Snubbed by MC2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by COOP310
Maybe the people from MC2 just couldn't get a room.
Actually, that's not far from being wrong. I lucked into a room when someone else dropped out.

Mark

Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Originally Posted by pplhz05
Really? Go to the Calendar located here. See anything?
I've been trying to get a heads up on the actual "nights" I need to pay for my room. Any activities scheduled for Sunday. Should I plan to leave then, or Monday instead?
The dates are listed here in the name of the forum. April 30-May 4, 2008. The actual day-to-day plan for the event has not been posted because its still in development. In general though the Welcome Dinner will be the first event and will occur the evening of April 30. The Farewell Dinner is the last event and is held on the night of May 3rd. In past years there has been the Midnight on the Dragon drive though I haven't heard it confirmed yet for this year (its still early though in the planning). Sunday May 4, people usually start the long drive home although some people do stick around to socialize.

When the event gets shaken out I'll have a much more detailed scheduled here. I expect this will be in February with registration opening late February.

Hope that helps

Mark

Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Mark
Originally Posted by MarkS
Since my name came up here... .

Mark, I sent you a PM in April just to say hi, saying I was attending, and to ask if I needed anything special to get access to events I didn't have tickets for. I'm not sure if I would call hearing directly from the person involved "through the grapevine", but in any case you responded, saying "We weren't contacted by Barry/Gary to arrange anything and had assumed that he didn't have an interest in covering the event in any way. If we had heard something we could probably provide better access to our VIP guests and access to the various events during the weekend." Fair enough if you didn't get enough advance notice or didn't get it from the right people. At the time I was a bit surprised at your surprise since MC2 had covered the event the two previous years so my assumption, perhaps incorrect, was that you'd expect coverage for 2007. And, to be frank, I expected less formality for obtaining access but that was my mistake.

In any case, we covered the event without trouble and lack of access to the ticketed events wasn't much of a problem, not that I made any real effort to get into them. IMO, it's the informal gatherings and of course the road itself that are more representative of the spirit of the event. As is often the case, the stuff on the edges tends to be more interesting.

I want to make it clear that my not meeting with you wasn't a personal snub. You had asked that I say hi when I get there and, as it turned out, I didn't get in until after midnight. I asked around the next few days but never did get hooked up with you. Not unexpected since we were both quite busy but I am sorry I didn't get to meet you and I hope we can do that soon. I did get to meet MINIClo and she was very kind and helpful.

I tend to be apolitical and drama-averse so, while I felt some awkwardness about what seemed to be some bad feelings on both sides, I did have a very good time and Molly and I got what we needed. I hope people were happy with the photos and article. My apologies if you feel you weren't notified in a sufficiently formal manner far enough in advance and again, sorry for not getting together with you while I was there but be assured neither was any kind of deliberate snub.

Mark
Mark - not a big deal. I had hoped to get to meet you and see if there was anything special introductions I could make for you. Regardless I'm glad that you were able to attend and if you cover it this year be sure to touch bases just before the event and I'll fill you in on anything special we're doing or anyone special that will be attending that you should speak to (if you are covering the event this year).

Thanks!

Mark

Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
Mark - not a big deal. I had hoped to get to meet you and see if there was anything special introductions I could make for you. Regardless I'm glad that you were able to attend and if you cover it this year be sure to touch bases just before the event and I'll fill you in on anything special we're doing or anyone special that will be attending that you should speak to (if you are covering the event this year).

Thanks!

Mark
Thanks, Mark. I'd like that and I'm glad there's no bad feelings.

Mark

Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
Originally Posted by MarkS
Thanks, Mark. I'd like that and I'm glad there's no bad feelings.

Mark
THAT is the MINI spirit!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
What exactly is NAM's function at MOTD?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Mark
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
What exactly is NAM's function at MOTD?
Here's a short list of what I did last year:

- the event schedule
- RSVPs for events
- coordination with our designers to create the t-shirts, event guides, and registration items
- distribution of the event guides to all attendees
- development and printing of vendor scavenger hunt cards
- coordination with all clubs managing sub-events during the weekend
- entry and management of registration, dinner tickets, etc. in the NAM store
- development of online reporting tools for clubs and groups managing sub-events during the weekend
- creation of spreadsheets for financial reconciliation with everyone running products/items through the NAM store
- reconciliation and payment of all catering with Fontana
- vendor registration, placements, and marketing for vendors at the event
- creation of registration packages including customized badges
- coordination with MINI USA management for their visit (in 2007 we had the VP of North America, the head of accessories, and a couple of regional MINI reps)
- arrival on-site two days prior to the event to inventory give-away items submitted by vendors, set-up of registration check-in process
- staying on site 1-2 days after the event to meet with Fontana for postmortem and planning for next year's event (I'm usually on site for a total of seven days...I live in Colorado BTW and fly in for this).
- management of volunteer workers
- coordination of lodging with Fontana for VIPs (ie - MINI USA)
- management of all attendee and vendor-related issues that occur at the event
- development of software for NAM that integrates all the above into something manageable for the event and provides everyone with a window into their planning for the event

Trying to make everyone as happy as I possibly can....priceless

While a lot of work its been my impression that the above has helped to grow the event and keep it fun for everyone. If that's not the case I would be more than happy to step aside and reclaim 4-5 months of time that usually goes into getting the event planned and executed.

Mark

Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Mark
Oh...and by the way. I just learned a couple of days ago that my counterpart at Fontana, Toni Crisp, has left Fontana and they do not currently have a replacement. Given this I'm really not looking forward to trying to pull this off and get someone up to speed on everything that we need. We're the largest event that Fontana draws the entire year. Having someone like Toni has been integral in making the event successful.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
And what kind of compensation does NAM and you get for this?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Mark
I'm getting the impression that I have, at some point in the past, greatly offended you and I will forever have you on my heels.

Regardless I'll ask a rhetorical question. If you were working full-time on something for 4-5 months and were supporting your family what would you expect to get paid? I can tell you frankly that the minimal amount of money that is made on registrations materials and vendor placements/promotions does not equate to the time invested in the event.

I largely got involved in the coordination and organization of the event because no one else works on this type of thing full time and with my involvement with NAM I thought that MOTD would be a great event to support however I could. Additionally with my software development background I felt that software could be used to help organize and distribute information for attendees.

Mark

Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I just wanted to get an idea on the kind of compensation you get. Obviously from the other posts you have made here and on the Palo Uber snafu thread you have a very vested interest in making money from the NAM members and more importantly the vendors.

And as some have pointed out, it seems to be at the expense of the members.

I question anyone's motives when it comes to something I have become a part of.

Granted MOTD has become a national event of huge proportions and I applaud your help in getting it organized. Now that we all know that you are taking a larger role in the promotion/organization of it, we can judge for ourselves the impact that this decision has on NAM.

Last edited by ScottinBend; 01-22-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Mark
To be perfectly fair I'm not exactly sure why we have such a difference of opinion in the way I conduct the site and myself. Would it help to actually speak on the phone rather than trying to read between the lines here?

I would be happy to give you a call if you are open to having some meaningful discussion.

Mark

Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 AM
hahnsie
you know im sexy
wow cant we all just get along

Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Thumper460
4th Gear
Why not lock this thread down, as usefull info is now gone, and start a ***** thread?? I feel it is impossible to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy!! But at least some one IS doing something , and some one is JUST jabbing at him!! yes??

Just me.............................

Thumper

Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been somewhat involved in the last two Dragons and I'm part of the hosting group for this years Welcome Dinner. I have also helped my local group host events that have over 100+ attendies. With that said, I'm still not sure I can still comprehend all the time that Mark spends on the MOTD. There are so many phone calls, details and in Marks case, computer code to be handle that the average person does not see. Just getting registration goodie bags for 800 folks filled and organized is a hugh task.

For me the test of good organizer, is the smoothness and size of the event. Last year we had over 800 folks and I pesonally thought things went very smoothly.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems that the only problem between MC2 and the Dragon and NAM was that MC2 didn't get some info on the event. Maybe what's needed is someone to volunteer to be the MotD PR guy for future events, make sure the dates get submitted to all the calenders, distribute press releases in the months prior, and then handle some photography and maybe an article about it afterwards.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Deviant,

Perfectly put!!!! Now we can move on.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I do not have a problem with Marks involvement in MOTD. I am sure there are a lot of folks that have no idea (as I am) that Mark was even involved. My concerns were the possible bad feelings between NAM and MC2.

I would like to thank Mark for all of his work, but remember.....he is not doing this w/o compensation. Not that he should, but to the uninformed it might seem that he was volunteering his time.

MOTD is something that I doubt I will ever be a part of. Too far away for a poor guy like me to get to. But it is really the premeir MINI event held in the States and I sincerely hope it can continue. Maybe even turn into a spring and fall event to try and handle all of the folks that would like to participate.

Mark, I don't have a problem with the overall handling of NAM. But I trully believe that you need to put the members of NAM at the top of the list of importance and put the vendors, and income, lower down that list.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
So Scottie, put your family and career second and car nuts first? Mark runs NAM as a JOB, you get paid for a JOB. I've run coutless events for MINI/Mini people and it's a ton of work with little thanks from the attendees. I think Mark has done a wonderful job and after attending ALL of the MOTDs I think it's just getting better and better!

Good Job Mark and sorry you have to handle the negatives along with all the positives.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimotorin
So Scottie, put your family and career second and car nuts first? Mark runs NAM as a JOB, you get paid for a JOB. I've run coutless events for MINI/Mini people and it's a ton of work with little thanks from the attendees. I think Mark has done a wonderful job and after attending ALL of the MOTDs I think it's just getting better and better!

Good Job Mark and sorry you have to handle the negatives along with all the positives.

Not sure where this comes from. I'm not asking Mark to do anything for free.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Mark, I don't have a problem with the overall handling of NAM. But I trully believe that you need to put the members of NAM at the top of the list of importance and put the vendors, and income, lower down that list.
I think this is the part he was referring to. NAM is his job and vendors advertising is what pays for it so the vendors are important to his income. It's difficult to straddle that line where you please your advertisers but still make the members happy and feel like they're the center of attention, NAM does a pretty good job of this.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow!

And to think. All that was needed was a "Thank you for bringing this up. We'd be happy to include it in the future calander listings."

Matt

Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Deviant
I think this is the part he was referring to. NAM is his job and vendors advertising is what pays for it so the vendors are important to his income. It's difficult to straddle that line where you please your advertisers but still make the members happy and feel like they're the center of attention, NAM does a pretty good job of this.
And I think this is where Mark can make some needed improvements.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
And to think. All that was needed was a "Thank you for bringing this up. We'd be happy to include it in the future calander listings."

Matt

Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Whew!! Now that is taken care of????
Moving right along...

Quick Reply: Snubbed by MC2?