Winter Tires Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
RocMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter Tires Questions

Hello everyone! I am a new MC owner and I'm loving it.
I just purchased a used 05' Mini non S and it's been super fun.
Now, my Mini is my only vehicle and therefore I have to drive it during the winter. My question is, for those of you who also drive your Minis during the winter, is do you use studded snow tires or non-studded tires like the Blizzak styles?

I haven't used studded tires in a very long time since my last vehicle was a full-size GMC truck. I have owned a front-wheel drive Honda Civic HB (automatic transmission) way back in the 90's and I chose not to use studded tires. My concern is that my Mini seems to be lower to the ground than my old Civic so I'm afraid of plowing slow when driving in the neighborhoods of Anch.

So if any of you can give me some suggestions, winter driving stories, or maybe which brand of tires I should use, please feel free to help me out. My father owns an Auto Repair shop here in Anchorage and also sells tires there. I can buy tires at warehouse costs and the brands available to me are: BF Goodrich, Michelin, Cooper, Hankook, etc. Pretty much any tire brand that American Tire Warehouse and TCI Warehouse sells.

Thanks all!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Getagrip
Neutral
Can't go wrong with Hankook W409 studded tires for the value and performance. They are available in both the 16" and 17" MC sizes.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
Can you drive studded tires on pavement that isn't packed with snow/ice? Is there any risk of damage to your car?

Asking only because I may be moving up there in February!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Getagrip
Neutral
Yes.
No.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 AM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
I drive my MINI year round and haven't had any problems with my studless tires. I've been using the Michelin X-Ice2 for the last 2 winters and have never had any issues. They perform great on ice, packed snow, and powder.

I know the bilizzaks have been an Alaskan favorite for some time. That was my tire of choice until I saw the price tag and I read the reviews of the Michelins, which actually beat blizzaks 2 years ago... They were much more moderately priced and available at Costco. But it sounds like price isn't a problem for you!

The only reason anyone should be running studs in the winter is if they live in the up on the hillside. I live in a pretty residential area in Eagle River (no steep or crooked driveway...) and do not need studs. Alaskans rely too much on studs...it annoys me to no end. It's no wonder our roads are crap! All you really need is a great set of dedicated winter tires and adjust your driving accordingly.

Sometimes my MINI will act like a snow plow! If there's lots of fresh snow, and they haven't plowed the roads yet, she'll just go right through it! Pushing the snow up over the hood! But I'll only do that if it's a light snow... If it's really wet, I wouldn't risk damaging the front bumper.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I am using the General Altimax Arctic, i do not have studs in them and have had No isses at all the past 3 winters. my house is almost a 1000 feet above sea level, with a very steep driveway. I have yet to be stuck with the Mini.
Ps Mrs Darcy, eagle river is a beautiful place I was up there in the mid 90s for some time i loved it!!!