4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Is the Dragon Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:16 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIclo
I knew exactly what you meant, Patti! I once had the amazing "pleasure" of riding with Ryephile in his highly-modded Mr. Motor 2 from Fontana Village to Deal's Gap. It was literally hair-raising, and when I leaped out of his MINI, I shrieked, "that was better than sex! I need a smoke!" And then I declined to run the Dragon with him! lol:

Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by queenB
Chows, your thread has now been hijacked by S-E-X. You may never find out if the Dragon is over-rated but you may find it has become X-rated.

Maybe the point is that even those who do find The Dragon a wee bit overrated can still find some fun. There's more than one way to get an adrenaline rush!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Did you guys know that there is a secret group driving naked during the Midnight Dragon Runs? I wouldn't know...I was partying at the cabin

Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Yeah, what Sid said! You do NOT want to go to that overrated Dragon! I should know....I've been there 11 times....um...but it's really not that big of a deal.
yea it's overrated, i would stay away from that overrated road
but, i go to the Smokey's/Dragon for the scenery & the good company i keep when i'm there

Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, you ask a simple question that was written by some Journalist from the Great White North ...

Next thing you know, its all about

Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Perhaps a most scientific experiment is in order? I think it's time you make a journey to the Dragon and report back to us Chowsie

In the name of science of course.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
I hang my head in shame at making a **x-sham of your thread. When all you did was ask a simple question. (I have to admit the smiley thing was brilliant)

Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The event itself was very worth while and should be attended at least once if possible. As with any large mini gathering it is fun to compare notes and get new ideas from other enthusiasts as well as meet our customers . As for the dragon itself to me it is more of a " love to visit but would not want to live there " situation. My impressions may be a bit jaded as we have some pretty nice roads out here in So. Cal. but to me the dragon was a bit too tight , even for the prepared Minis I was fortunate to drive. It was great fun, and a beautiful experience but just a bit too tight for my liking. Now a road that really stood out and I hope I get it correct was route 19 coming up from Atlanta. If that is the wrong number perhaps a local can help me out but it was amazing. Freshly paved, and lined , sweeping banked turns , 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear , passing lanes on the uphill portions , truly amazing. I beleive it went thru a state park or forrest land if that is a hint of any type. MOTD a great experience but more so for the party than the driving in my opinion.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Originally Posted by maxmini
The event itself was very worth while and should be attended at least once if possible. As with any large mini gathering it is fun to compare notes and get new ideas from other enthusiasts as well as meet our customers . As for the dragon itself to me it is more of a " love to visit but would not want to live there " situation. My impressions may be a bit jaded as we have some pretty nice roads out here in So. Cal. but to me the dragon was a bit too tight , even for the prepared Minis I was fortunate to drive. It was great fun, and a beautiful experience but just a bit too tight for my liking. Now a road that really stood out and I hope I get it correct was route 19 coming up from Atlanta. If that is the wrong number perhaps a local can help me out but it was amazing. Freshly paved, and lined , sweeping banked turns , 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear , passing lanes on the uphill portions , truly amazing. I beleive it went thru a state park or forrest land if that is a hint of any type. MOTD a great experience but more so for the party than the driving in my opinion.

Randy
M7 Tuning
Did you take a ride on the Cherohala Skyway while in the area? If not, you would find that to your liking on a return trip.

chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by o4amini
I hang my head in shame at making a **x-sham of your thread. When all you did was ask a simple question. (I have to admit the smiley thing was brilliant)
o4 ... All is OK!!! I don't care ... plz dont feel bad

Motor On ...

Actually, I should say I have driven that road once, about in 1996, long before it was so well known and long before MINI were born. Its a long story but basically we were heading west for a trip around the country. Hit I40, down through the Smokies, then I (dummie me) got lost looking for the next Interstate. No GPS back then and the wife was absolutely furious because there was NOTHING there, just trees and bears, us in a loaded sedan and my stupid male ego refusing to ask directions

Of course at the time, I had no idea the road was to become famous. All my wife knew was she was SICK of the damnnn curves, sick of the trees, sick of seeing no cars, and sick of me

She forgave me about the time we hit Lousiana?

Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by maxmini
My impressions may be a bit jaded as we have some pretty nice roads out here in So. Cal. but to me the dragon was a bit too tight, even for the prepared Minis I was fortunate to drive. It was great fun, and a beautiful experience but just a bit too tight for my liking.
Too tight? That's a surprise to hear. I'm of the opinion that if the road can be negotiated without crossing the double yellow or running off the shoulder, then it isn't too tight. The tighter the better, in fact!

Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Too tight? That's a surprise to hear. I'm of the opinion that if the road can be negotiated without crossing the double yellow or running off the shoulder, then it isn't too tight. The tighter the better, in fact!
I can see Randy's point though. Remember, the original article was about Porsche NA doing a media day to show the MY07 models for the journalists. There are now more articles on the Internet about the exact same event from US journalists.

The Canadian journalist saying the road was overrated may be related to the fact they really couldn't open those cars up ... a matter of perspective ... If you never get out of second gear, you can't work a sports car as hard.

Are you more scared at 9/10s doing 30 - 50 MPH or at 75 MPH? I would imagine the faster the speed, the more the factor.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:46 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
o4 ... All is OK!!! I don't care ... plz dont feel bad
I'm good!!! Really. I just made our reservation for 2007. Get'm while you can NAMers if you want to go.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:49 PM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by o4amini
I'm good!!! Really. I just made our reservation for 2007. Get'm while you can NAMers if you want to go.
gosh darn it, i suppose i could drag myself to that overrated road again in the spring of 07

Old 08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
I can see Randy's point though. Remember, the original article was about Porsche NA doing a media day to show the MY07 models for the journalists. There are now more articles on the Internet about the exact same event from US journalists.

The Canadian journalist saying the road was overrated may be related to the fact they really couldn't open those cars up ... a matter of perspective ... If you never get out of second gear, you can't work a sports car as hard.

Are you more scared at 9/10s doing 30 - 50 MPH or at 75 MPH? I would imagine the faster the speed, the more the factor.
Chows you do get my point . I like the slightly higher speeds where more factors come into play. I am sure my fun was safer on the dragon than my usual haunts. Again its a good time and we will be back , it's just not my cup of tea .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 08-24-2006, 03:00 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Over hyped, maybe. Over rated? No.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Well, my first thought was that I don't think it would be anywhere near as much fun in a Porsche. I have nothing against Porsches, but just think the Dragon wouldn't be on the top of my list if I had one.
Oh, and the Dragon is definitely awesome on a Thursday around 10am. I've done a few day runs from here, and that has been the best run day by far.
And the 50mph crack from the journalist was just plain stupid. I can just picture smoking Porsches in the side of a cliff dotted throughout the 11 miles. Only a really experienced driver should even think about 50mph on the Dragon, and warn people first, so the rest of us can stay home!
Annette

Old 09-05-2006, 02:13 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
when i was growing up, 50 WAS the limit on 129...

my mom used to barrel down that road in a custom cruiser filled with kids...

make us all sick.

whee!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
And the 50mph crack from the journalist was just plain stupid. I can just picture smoking Porsches in the side of a cliff dotted throughout the 11 miles.
Annette
That was just a comment by an automotive journalist. Since I have never been on the road (Except for a long time ago), I cannot comment on that since I dont know how fast people drive it.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:09 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Overrated...?

YES, it wasn't much before it got a name, still the same with one. Just made me seasick and I am a sailboat skipper, and that was on a Yamaha RZ350, the ultimate small streetbike racer. I'll take all the other roads in that area any day and skip the traffic jams and all the COPS.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:36 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CDMINI
YES, it wasn't much before it got a name, still the same with one. Just made me seasick and I am a sailboat skipper, and that was on a Yamaha RZ350, the ultimate small streetbike racer. I'll take all the other roads in that area any day and skip the traffic jams and all the COPS.
Well, what do you expect if you don't get out there early? LOL! My pals and I always get in great runs at the Dragon, even on weekends, by hitting the road SUPER EARLY! I've had clean runs with nobody else on the road!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:52 PM
hahnsie
you know im sexy
that may be a tad dangerous..fun but dangerous

Old 11-05-2006, 06:32 PM
JanCo
1st Gear
The Dragon

All this talk about the Dragon has made my mouth watr! I can't wait. Never been, but have heard all the tails ! We made our reservations last June, and I don't want to wish time away, but I'm ready to go!

Old 12-17-2006, 11:11 AM
91Eunos
4th Gear
...in short, NO!

I make the Haj every year if I can at the end of July...have travelled from CA 3 times to do so and will "commute" from Germany in '07. Luckily I keep my '91 BRG Miata at my bro's house in Atlanta...and a bunch of friends in the area including the folks at R-Speed!

Last edited by 91Eunos; 12-18-2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: realized I answered exactly the opposite of my intent!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:14 AM
91Eunos
4th Gear
..it's mostly about teh friendship and booze though. Lights-out runs accross the Cherhola Skyway at midnight under a full moon... and of course the nekked Gap Runs w/ my Darksider friends!

Blowing up 2 enginesin the last 6 or so years in the process was just an added bonus!

Quick Reply: Is the Dragon Overrated?