Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City The forum for the Alabama Motoring Society.
Visit the BAMA club site at www.bamamini.com
Visit the Rocket City MINI club site at www.rocketcitymini.com

Birmingham Mini Meets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmittyRN
The 24th works for me too. I'm good for either 12 or 6; my only thought was if we met at 12, we could do a short run after lunch.
We can do a run either way if people are interested. Park, schmooze around the cars for a few minutes, eat pizza and start the ride.

A fun loop I do a lot with MCA and my motorcycle is: leave the shroom and take 280 to the summit, go through the summit and go down Cahaba Heights, take sicard hollow to grants mill, grants mill to hwy 119, turn left on 119 and then right on Elliot Ln, then take hwy 25 to Chelsea and then back down 280 towards Birmingham.

I actually do the loop the other way around but you get the picture. Sicard Hollow and Hwy 25 is twistie heaven. Of course Hwy 25 is home to the infamous 29 Dreams (now called Firenze) biker bar so there is usually a decent biker presence tearing up the twisties.

The run will probably take 30 to 45 minutes total and we can make it shorter if needed. I'm super familiar with the area so I can improvise if needed.

One other thing. A lot of mini groups in other areas have invested in walkie talkies for quick and easy communication for fuel ups, pit stops, keeping the group together etc. If our group takes off well it may be worth you guys looking into. I'll bring mine on the 24th if you want to check them out. I paid about $50 for 2 Motorolas, that reach about a mile, and a charger.

Sorry for the wall of text. As you can tell, I'm getting pumped about finally having some enthusiasts close to home!

Old 07-14-2013, 04:42 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been wanting to hit up Hwy 25 for a while, that sounds good to me. I think I've got a couple of those radios laying around, I'll have to dig them up. Let's see when everyone can meet, if we have to we can meet, ride, then eat pizza. I'm easy.

Another place to keep in mind for a future meet is the Tip Top Grill on Shades Crest. Haven't been yet, but it seems like a great place to have a meet sometime.

http://westbham.myfoxal.com/news/bus...rves-food-view

Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
I've never even heard of that. Sounds pretty sweet! Only breakfast and lunch so maybe a morning run one day.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
I took the liberty of starting up a Facebook group. Let's get it populated, and I am way open to any suggestions on how to manage the page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/magiccityminis/

Last edited by SmittyRN; 07-15-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
I took the liberty of starting up a Facebook page. Let's get it populated, and I am way open to any suggestions on how to manage the page.

https://www.facebook.com/MagicCityMinis
I hate to be that guy, but I'm not on Facebook! I had to cancel mine after my wife's ex husband was getting a little too clever and sneaky. I don't miss it one bit either! Anyways, if you keep the profile public I'll try to keep an eye on it.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Hell, I wish I wasn't, but it is a good way for me to keep up with friends I'm not around anymore. I did travel nursing for 7 years, so I've got friends spread out. I had to block my ex-wife a couple of years ago, so I know how you feel. I'm going to start a new thread for the meet in August, and try to spread the word.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
Wow! Go on vacation and everything gets nuts. The run after sounds good. I've got a couple of the walkie talkies too. The "loop" sounds a lot like what I do to go home from that part of Birmingham anyways. I'll keep checking in you guys keep it going. Oh and Smitty, I'll check out the Facebook page.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Scooter-09'MCS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earlier the better!

If you do the meet/Run at Noon or 3PM on the 24th...you're more likely to grab at least five of us from the River-Region (Montgomery).

Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
You know if there is a MINI meet/ride this close to me I'm going to have to attend!!! As long as you are allowing us northern MINIs play!

I attended a few of the very last Bham group get togethers before it fizzled. Was sad for it to be the last MINI group in the state to fade away until we got Rocket City back up and running. So glad to have another group in the state to motor with!

Love the name Magic City MINIs, sounds like a winner! Can't wait to see the logo you all come up with.

Mellow Mushroom sounds like a great place for an inaugural meeting Josh!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ke4sfq
You know if there is a MINI meet/ride this close to me I'm going to have to attend!!! As long as you are allowing us northern MINIs play!

I attended a few of the very last Bham group get togethers before it fizzled. Was sad for it to be the last MINI group in the state to fade away until we got Rocket City back up and running. So glad to have another group in the state to motor with!

Love the name Magic City MINIs, sounds like a winner! Can't wait to see the logo you all come up with.

Mellow Mushroom sounds like a great place for an inaugural meeting Josh!
Of course you guys are welcome to come to everything Kevin! Come on down on the 24th if you're free. We could use some Rocket City insight. The more the merrier. Besides, nothing advertises better than a long line of Minis tearing up some Birmingham asphalt. Expect some fun runs and events in the coming months.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Scooter-09'MCS
If you do the meet/Run at Noon or 3PM on the 24th...you're more likely to grab at least five of us from the River-Region (Montgomery).
Sounds enticing. I up for it if the others are cool with it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Starting to sound like a noon meet up

I'm trying to figure out if anyone can help us get the word out on al.com. I searched and found that Chris Tudor had written a couple of articles about the old Mini meets, and that's what I'd love to see written about us restarting a club. He hasn't written in the "Engine Block" section in a few years; from the looks of it, no one is, about anything. Jody Potter was the last writer to post there, but that was over 2 years ago. If anyone knows how to get the word out, let me know or just do it yourself.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Indurdenwetrust
Of course you guys are welcome to come to everything Kevin! Come on down on the 24th if you're free. We could use some Rocket City insight. The more the merrier. Besides, nothing advertises better than a long line of Minis tearing up some Birmingham asphalt. Expect some fun runs and events in the coming months.
Ok, I'll put the word out on our RCM site too. The more MINIs you have, definitely you get more people stopping. I think we have accumulated more members from people stopping by and seeing the crowd of MINIs than any other way. Not sure how many others will come but a few of our members were involved with the old Bham group and live fairly close so you may get a few.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
I wanted to check in. I've talked to many MINI drivers that are definitely interested. Young and old, male and female! Anybody else talk to anyone about the meet?

Reebus, any progress with the logo?

Unfortunately MCA has been in and out of the shop several times over the past few weeks. Coolant leak, bad alternator, and now he's in my garage with a bad "chain guide". I'm getting it towed to MOB tomorrow and hopefully I will have a drivable MINI in the day of the meet!

Have a great Sunday afternoon guys!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Droog
1st Gear
Car has been at the shop for a week with a coolant leak. I'm afraid it is going to be really expensive to fix it! Have you joined the Magic City MINIs Facebook page?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
I wanted to check in. I've talked to many MINI drivers that are definitely interested. Young and old, male and female! Anybody else talk to anyone about the meet?

Reebus, any progress with the logo?

Unfortunately MCA has been in and out of the shop several times over the past few weeks. Coolant leak, bad alternator, and now he's in my garage with a bad "chain guide". I'm getting it towed to MOB tomorrow and hopefully I will have a drivable MINI in the day of the meet!

Have a great Sunday afternoon guys!
I know you don't do Facebook but I think you should be able to go there and see what we have been up to.... we have some logos, and are working on some more artwork.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/magiccityminis/
Hope you get the Mini up and running, I'm getting all of my stuff done (I hope!).

Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
Sorry I'm on vacation and have been only on Facebook lately. We are working on several items ad I'll try to post them when I can. Its great to see so much interest. Can't wait to see everyone! Here's a preview of my first attempt at a sticker.

I've had a few of these printed up.

Attached Thumbnails Birmingham Mini Meets?-image.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
And now that I'm home from work, I can post some stuff I've done. My stuff is still a work in progress, but you can get an idea.

Name:  MCM_skyline2_zps6d72603d.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  16.2 KB

Did a cutout of Vulcan in B/W to work with... feel free to copy it and play with it.

Name:  VulcanModBW_zps6dc084f0.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  26.4 KB

Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
And now that I'm home from work, I can post some stuff I've done. My stuff is still a work in progress, but you can get an idea.

Did a cutout of Vulcan in B/W to work with... feel free to copy it and play with it.
Great images! #2 looks awesome. I wonder how "Magic City Minis" would look on the Alabama Theater sign instead of "Alabama"? It may be too many characters and will make it too small.

I'm making some business cards to put on windshields to get the word out and may use your idea if it's cool with you?

I still need to put a flyer up at MOB. The service guys said they would try and spread the word to customers when appropriate. I see those guys about 3 times a week lately so I don't think they're pulling my leg

Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Great images! #2 looks awesome. I wonder how "Magic City Minis" would look on the Alabama Theater sign instead of "Alabama"? It may be too many characters and will make it too small.

I'm making some business cards to put on windshields to get the word out and may use your idea if it's cool with you?

I still need to put a flyer up at MOB. The service guys said they would try and spread the word to customers when appropriate. I see those guys about 3 times a week lately so I don't think they're pulling my leg
I like the idea of "MCM" in the Alabama Theater sign, but I agree it's probably too small. I wonder how "Magic City" in an arc over the City Federal building and "MINIS" in the bottom black area would work?

And here are a couple of other versions I'm tossing around.

Name:  MCM_skyline4copy_zps7adfb92f.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  MCM_skyline5copy_zps748d85e9.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  18.3 KB

Name:  MCM_skyline4copy_zpsaa09794f.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  20.1 KB

Last edited by SmittyRN; 08-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
I really like your Vulcan! Would it be OK if I sent the "Sticker lady" that artwork along with the format of your sticker? I like the black and white with the silver looking wings.....

Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Like I said, use anything you want, but if you wait a day or two I'm going to touch up Vulcan a little bit. I want to get the left edge of his face a little more defined and brighter. I'll work on it tonight after I get off of work, since I'll be off the next couple of days.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Here's an updated black and white Vulcan; beefed up the outline some, and put it on a clear background so you can drop it on any picture or background you want. If it doesn't load with a clear background, email me at smittyrn@gmail.com and I'll send you the file. Have fun with it.

Attached Thumbnails Birmingham Mini Meets?-vulcan-bw-clear-background.jpg