP and yes there is a limit on the number of cars on Track Tour so order ASAP.

FYI; All tickets include walk-in access to the paddock, free general parking, access to scheduled fan forums and autograph sessions, and spectator access to Briggs & Stratton Motorplex events

Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
(disregard; sent a PM instead)

Last edited by Gil-galad; 02-02-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Sorry -- meant to PM
Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
PiercedMini
3rd Gear
hey Dustin, This isn't as great as it sounds. You really don't get to do anything but avoid all the other yahoo's that think they can drive fast. They have the same thing at the AMA bike weekend and it is actually more fun to watch all the idiots wreck the cars/bikes than to actually participate in the 20 minutes of lap time. Just my two cents others may disagree but take it from someone that races vehicals on the weekends....

Old 03-23-2009, 11:41 AM
probler
Neutral
A different perspective

I too was able to come up with two cents. My wife and I have found it to be a very fun ride. We have done it three times in the last two seasons.
At the drivers meeting, they tell you the limit is 60 or 70, but even the pace trucks don't observe the limit. At the Sept historics I was cruising at 85 down to Canada corner and got passed by one of the trucks.
That was the only time the whole hour we encountered a pace truck.
They start you and everybody else out at turn one. Some cars follow the truck around, and THAT isn't much fun. But you let the hot shots go by and within half a lap, you have a fairly wide open track. We got in 8 laps, and we were able to max out the handling on any corner(turn 5 is the best.)
Coming off of turn 14 and dragging up the main straight we consistantly hit over 100 before cresting the hill.
You could go faster, but you do need to bear in mind that we are a bunch of amateurs, for the most part, and some people have their cars piled up with kids, and grandma, and are not out to challenge the Hurry downs.
It's also fun to watch a much faster, more expensive guy wizz by, and then reel him in at the next tight corner.
Other than that, walking around some very cool cars and talking with the owners is also a lot of fun. How many Cobras or avantis do you see anymore?
If you would like to see the cars that ran this last time, go to www.partypics.com, and type "elkhart" as the code.

Keith, 06 JCW BRG, C/F

Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Just got my tickets at https://www.roadamerica.com/ and saved money too. See Ya There?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
I know a few others have signed up for this event and people that I have talked to that have done it, LOVE IT!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
What a BLAST! Way too much fun, yes there were "slower" cars on the track, but thanks to Keith's leadership we were able to run as fast as we wanted most of the time. Like most events we make of it what we want and for those of us there Sat we made it a great time of safe higher speed fun.