4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Is the Dragon Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:15 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
It's over crowdedlol:

Old 12-17-2006, 12:16 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It must be a MINI thing

I know Loti has their day and Miatas and S2000

But how come you never see MB SLK days?

Or how about ... M6 days?

Or Aston Martin Days?

Or Ferrari/Lambo days?

Old 12-17-2006, 06:47 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, there are lots of different "days". I was there one time and it was SSR day. I had to ask....why?

Old 12-17-2006, 06:56 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by queenB
Oh, there are lots of different "days". I was there one time and it was SSR day. I had to ask....why?
Because its a six second truck with a big hunking Vette engine?

Old 12-17-2006, 07:04 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Still a truck. And then there were the HHRs, not many though.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Drewmon
2nd Gear
I concur...

I've attended MOTD for the past three years and I'll make it again this year. 129 is a fantastic road and I think any aspiring enthusiast should drive it. However, the variables involved in making the driving portion of the MOTD event risky increase each year: more cars, greater variance in driver experience, and the unyielding locals that try to put drivers in harm's way (oiling the road, DUI).

The camaraderie and MINI fun at MOTD is great, but I plan on finding more time at the track (gotta' win the lottery first... )or hitting the road in an off week in the years ahead. There are also some great alternatives in the area as QueenB noted (and graciously led a "private" tour two years back.) that I'd encourage more folks to seek out versus packing in the Dragon.

So, is the road overrated? Nope, it is a excellent piece of tarmac to challenge one's prowess and car tuning. Unfortunately it's just becoming too well known to be an effective touge.

Originally Posted by maxmini
The event itself was very worth while and should be attended at least once if possible. As with any large mini gathering it is fun to compare notes and get new ideas from other enthusiasts as well as meet our customers . As for the dragon itself to me it is more of a " love to visit but would not want to live there " situation. My impressions may be a bit jaded as we have some pretty nice roads out here in So. Cal. but to me the dragon was a bit too tight , even for the prepared Minis I was fortunate to drive. It was great fun, and a beautiful experience but just a bit too tight for my liking. Now a road that really stood out and I hope I get it correct was route 19 coming up from Atlanta. If that is the wrong number perhaps a local can help me out but it was amazing. Freshly paved, and lined , sweeping banked turns , 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear , passing lanes on the uphill portions , truly amazing. I beleive it went thru a state park or forrest land if that is a hint of any type. MOTD a great experience but more so for the party than the driving in my opinion.

Randy
M7 Tuning