North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   6th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (April 30-May 4, 2008) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/6th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-april-30-may-4-2008-233/)
-   -   Snubbed by MC2? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/6th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-april-30-may-4-2008/126289-snubbed-by-mc2.html)

Minutia 01-20-2008 08:24 AM

Snubbed by MC2?

It seems strange to me that MOTD is not listed in the MINI calendar on page 80 of the MC2 January-February issue. :no: Nor is MOTD mentioned in Dupre's Apex column on page 10. :confused: What gives? Isn't MOTD one of the bigger MINI events of the year or what?

Mark 01-20-2008 08:50 AM

It is the largest MINI event in the country with the exception of MINI Takes the States (but that isn't held every year). To some degree I've always gotten the impression that if NAM is involved in the coordination/promotion of an event (MOTD and MITM) MC2 doesn't give a lot of coverage to the event. That said while not putting it on the calendar there is almost always an article about it and MITM.

Mark

GBMINI 01-20-2008 09:15 AM

I bet it's mentioned in the wonderful NAM calendar :)

snooter 01-20-2008 10:51 AM

That's just plain wrong :sad:

Mark 01-20-2008 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by GBMINI (Post 1992320)

Yes...its definitely in the NAM calendar :thumbsup: As are other events that we aren't actively involved in planning and coordinating :wink:

Mark

Kilted 01-20-2008 01:53 PM

It is sad that a web site and bi-monthly mag.. that is so dependent on the success of the MINI can ignore the obvious:confused: . While I find MC2 a good read, they do seem to only hurt themselves by leaving MOTD out.

Mark 01-20-2008 03:54 PM

Regardless we'll have a good time anyway :thumbsup:

Minutia 01-20-2008 04:33 PM

This seems short sighted on MC2's part. MOTD is widely enough known that the omission probably does not hurt the event. MOTD was a great success before MC2 existed. Since MC2 is the only game in town (the only MINI mag in our market), they do not seem worried about leaving MOTD and MITM off the calendar. But it does hurt the readers as they are not being advised in advance of a key MINI event. Printing a recap after the event does not help MINI enthusiasts who may have wanted to attend.
Terry

Thumper460 01-21-2008 07:41 AM

There was "Reasons" for last years event. And there is possibly the same reasons for this years event. I'm sure BOTH could benefit from the exposure of ANY mag on ANY event!! Right "you two"??

Just me......................................

Thumper

COOP310 01-21-2008 09:18 AM

Maybe the people from MC2 just couldn't get a room. :wink:

Mini S Pilot 01-21-2008 09:26 AM

Maybe someone that subscribes to MC2 should forward this post to them. :nod: I'm sure there is a reason for this event to be left out,:roll: but if their readers make them aware that they want to see this information they may realize that it's in their interest and their readers interest to include it.:wink:

lawmann 01-21-2008 02:38 PM

Before we get too far into this and a huge rift is generated, I would like to offer my two cents.

Both NAM and MC2 provide a lot of valuable information to the MINI community. I like the NAM forum, I think it offers excellent cross-feed of ideas, great data to the modders out there, and some great fun just giving each other in the MINI community a hard time on occassion. NAM has done a lot to build the sense of community we all take part in.

MC2 has also provided a lot of valuable info to the MINI community and they have really done a great job of helping the individual clubs get notariety by listing the MINI clubs in their issues. MC2 also does a great deal to spread the word on what is going on in the MINI community by publishing articles on various MINI events throughout the country.

I would like to post a request to NAM and MC2; please talk to each other and work out whatever differences there may currently be between NAM and MC2, the only losers in not doing so and allowing the rift to grow will be the MINI owners who depend upon both of these forums for information.

Again only my two cents. Lets keep the friendly spirit of MINI alive.

Cheers-

Mark 01-21-2008 03:05 PM

Personally I don't have any issues with MC2. My statement above just indicated that I've gotten the impression that because of NAM's association with MOTD and MITM that they don't get as much attention as they would if NAM was associated. I know that MC2 has wanted to start doing their own events so it would seem that its more of a competitive issue. Regardless I think there is more than enough space and interest for each to happily coexist.

Mark

Edge 01-21-2008 03:18 PM

Worthy of note: The primary folks involved in producing MC2 (I'm not talking about contributors such as Dr Obnxs) have never been to the Dragon, nor does it seem that they ever plan on going. Part of the problem is they are on the west coast, and therefore I imagine they think it's just too far and not worth it. I guess they can't imagine it could possibly compete with the canyon roads of the west coast anyway. :roll:

If I was running a MINI-based magazine, you can be darn sure I'd make an effort to go to personally go to every major MINI event, at least once, regardless of who organized it. Having your finger on the "pulse" of the MINI community, nationwide, would be the key to success, I'd think.

Just my take, not any kind of "official" NAM statement or anything. I haven't yet been to all of the events myself, although I certainly hope to at some point.

Dr Obnxs 01-21-2008 03:19 PM

I write for MC2...

but that's about as far as it goes. If you have some issue with the mag, I'd suggest sending an e-mail to Barry (the publisher) at publisher@mc2magazine.com..... Barry tends to be pretty open to this stuff, and I'm sure that he'd be open to comments about how to make things better, or how to make improvements.

Just to be clear, I doubt that there is a "rift" more like a shortage of bandwidth. Also, many of the feature articles about events are contributed by subscribers, not done by staff (with tons of execptions as well). The calander is created by submission of those that want thier stuff listed, not culled by searching for what's out there. But to be fair, it's no big surprise that it's happening.... :wink:

Anyway, shoot Barry and e-mail and see where it goes!

Matt

Minutia 01-21-2008 05:34 PM

Barry has posted a response on the forum at http://www.mc2magazine.com. Apparently no one advised them of the MOTD and MITM dates so they were not listed or mentioned in MC2. Apparently the MC2 folks do not read "that other forum". :no:

TD

Mark 01-21-2008 05:44 PM

So here is MC2's response to this thread:

Dear readers and friends of MC2, your MINI magazine,

I thank you very much for the support several of you gave us in this thread. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...41#post1993841

I'm fascinated how this e-mail suddenly started out of the blue on a Sunday morning..... It seems to have a political foundation, as NAM is on the verge of starting their own online MINI magazine. I hear it's set to debut at the Dragon event. Their first two online issue's will be free to everyone, and then you'll have to pay for their paperless product, just like you do with MC2. Only you get six issues of 84-100 pages for $24.95 with MC2, and what will NAM's new idea be? Competition will likely discover many new and interesting pages of editorials for readers of both of them.

Addressing the apparent complaints about our MOTD coverage you will find that our debut issue of December 7, 2005 had a Dragon cover ( Jill Foss' Mean Mr. Bean MINI) and four pages of story inside (pages 28-31). The next issue of Dragon coverage was issue #4 of Sept-Dec 2007, with pages 48-51. Our most recent MOTD coverage was issue #9, July-Aug 2007, with a cover blurb and pages 30-33.

Two of those times, our Mark Scheuern covered the event with his fine camera work, with Molly Bunton writing the story the last time. Speaking of Mark, last year NAM asked him to provide legal paperwork from MC2 stating he was attending MOTD as our reporter. Yes, they requested media credentials for a public event, when none had ever been needed by anyone before 2007. This was asked on 4/29.

Coverage of MITM was first in our #5 issue of Nov-Dec 2006 for pages 46-49, and then in issue #11 of Nov-Dec 2007 on pages 70-73. Thanks to Rick Gonzales for the writing, and Norm Dettlaff and several other great club members for their photos both times.

Reality is, MOTD and MITM have had equal or greater pages in MC2 than the MOT event. Maybe they should be upset we have not been as generous to them?

Now that we are 13 issues old and doing very nicely, we are making far-reaching plans. We're currently involved with PS MINI and REME on the MINIfest (tm) Northwest and Magical Mystery MINI Tour events for 2008, talking with MINI USA about the MTTS and reaching out to the clubs nationally and internationally (we're the ONLY MINI magazine, forum or Website to cover MINI United with on-site reporters, tent and both paper and Website coverage in both 2005 and 2007!)
None of these events are money-making ventures for MC2, as they are being held by clubs for clubs, and no profit from the event will come into MC2's pocket, as they do with NAM's. We'll make our money the old-fashioned way - we'll sell MC2 subscriptions and MC2 t-shirts!

Readers and subscribers will soon see developments both online and in paper from us, as with the help of companies like Mini Mania, Moss, Dunlop Tire, Tire Rack, Mini Car Parts and others we're developing projects and editorials that will be a first/exclusive to us, with some really fun and great give-away for readers. We recently asked you to watch out for your MCSQ # (readership number) hidden in our pages. This time it's in Editor Peter's column, so I'm waiting to send some FREE Royal Purple Synthetic engine oil to someone. Next issue the prize for reading is getting larger says advertiser Bavarian Autosport.

I thank my friends in our community for helping to get this response out, as Dave Bunting of NAM management informed me personally early 2007, I no longer have posting privileges into NAM since we ceased advertising with them mid-2006, so I cannot reply myself as a private person. Oh well, so much for freedom of the press...

We are a small magazine serving just one marque. We want to serve all MINI owners, yet know we cannot do so due to a small staff and a bank account that's not funded by lottery winnings. We need help in knowing what you're all doing, when and where. Our MINI hobby is growing with almost 230,000 on the road in the USA, so we hope many of you will be patient. We're peddling as fast as we can.

Thanks for your patience, trust, respect and friendship. I trust you'll spread the word that we're trying, maybe even join us in our magazine's forum topic to discuss your needs.. http://www.mc2magazine.com/Forum.cfm

Barry Brazier, Publisher (publisher@mc2magazine.com)
Peter DuPre, Editor (editor@mc2magazine.com)
To touch on a couple of points that Barry brings up:

1) Our planned magazine. Yes we have been working on a putting together an online magazine. It will be part of a paid membership program that will encompass a bunch of site related features, some new member features that I've developed, the online magazine and other benefits. We are planning to launch everything late this month. For the first two issues of the magazine it will be free to anyone who downloads it. After that it will be available, in full, to members of the program. We'll still provide overviews of each issue to all members. Currently we have about 40-50 pages of content and will be limiting advertising placements to no more than 25% of each issue. In other words if we have 40 pages of content we can only have 10 pages of equivalent advertising making an issue 50 pages in size.

Regardless I have some software development remaining to be done and when that is tested we'll be launching.

2) Press credentials for last MOTD. Rather than contacting me initially we learned that through the grapevine that MC2 was going to have someone covering MOTD. That wasn't an issue, we just requested that we know who it was so we could make sure that when someone needed access somewhere that we could manage that need. We did receive a request from MC2 for access but that person never did present himself/herself to us at the event. Not that it was a big deal but I thought we could have helped them more if they had made themselves known (ie - introductions to the MINI management team while at the event).

At the minimum the issue raised in the first issue of the thread was that MOTD was left off the MC2 calendar of events. I stated my thoughts on the matter and here we are with the issue being much larger than I thought it was. As I said I think that there is more than enough room for all types of media in the MINI space.

Regardless I would recommend that you subscribe to MC2 as well as other magazines like AutoWeek. Both are always good reads and you leave knowing more.

Mark

jimz68 01-21-2008 05:58 PM

Nevermind.............

Minutia 01-21-2008 06:02 PM

Wow, I just made a casual observation. Seems where there is smoke there is fire. I think I will just go finish reading my magazine.
TD

howsoonisnow1985 01-21-2008 06:45 PM

Dude, did an official event coodinator submit to calender/events at MC2??

Minutia 01-21-2008 07:08 PM

Dude, I think it has become apparent that the leadership of these two organizations are separated by the Grand Canyon. :eek: Now we know.

Mark 01-21-2008 08:07 PM

I never thought it was a chasm but after seeing the reply from Barry I'm guessing there is a lot more to the this than I ever thought. Regardless I still think there is plenty of room for everyone in this space and I encourage everyone to check out MC2 if they haven't already as well as check out what we'll be doing here on NAM.

Mark

mini pooper 01-21-2008 09:03 PM

I offer my two-cents not to pour gas on the fire, but to offer an olive branch. I may be partly to blame for some omissions.

For almost the past two years I have researched and prepared a Mini Events newsletter. I worked on building an email data base of Mini enthusiasts and searched websites and forums tirelessly. I encouraged clubs to send me their events so I could include them. I enjoyed the contact with other clubs and finding out what they were doing. It always gave me ideas of new runs and events for our club.

Anyway....Barry Brazier and the MC2 Magazine crew launched their website and that gave me another opportunity to pass along this information to the Mini community which I felt it dearly needed. As I sent out these newletters, I got positive feedback on a 9-1 ratio. (9 positive to 1 negative). Most appreciated the news and the work, the others said I had got it wrong or left out something. After a few negative comments, I decided that all this work was not worth the effort and decided I had more pressing matters to deal with. I abruptly told Barry that I would no longer be seeking, maintaining, or providing my Mini Event information.

I think that it is the responsibility of the clubs and/or organizations to make sure that their events are published and sent to the right people in order to get them listed. It's a ton of work and a full time job to try to keep track of all the Mini events. So if you want your event listed, then write it up and send it to the people that will post it or publish it.

Aside from the omission of not including MOTD in the events listing in this last issue, I think that MOTD has gotten a good amount of coverage over the past few years and will continue to.

In closing, I am thankful of both MC2 Magazine and NAM for supporting our community and providing us the forums and print coverage to keep us all advised and aware of what's going on. Both do a fine job in a very competitive market. So lets give them both all the support we can.

arch-r 01-22-2008 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by GBMINI (Post 1992320)

Really? Go to the Calendar located here. See anything?
I've been trying to get a heads up on the actual "nights" I need to pay for my room. Any activities scheduled for Sunday. Should I plan to leave then, or Monday instead?:confused:

MarkS 01-22-2008 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1994744)
So here is MC2's response to this thread:

2) Press credentials for last MOTD. Rather than contacting me initially we learned that through the grapevine that MC2 was going to have someone covering MOTD. That wasn't an issue, we just requested that we know who it was so we could make sure that when someone needed access somewhere that we could manage that need. We did receive a request from MC2 for access but that person never did present himself/herself to us at the event. Not that it was a big deal but I thought we could have helped them more if they had made themselves known (ie - introductions to the MINI management team while at the event).

Since my name came up here... .

Mark, I sent you a PM in April just to say hi, saying I was attending, and to ask if I needed anything special to get access to events I didn't have tickets for. I'm not sure if I would call hearing directly from the person involved "through the grapevine", but in any case you responded, saying "We weren't contacted by Barry/Gary to arrange anything and had assumed that he didn't have an interest in covering the event in any way. If we had heard something we could probably provide better access to our VIP guests and access to the various events during the weekend." Fair enough if you didn't get enough advance notice or didn't get it from the right people. At the time I was a bit surprised at your surprise since MC2 had covered the event the two previous years so my assumption, perhaps incorrect, was that you'd expect coverage for 2007. And, to be frank, I expected less formality for obtaining access but that was my mistake.

In any case, we covered the event without trouble and lack of access to the ticketed events wasn't much of a problem, not that I made any real effort to get into them. IMO, it's the informal gatherings and of course the road itself that are more representative of the spirit of the event. As is often the case, the stuff on the edges tends to be more interesting.

I want to make it clear that my not meeting with you wasn't a personal snub. You had asked that I say hi when I get there and, as it turned out, I didn't get in until after midnight. I asked around the next few days but never did get hooked up with you. Not unexpected since we were both quite busy but I am sorry I didn't get to meet you and I hope we can do that soon. I did get to meet MINIClo and she was very kind and helpful.

I tend to be apolitical and drama-averse so, while I felt some awkwardness about what seemed to be some bad feelings on both sides, I did have a very good time and Molly and I got what we needed. I hope people were happy with the photos and article. My apologies if you feel you weren't notified in a sufficiently formal manner far enough in advance and again, sorry for not getting together with you while I was there but be assured neither was any kind of deliberate snub.

Mark