All other MINI parts and items for Sale (archive) Archived - Everything for sale that is not a car or wheels and tires (but is MINI/Mini-related)

FS: Maxi View Blind Spot Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cannot believe how quickly the first set of these sold and now this pair is not even getting nibbles. I think I need to review these formally, but what it will say is that these are the absolute best blind spot mirrors I've ever used and the best the market has to offer today.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blackie
Cannot believe how quickly the first set of these sold and now this pair is not even getting nibbles. I think I need to review these formally, but what it will say is that these are the absolute best blind spot mirrors I've ever used and the best the market has to offer today.
Must I really do another review? You folks don't know what you're missing here!!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you work for this company or something?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 483FITTER
Do you work for this company or something?
I'd probably be violating some NAM marketplace rule or screwing my employer or both if I did work for them and was trying to sell these mirrors under the retail price, but thanks for asking. The fact is it is really hard to figure, as the first set sold shortly after they were posted here and for full price, while I have not even had an inquiry on this set. Add to that the fact that the Mini, especially the Cabrio, has pretty bad blind spots and the need for a really good set of mirrors is there (and these really are the best the after-market has to offer, as I tried or seen others in use).

Old 10-20-2007, 04:54 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Saturday bump!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u584318

Well, since you asked, these are the ones I've seen in the stores.

They swivel on their angled base to allow for adjustment from what I understand. I can't comment on their effectiveness because I went with the $1.49 fixed convex blind spot mirror and am content with those.

The ones being sold by Blackie look to be a better overall product and have certainly been valuable to many people.

PM me if you want me to remove this post so as not to interfere with your sale.

I've now seen these on a Mini and the coverage area is NOTHING like the Maxi View ones that are for sale here. Undoubtedly though they will be good enough (certainly better than none at all or even the fixed varieties) for anyone looking to economize.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried mounting the mirrors in other locations, i.e. inside or outside edges?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 PM
blackie
6th Gear
I've now seen these on a Mini and the coverage area is NOTHING like the Maxi View ones that are for sale here. Undoubtedly though they will be good enough (certainly better than none at all or even the fixed varieties) for anyone looking to economize.
I've actually now experienced these mirror shown above on another vehicle in our family, with a much smaller blind spot. You cannot argue with the price, which is typically not more than $2.99 per mirror, but the coverage area is NOTHING like you get with the Maxi View ones. So, if you have the Cabrio, or just want as much coverage as possible, these Maxi View blind spot mirrors CANNOT be beat.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 PM
blackie
6th Gear
I need to self-bump these mirrors just to keep up with today's activity . These already had fallen down to the middle of the second page . BTW, don't be afraid of these mirrors; they are great and I swear they are not made by, sold by, or lied about by Palo Uber !

Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Have you tried mounting the mirrors in other locations, i.e. inside or outside edges?
Which mirrors are you referring to here; the Maxi Views or the round adjustable spots that were pictured above?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:43 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MaxiViews

Old 11-23-2007, 08:46 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
The Maxi Views go on with double stick adhesive, as do most other blind spot mirrors (maybe all others), so when I decided where to mount them I did try positioning them in a few different places on the stock mirrors, using duct tape to hold them in place, so I could decide what worked best for me (based on my height and where I normally position my seat). I ultimately found the most versatility where I placed them (basically top center), but they have a lot of flexibility wherever you place them due to the swivel ball that they sit on and the fact that they are like a widescreen TV as opposed to other mirrors that are mostly round. I am sure someone else might like them better mounted elsewhere on their stock or other mirrors; it all comes down to personal choice. I hope I adequately answered your question.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:55 AM
blackie
6th Gear
OK, let's try a little Shakespeare and see how that plays in selling these great and obviously under-appreciated blind spot mirrors. In the famous words of Lady Macbeth, "Out, damn spot!"

Old 11-24-2007, 09:21 PM
blackie
6th Gear
No lovers of Shakespeare here? I'm in shock!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Come on Cabrio owners; you know you want to get rid of your blind spots . I can't believe how these terrific mirrors are languishing here.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So... these mount INSIDE the car on the pillar? It's hard to tell what they do from their site.

As there is an airbag in the pillar, does this pose a danger (assuming I'm understanding how these work)? Can you post some pics of them in your car?

Maybe we can work out a grille/mirror swap... God knows by cabrio has some HUGE blind spots.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:45 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
So... these mount INSIDE the car on the pillar? It's hard to tell what they do from their site.

As there is an airbag in the pillar, does this pose a danger (assuming I'm understanding how these work)? Can you post some pics of them in your car?

Maybe we can work out a grille/mirror swap... God knows by cabrio has some HUGE blind spots.

Thanks!
Hey Matt:

I'll send you a PM too, as I certainly would consider working out a swap with you (or at least some level of offset on the grille, which I still must measure today). I'll answer here though just in case this information is needed by someone else, as I see the original link has been changed, which may be causing problems for others besides you.

Sorry if this is now misleading. These mirrors mount with double stick tape (already adhered to the backs of the 2 blind spot mirrors - they come in pairs) and go onto the existing side mirrors of your Cabrio. Check post #4 (now #43) in this thread (as these are shown mounted on each of the side mirrors of my Mini). Apparently, the original link to the Maxi View website now points to a different page, but they are apparently going through some sort of website overhaul, so this is not too surprising.

I can also send you a close-up of just one side. I mounted these on the top center of each of my side mirrors, as from how I sit in my Mini this worked best, but you can mount them anywhere on the side mirrors (as with any typical spot mirror).

What makes these different from other spot mirrors are a couple of things. First, they do swivel, as they are mounted on a rotational ball that is within the mounting post. While a few spot mirrors swivel (even cheap ones that can be had for a couple of bucks), those typically rotate on just a flat plane circle (like a watch face design, even if these typically are built with a wide and narrow side in order to allow for differing view angles). Second, these are not mounted to be flush to the side mirrors, as the swivel ball is raised away from the mounting point by a short post, which allows for far greater angling alternatives and a much broader view of the road (and this is especially important should you ever need to change your seating position or a different driver happens to be behind the wheel of a different height, size, or seating preference). Third, rather than the more typical circular spot mirror variety, these are rectangular (made with a crowned center), so the angle of view dispersion and the coverage area is far greater than the typical spot mirror, even a rotating variety.

Frankly, I tried other spot mirrors, from the typical fixed spot varieties (both circular and others), to the rotating circular variety, to the complete overlay variety (it completely fits over the entire face of the side mirror) that I have seen hawked here and in other places (I forget the name now, but I could find it if need be) and nothing suited my eye as well, both in terms of coverage and unobtrusiveness to my line of sight (and I can still use the side mirrors easily for the larger image viewing of non-blind spot views). YMMV, but I liked these by far and away the best of anything I tried out to help with the Cabrio's significant blind spots. I adapted to being comfortable using these very quickly and even after dark I have zero blind spot issues any longer.

Last edited by blackie; 12-02-2007 at 08:08 AM. Reason: to add reference to photos posted in post #43 below
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 AM
blackie
6th Gear
I can also send you a close-up of just one side. I mounted these on the top center of each of my side mirrors, as from how I sit in my Mini this worked best, but you can mount them anywhere on the side mirrors (as with any typical spot mirror).
Here are the photos of these mirrors on my Mini, attached as thumbnails.

Attached Thumbnails FS:  Maxi View Blind Spot Mirrors-sv-mirror.jpg   FS:  Maxi View Blind Spot Mirrors-sv-mirrors.jpg  
Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Simply amazing.....

Old 12-29-2007, 04:15 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u584318

Well, since you asked, these are the ones I've seen in the stores.

They swivel on their angled base to allow for adjustment from what I understand. I can't comment on their effectiveness because I went with the $1.49 fixed convex blind spot mirror and am content with those.

The ones being sold by Blackie look to be a better overall product and have certainly been valuable to many people.

PM me if you want me to remove this post so as not to interfere with your sale.
I've now seen these in use; driven another vehicle with them and there is NO comparison. They are certainly better than nothing at all, but the coverage you get from the MaxiView is unparalleled!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
I have these - they take a short period of adjustment since you're not used to such a wide angle view, but I really like 'em now. I travel frequently and really miss these when I've got a rental car. BUMP for you!

As Dixon said, there is NOTHING else like these babies!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Amazing that my first extra set of these mirrors were sold within moments of posting FS and that this second set has been here so long. Price asked for this new/unused set is terrific, but I'll consider a best offer, just to kill this thread. Hit me with your best shot!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 PM
blackie
6th Gear
bumpity bump, bump, bump!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:14 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
bumpity bump, bump, bump!
Yep, you indeed bumped it 4 times today. And mine makes it 5!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:13 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Well, I am also selling about 3 or 4 other items in another thread I started today and offered to package these, so I needed a little extra HP. Thanks for the extra.

Quick Reply: FS: Maxi View Blind Spot Mirrors