Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City The forum for the Alabama Motoring Society.
Visit the BAMA club site at www.bamamini.com
Visit the Rocket City MINI club site at www.rocketcitymini.com

Birmingham Mini Meets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am DEFINITELY interested in reviving the Birmingham group. I think the idea of a drive to "link up" with the Rocket City people is a great idea. I'll be out of pocket starting this weekend till about August 16th but I will check in on NAM. If anyone wants me to help with planning or logistics, PM me.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think hitting up the Rocket City guys for a group meet would be a good way to get the B'ham chapter restarted; the more Mini's we can show getting together, the more it looks like it's worth doing to people. A picture of 3 Mini's at a Waffle House? Eh. Pictures of 15-20 Mini's taking over a country BBQ joint? Now yer talking.

Who might be interested in starting up a new Facebook page for Mini's in this area? And what are we gonna call it? Iron City Mini's? Central Alabama Motoring?

Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Sounds good to me. What do you think about keeping the name "Alabama Motoring Society"? If someone from the disbanded group doesn't like it I'm sure they'll chime in. Reason I say keep it is that I still have one of the old stickers that they would hand out and it's pretty cool. Plus if we don't limit it to Birmingham something maybe we can interest a few others. I know of a place that can make the window stickers and will check into that using the sticker I have if you want me to. These, and getting some cards printed to put on MINIs that you see out in public would be great ways to get the word out.

I'm all for the Facebook page. If you build it I will come.....

As f

Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Sounds good to me, can't see where anyone would have a problem. If they do, then we will worry about changing it.

Put a picture up of that old sticker, I wanna see. I can work on that Facebook page, it will look better once we get some pics of the local Mini's. Maybe Droog wants to work on that, she was the one who first started getting everyone together.

Ugh, this is all I need, another car to mod! I'm pretty active with the Dodge Charger community, and now that I've got it how I want it I'm sure I'll be shifting focus and funds over to my Mini. Oh well, let's have fun.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
RussellW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmittyRN
I think hitting up the Rocket City guys for a group meet would be a good way to get the B'ham chapter restarted; the more Mini's we can show getting together, the more it looks like it's worth doing to people. A picture of 3 Mini's at a Waffle House? Eh. Pictures of 15-20 Mini's taking over a country BBQ joint? Now yer talking.

Who might be interested in starting up a new Facebook page for Mini's in this area? And what are we gonna call it? Iron City Mini's? Central Alabama Motoring?
Montgomery MINIacs have a FB page that has attracted lots of new folks.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] River Region MINIs for middle-Alabama and [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]our neighbors in Columbus GA area have[/SIZE][/FONT] Fountain City MINIs. Were you thinking of a state-wide group or mainly for Birmingham? I think the Original name was "Birmingham Area MINI Association" - BAMA

Good luck,

Russell
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RussellW
Were you thinking of a state-wide group or mainly for Birmingham? I think the Original name was "Birmingham Area MINI Association" - BAMA

Good luck,

Russell
As much as I like the idea of a good statewide group, that makes it hard to get together; you end up with meets in places that just are too far to get to for a lot of people. Like having a meet in Mongomery, but most of the Huntsville members probably woudn't want to drive that far. Having a B'ham Metro area group makes more sense. I think it would also be cool to hook up with other groups for joint meets in the middle sometimes.

I'm willing to put in the work if I'm not the only one, and it looks like we have some others here that are willing to contribute. Now we just need to get the word out.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
RussellW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As much as I like the idea of a good statewide group, that makes it hard to get together; you end up with meets in places that just are too far to get to for a lot of people. Like having a meet in Mongomery, but most of the Huntsville members probably woudn't want to drive that far. Having a B'ham Metro area group makes more sense. I think it would also be cool to hook up with other groups for joint meets in the middle sometimes.

I'm willing to put in the work if I'm not the only one, and it looks like we have some others here that are willing to contribute. Now we just need to get the word out.
I think "Sunshine MINIs" is the parent group for all of the various local MINI groups in Florida. We already have the Rocket City MINIs in Huntsville; Gadsden Area MINI Enthusiasts "GAME" in Gadsden; ours here in the River Region, and now the resurrected B'ham group and perhaps others.

If you build it, they will come.

Russell

Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Birmingham Area Minis? BAM!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
O.K. Here is a picture of the sticker. Let me know what ya'll think. PLEASE don't make me put something that says "BAMA" (Auburn man). "BAM", or something else is good though.

Attached Thumbnails Birmingham Mini Meets?-image.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Reebus
O.K. Here is a picture of the sticker. Let me know what ya'll think. PLEASE don't make me put something that says "BAMA" (Auburn man). "BAM", or something else is good though.
That looks good Reebus!

I was thinking if you're going to go with something with Birmingham in it you could always include good ol Vulcan.

Vulcan Minis. Vulcan Magic Minis. Magic City Minis.

I may be a little late to add suggestions but there you go.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
I really like the Magic City idea. Maybe we could use Vulcan in the artwork? I'm going to try to contact the person I've heard about concerning having the stickers made and see what's involved. Let you all know something when I can.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
+1 on the Magic City Mini's, it's got a nice ring to it. Maybe a drawing of the Vulcan like below, with a Mini in front of it.

Though I can also picture a view of Vulcan's ***, lol.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Droog
1st Gear
I've been super busy at work so I'm just now checking out the posts. Y'all have gone wild on me! Sounds like some great ideas being tossed around! I would definitely like to have a local group to motor with. Keep up the great ideas. I'm reading!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Droog
1st Gear
Oh yeah, I'm with the Auburn guy. My daughter starts her freshman year at Auburn next month so we are definitely Auburn folks, here! :-)

Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Weagle Weagle!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
I've sent an E-Mail to Stuck On Minis. They made some pretty nice Stickers for the HelenBlitz group this spring. They are closed this week (on vacation) but she did respond to my E-Mail and said she'd be contacting me next week concerning what's involved and how much. I hope y'all don't mind, but I kinda "ran" with the "Magic City Minis" idea with Vulcan in the middle of the MINI wings. Kind of like the one I showed in a previous post with the center changed as described above.

I don't know if there would be copyright issues with using the Vulcan picture SmittyRN attached, but I sent that along as the example of the old guy. I really kinda like it anyways. If anyone has a different version that they'd like considered just let me know.

If she can create some artwork using these ideas is everyone O.K. with this? I'm hoping that we could retain ownership of the artwork to use on other things (magnetic Grill Badges, MINI calling cards, etc).

If this seems to be a "go" with everyone and she can do things as discussed, I will go ahead and take responsibility for the order. We'll figure out the logistics later.

I'll be out of town myself starting tomorrow through next weekend. If I can get cell coverage, I'll check in to see what's happening and give updates if I hear about the decals.

Later,
Mike

Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
You didn't like my idea of having a picture of Vulcans big metal ***?

Seriously, I think everyone likes Magic City Mini's, and way to go jumping on this. There used to be a guy on here that did a ton of artwork, COOPERation, but it looks like he must be gone to greener pastures. I'd suggest once your contact comes up with some artwork that you post a picture of it here, I'd love to see it.

It's good to see this come together. Way to go.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Magic City Minis has the best ring to it out of the suggestions so far. The Vulcan's *** stuff reminds me of Beener and Ken radio show on the X from the 90s! Good times. I don't know what it takes to have custom grill badges made (or how much $) but I do know the guys over at GoBadges are fantastic. The few cosmetic changes I have made to my car have mostly come from them. Although I will say I probably won't put anything too silly on my car. My wife might put one on her Countryman though . I will be more than happy to hand out business cards for the group around my area. I do drive down Grants Mill every single day and I stop by MOB to drool and schmooze every few weeks so I see plenty of Minis I can put cards on. Not to mention hwy280 has become quite the Mini place too! Where were you guys when I was trying to do this stuff a year and a half ago???

Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
It's a great start. Why don't we try to meet sometime mid/late August to be official. I'm out of town the first two weeks. Maybe by then ill have more info concerning my " project".

Oh and Durden, I'm definitely thinking abou the Go Badges angle too!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Indurdenwetrust
Magic City Minis has the best ring to it out of the suggestions so far. The Vulcan's *** stuff reminds me of Beener and Ken radio show on the X from the 90s! Good times.
I miss the X days... I hung out with Beaner and Ken, Hurricaine Shane, Suzy Bo... Ken and I were good friends, used to ride motorcycles all of the time, and he got me into all of the X Lounge shows and concerts. Good times indeed.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear

I miss the X days... I hung out with Beaner and Ken, Hurricaine Shane, Suzy Bo... Ken and I were good friends, used to ride motorcycles all of the time, and he got me into all of the X Lounge shows and concerts. Good times indeed.
I do too man! I never met any of those guys but they were great. Hurricane Shane had the coolest voice! I consider the 90s "Rock Music's Last Stand". I'm not saying there isn't anymore good music (almost sounded like my dad there!) but I think there is too much genre blending going on lately. I don't mind it when it works and it's refreshing, like Sublime (punk/hiphop/reggae) or Nine Inch Nails (rock/industrial/electronic). Some stuff I hear on the radio now just sounds like they are trying too hard to be different rather than to just be good at music in the first place.

Sorry for the rant. I miss my youth obviously.

Only radio stations I listen to now is Power 102.1 and maybe some talk radio. Other than that, CDs and my crappy AUX port in my Mini that makes a constant whining noise.

Ok really, I'll stop complaining now!

Old 07-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Reebus
It's a great start. Why don't we try to meet sometime mid/late August to be official. I'm out of town the first two weeks. Maybe by then ill have more info concerning my " project".

Oh and Durden, I'm definitely thinking abou the Go Badges angle too!
I'm out of town the weekend of August 17th. How does a meet on August 24th sound to everyone? I'm thinking lunch or dinner at Mellow Mushroom at Five Points Birmingham. I figure we can't go wrong with pizza, it's at the heart of the city, and we can all park for free on the Cobb Lane lot 2 blocks up from the restaurant.

What to bring: ideas, artwork, routes you have thought up for runs, friends and family, and of course your Mini.

I know it's hard to do things like this with families so let's put a vote on it. Post whether lunch or dinner works best for you.

Magic City Minis Meet:

August 24th at 12:00pm or 6:00pm (pending)

Mellow Mushroom Birmingham
1200 20th Street South Suite 100
Birmingham, Alabama 35205

Everyone welcome and be prepared to share opinions on future activities and logo designs.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
By the way, I vote for dinner at 6.

Lunch - 0
Dinner - 1

Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
I vote for six too.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 AM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
The 24th works for me too. I'm good for either 12 or 6; my only thought was if we met at 12, we could do a short run after lunch.

Quick Reply: Birmingham Mini Meets?