How was the Brew Swap???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The image quoted below is exactly what the Brew Swap was intended for. Don't get me wrong, many ways to enjoy the swap. But that was the reason I did it....to take home a large selection of beers of sample and enjoy.

Originally Posted by davavd
I think you could say I had a good time.......

This years on the table - best (labels) of last year on the wall.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 PM
fastautoxmini
3rd Gear
This was my first brew swap.

Wasn't sure if people were/were not bringing cold beer. So brought a cooler and had a six pack warm. They passed out ice and plastic tubs when I got there, so I thought cold beer was ok.... Next year I'll be more of a veteran and not have cold beer.

I had no idea about the sampling aspect of the event either. I didn't mean to bring the event down but any one who asked for a sample got one! Others were not leaving samples out so that's why I did not do so.

What cold beer I did trade for I just drank there! The pint glass came in handy. Nice glass too!

Great event. Thanks for all of the hard work. It was a fun time.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Worked that way for me I brought a case of dry and 7-8 colds, after about 30 min I had to go back to my cabin for more. I was disappointed that there was only 2 of us at the Florida table but oh well I did great. My only regret was sticking around to see the girl in the wedding dress play pit bull

Originally Posted by BrewSwapGuy
The image quoted below is exactly what the Brew Swap was intended for. Don't get me wrong, many ways to enjoy the swap. But that was the reason I did it....to take home a large selection of beers of sample and enjoy.

Last edited by jibeho; 05-06-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Originally Posted by davavd
I think you could say I had a good time.......

This years on the table - best (labels) of last year on the wall.
Hey, I see one of my Oak Barrel Stouts!

Matt, we missed you this year, man.

It was good this year, I liked the new layouts of the tables. But the Beerlympics was like trying to herd cats. I think Agranger and I had the fastest tempo round of Beer Pong ever with Tüls and CustomAV ever! (Sadly we lost, buut hey, it was my first time playing) That and the chugging beer was damn cold!

Last edited by ashboomstick; 05-06-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
MiniBEE4Me
2nd Gear
We had a great time! We were newbies to the event and didn't know about the non-chilling aspect. We're looking forward to next year and will bring MUCH more beer to trade! Thanks to all who made the event happen!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
arch-r
1st Gear
Last year I brought a case of Purple Haze beer from Abita Springs Brewery, La. I had to. I was driving a MC 2005 Purple Haze, i.e. my screen name pplhz05.
This year I was fortunate to locate a MCS 2005 Jet Black. "What to bring?"
Got it! I found a brewery from Australia...Coopers Brewery, or as I liked to call it Cooper S Brewery. Don't know if the beer was good or bad. It went like crazy. I didn't even have to be present to trade. People were happy to show them off and trade them for me (While Susan, Holly, Jeff and I were watching the door).

We had a blast seeing many familiar faces, and meeting new folks. I didn't stay for the Brewlympics. Oddly enough I really don't drink. Figure that one out!

Can't wait for next year! I will help out any way I can. Just let me know.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 PM
zinvestor
4th Gear
Last year taught me not to bring 22 oz bottles or Lambic beers, its tough to swap 2/1 or 4/1 although one of my Lambics went to Mosquito for one of his nifty titanium openers. This year I brought 4 different 2 Brothers brews from Chicago (French country ale, 'The Bitter End' IPA, a weiss beer and a Dortmunder style lager) all were swapped in about an hour (the 'The Bitter End' was gone in about 20 minutes).

I really liked the table setup this year compared to last year, it made it easier to go around sampling and swapping. I left during the Boat Races (2nd event) of the Beerlympics, there was too much confusion, jostling and obnoxious behavior for me.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zinvestor
Last year taught me not to bring 22 oz bottles
I had no problems this year trading 22oz bottles. I got 2 for every one. The few I got doubles for, I just traded one of those away for something else.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Can someone explain the table set up this year for me or show me pictures so I know how to duplicate it next year? I've heard multiple kudos to the table set us this year.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:42 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
I've got a couple but they'll have to wait to get home to post em.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
Beer Pong...A visual Journey...

The Field of Battle....

First, the rules...

Which were strictly enforced...

Strategy Session...very serious...

Strategy Perfectly Executed...

Many Good Teams Fell Short That Night...

But Some Would Not be Shaken...

Tension Fills the Air....

The pressure is too much for some...

It's Over......The Strong have Prevailed..

Last edited by catseye; 05-07-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vargasgal
Once things started winding down, Michael and I talked about the event in comparison to previous years. We discussed the cold beer thing and also both noted that it seemed there weren't as many samples being offered up this year. I don't know if there were just a bunch more first timers this year, but the sampling is one of the best parts of the event. I am not too keen on trading beer when I don't know if I like what I am getting.

Also, I need to bring more beer next year. I think my 12 Copper Flasks were gone in under 30 minutes!
I had plenty of cups and cold beer for sampling. Most people declined and just took a bottle. I had to sample it all myself!!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
I am glad to hear that you had a great time although it is hard for me to imagine the Brew Swap without the BrewSwap Guy there. Maybe next year I'll be back coming from the North Carolina side versus the Tennessee side and I should have some cool beverages to bring. We just recently finished the last of our swapped goods from 07.

Come to think of it I actually still have quite a few of those 2007 MINIS on the Dragon titanium beer bottle openers left. If anyone is interested I'll ship one for $10 and 2 for $16.

Herbert

Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Who brought the Copper Flask, and where can I get more of it?

I'm 20% through my swapped beer already, and so far, that one is OUTSTANDING.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
If I'm not mistaken that would be Vargasgal.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 PM
mistro
6th Gear
I owe you guys:
1. A complete accounting
2. Some glasses
3. The table set up and some other ideas for next year...

May is tough, 3rd week traveling. Can't wait for June, less to do... More to follow. Rgds, Michael (Matt's stand in)

Old 05-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Originally Posted by Squirlz
I had plenty of cups and cold beer for sampling. Most people declined and just took a bottle. I had to sample it all myself!!
Same here. I opened one bottle of each of the 2 varieties I had - and still had about 1/2 of each left by the end of the swapping. Plus, I had another bottle of each already chilled.

As a matter of fact, regarding cups, I bought 1,200 3 ounce Dixie cups three years ago based on the verbal interest of my fellow club members - they claimed they would buy some of them from me for their own sampling. Well, I still have around 800 of these darn cups left and I've probably used less than 100 myself.

I've been hauling them with me to MOTD for 3 years now (and safely storing them the rest of the time). Everyone seems to think that I'm kidding when I ask them for $1 for 100 cups. (I don't recall ever collecting any money.) At this point, adding hauling and storage, they've cost me a bit more than that!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:30 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
I'm kidding when I ask them for $1 for 100 cups. (I don't recall ever collecting any money.) At this point, adding hauling and storage, they've cost me a bit more than that!
All you have to do is remind me when next we meet!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
Who brought the Copper Flask, and where can I get more of it?

I'm 20% through my swapped beer already, and so far, that one is OUTSTANDING.

Indeed! I had one the other night.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Glad you liked it. I was equally impressed with it when I tried it. I look forward to seeing what else they brew in the future.

I got the Copper Flask at Kroger here in Memphis. I know it is carried at Ike's and Schnucks as well. Apparently plans are in the works to sell it in at least seven other states for now.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-copper-flask/

There is a contact email address on their website. You can probably get more info from them directly. Also, it is distributed by Southwestern Distributing Co in Memphis.

http://www.nakedlionbrewing.com/201.html

Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to their site on Monday, and sent an email.

yesterday, my phone rings, and it is a guy from a distribution company calling to let me know that I can pick up Copper Flask at the Woodman's about 5 miles from my place.

it was a very unexpected, but delightful, phone call!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
casanewt
Coordinator :: Cincinnati MINI Club
So, what did you folks think of the two Christian Moerlien brews that I brought (OTR Pale Ale & Emancipator Dopplebock)? The two that stood out for me was the Burton Oak aged Imperial IPA from Dogfish & the Apple Lambic.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by casanewt
So, what did you folks think of the two Christian Moerlien brews that I brought (OTR Pale Ale & Emancipator Dopplebock)? The two that stood out for me was the Burton Oak aged Imperial IPA from Dogfish & the Apple Lambic.
I'm enjoying the OTR ale with a late dinnner right now as I surf NAM! Very hoppy, as advertised. Not something I'd want all the time, but different than some of the other ales I've tried with a lot of hops. Good accompaniment to some spicy Mexican.

I think what I like most about trying the different beers from the Brew Swap, is that with so many different things to try (I've had about 8-10 of the 24 I swapped so far), my tastes are becoming even more discriminating. I used to like microbrews simply because they had flavor vs. the mass market "colored water sold as beer" stuff, but now I'll be even more of a "beer snob" than I was before!

I too really enjoyed the Copper Flask, as well the Apricot Weizen from Pyramid (Pyramid Hefeweizen remains my all time favorite beer), which was excellent- just a hint of apricot, not overpowering. I traded for a lot of stouts, all good, I was a little disappointed in the Yuengling B&T- might sound strange, but seemed overcarbonated to me. It really was the only one I've had so far that I didn't care for.

This thread could go on for a while- until the beer is gone. Which for me at my current rate will be several more weeks.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
I went to their site on Monday, and sent an email.

yesterday, my phone rings, and it is a guy from a distribution company calling to let me know that I can pick up Copper Flask at the Woodman's about 5 miles from my place.

it was a very unexpected, but delightful, phone call!
That's pretty incredible customer service.

Wolf, glad to hear you're becoming more of a beer snob. It's actually quite fun.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
rlnewby
2nd Gear
Here is the layout from what I remember. Entrance on the lower right with welcome tables.

Quick Reply: How was the Brew Swap???