4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Suggestions for MOTD 2007!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:53 AM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of having a second "Midnight" on the Dragon on Friday night sounds great to me. It would be hard for me to take that many days off in a row if I had to take Thursday, Friday and Monday. Not all of us are self employed

It doesn't really matter to me where the vendors are as long as they all are in one spot, and it would be nice if they had one big tent to be under so we wouldn't get rained on going from vendor to vendor.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TWISTER
A lot of great ideas being discussed here. I know our club will be hosting the Drive-In again next year if everything goes well. Let me know if there is something we can do to make that a better event.
Mark,

In my mind, the Drive-In was a huge success, the only thing missing being popcorn . Thanks for all the hard work putting it together, btw. My only (minor) complaint was the persistent hum over my stereo that detracted slightly from an otherwise enjoyable time. Thanks again!

BD

Old 05-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
I would have liked to had the Midnight on the Dragon earlier in the event schedule. By that last evening I was too tired to drive the Dragon at midnight and I had to get an early start out the next morning... It's not good to start a 600 mile drive w/ only 4 hours of sleep.
I agree 100%!!! I as well, was too whipped to safely tackle the Dragon again (and in the dark). Great suggestion.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I notice a lot of talk about people wanting an alternative to Midnight on Saturday. Sounds like the consensus is that quite a few people would be interested in "An Evening With the Dragon" to be held earlier in the evening on Friday.

It also looks like we have a great list of volunteers who have stepped up to the plate to organize this new event.

agranger
snooter
big Daddy
HotRodPilot
Thameth
chows4us

Midnight on the Dragon will still be at midnight Saturday, but I will DEFINITELY come along as a participant on any other evening drive that makes its way into the schedule! .

If I can offer any advice or tips on how to organize a night run, just let me know. We do have a good system for parking in the gravel lot for maximum use of space as well as visual impact for photographs with all the MINI's facing the same direction.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
I notice a lot of talk about people wanting an alternative to Midnight on Saturday. Sounds like the consensus is that quite a few people would be interested in "An Evening With the Dragon" to be held earlier in the evening on Friday.

It also looks like we have a great list of volunteers who have stepped up to the plate to organize this new event.

agranger
snooter
big Daddy
HotRodPilot
Thameth
chows4us

Midnight on the Dragon will still be at midnight Saturday, but I will DEFINITELY come along as a participant on any other evening drive that makes its way into the schedule!
I have already booked my cabin for Tuesday thru Saturday at MOTD07 and am officially volunteering (some of) my time to help out wherever needed, be it directing traffic, picking up garbage, etc.

I suggest that the organizers develop a volunteer list and schedule and supply easily recognizable badges or T-shirts to those who are helping out.

Don

Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 AM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hats off to all the organizing groups and individuals! This was an awesome event and much improved from MOTD3. Bravo!

I would add my voice to having all the vendors in one area if at all possible, and that area would NOT be blocking off the adventure/recreation center parking lot if registration and other events take place there. In my eyes, there is too little space there for people to park anyway and blocking off the area would make access to the registration folks just that much tougher. If registration could be held elsewhere (the lobby of the lodge, perhaps?) then the whole parking area around the Recreation Center might be able to be blocked off. Just a thought.

One more thought -- the idea of building an unbreakable "tradition" with just four years of history does not quite measure up in my eyes. No offense intended, Clo, but let's keep innovation, invention, and flexibility as the "tradition" of this event. "Midnight on the Dragon" takes place 365 days a year, the only difference is who is there.

Once again, awesome event!

Paul

Old 05-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by paulsminis
I would add my voice to having all the vendors in one area if at all possible, and that area would NOT be blocking off the adventure/recreation center parking lot if registration and other events take place there. In my eyes, there is too little space there for people to park anyway and blocking off the area would make access to the registration folks just that much tougher.
I know we are all at the Dragon to motor and enjoy our MINIS and Minis, but what is wrong with walking a few steps? Would it truly be unthinkably to actually walk 200 yards or an unthinkable 1/2 a mile to get registered? Along those lines, why do MINIS or Minis have to cruise through the Vendor area unless they are being moded or worked on?
I always laugh about folks doing laps in the gym parking lot until they get the spot closest to the entrance, but at least they go to work out. Alltogether though isn't the American population on average a bit ready for some exercise other than walks to the fridge?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:04 AM
chows4us
6th Gear

agranger
snooter
big Daddy
HotRodPilot
Thameth
chows4us

Midnight on the Dragon will still be at midnight Saturday, but I will DEFINITELY come along as a participant on any other evening drive that makes its way into the schedule! .
Yucca, I was making a suggestion.

It does nothing to take anything away from tradition.

Traditions and Rituals have always been part of human society and should be respected by all by those that follow from the originators. My hats are off to you sndwave, koolmini, & Clo.. The world needs pathfinders and those willing to be the first

I regret I was unable to attend this year cause it sounded like real fun (unfortunate cirumstances). Actually, leaving earlier in the night might appeal to those who have to leave early Sunday to get home. From the few organizing mtgs I attended, I know its a very hard, tedious job and some of the unnamed (from what I've seen posted unnamed) committee chairs appear to have done a tremendous amount of work, behind the scenes, and they should be applauded as well.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:13 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
How about hiring a professional DJ or band and hold a dance party under the stars? Mini Woodstock?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Moskito
I know we are all at the Dragon to motor and enjoy our MINIS and Minis, but what is wrong with walking a few steps? Would it truly be unthinkably to actually walk 200 yards or an unthinkable 1/2 a mile to get registered? Along those lines, why do MINIS or Minis have to cruise through the Vendor area unless they are being moded or worked on?
I always laugh about folks doing laps in the gym parking lot until they get the spot closest to the entrance, but at least they go to work out. Alltogether though isn't the American population on average a bit ready for some exercise other than walks to the fridge?

Agreed, part of the way to help the vendors is to force people to walk through the vendor area and to registration. The only problem with this is that you will have to police the lazy people who decide to be creative and park as close as possible.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
How about hiring a professional DJ or band and hold a dance party under the stars? Mini Woodstock?
Ohhhh! Party on the Dragon!

Turn end of the run into a little tribal party hehehe.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HotRodPilot
The idea of having a second "Midnight" on the Dragon on Friday night sounds great to me. It would be hard for me to take that many days off in a row if I had to take Thursday, Friday and Monday. Not all of us are self employed

It doesn't really matter to me where the vendors are as long as they all are in one spot, and it would be nice if they had one big tent to be under so we wouldn't get rained on going from vendor to vendor.
A second "Midnight on the Dragon" would be great. Though i think if we decide to take it on, it should stay with "tradition" and still be at Midnight just on Friday.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:43 AM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear

agranger
snooter
big Daddy
HotRodPilot
Thameth
chows4us

If I can offer any advice or tips on how to organize a night run, just let me know. We do have a good system for parking in the gravel lot for maximum use of space as well as visual impact for photographs with all the MINI's facing the same direction.

I'll be happy to help wih anything I can, but there is a 50/50 chance I will/won't be there next year since I'm scheduled to deploy anytime between May and September of next year.

Things I'd be interested in helping with:
  • The Drive-In - our club (Mark) organized it this year, and I would like to help out some more with that. We can look into the popcorn suggestion too
  • The Friday running of Midnight on the Dragon
  • Coordinate with the vendors and get find a "tent company" to come out and set one up for them on Wednesday to be taken down on Monday, wherever people decide they want the vendors to be.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:21 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Oooh, JustJAY (ok my husband) has just though of a really good idea for the raffle numbers.

Since we had a problem this year with losing raffle tickets, we have thought of a good idea to solve it.

Everyone NEEDS a badge, right! The badges become the raffle numbers. On the back of the badges are printed each individuals raffle numbers. While we are making up the registration lists, we will have printed as well, each person's raffle numbers. For the Full registration there are 4 like this year, and for Basic 1 number on each badge. No one seemed to lose their badge since it had their name on it.

Ok, so here is how it will work. People have to register for the dinners. We know who is at the dinners by their registeration...hence we have all their raffle numbers...If you lose you your badge, you lose your raffle numbers. you HAVE to have your badge to claim your prizes. You HAVE to have your badge to get your bracelet for the dinner, therefore you HAVE your raffle ticket numbers for the drawings.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:10 PM
PRRRRL
1st Gear
That's a REALLY good idea...

Old 05-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PRRRRL
That's a REALLY good idea...
Agreed! Awesome idea, That and the person who had the idea for the car tags are probably some of the best ones. Keep them coming everybody!

Old 05-14-2006, 04:21 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
An easier way to make the badges into event registrations (for paid events like the dinners): Colored stickers with unique numbers printed on them! The color would make it easy for the door-keeper to identify who can come in. The number would be for the drawing.

Great idea, MiniNurse!

Old 05-14-2006, 09:12 AM
COOPER FLAGS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Gabe
Thank you. There are so many left-field statements being spouted off here I wouldn't know where to start. Now, how to improve the Dragon? How about hangtags for cars that have the car owners name and/user ID. Or stickers that are designed to fit on the front of mirrors indicating name, ID etc. Sorta like they did at Misano but with actual info.
We tried to provide a "name tag" for each mini by donating a window cling for the windshield of every registered Mini, displaying the owners screen name or the name they entered when registering. Unfortunately I only saw a few being used.

We would be happy to discuss providing a similar tag for next year, maybe another windshield cling with more information, a small vinyl decal to be placed on lower left corner of the windshield, or even a small magnetic badge to be place somewhere on the body or on the new magnetic badge holders from MINI. ( I like this idea because it can be used at all events to display your information)

Early planning is the key, so if anyone has a suggestion as to what the majority of participants would prefer, please let me know. Or we could poll all NAM members to see what they think.

I want to thank everyone that came by our booth at the event, we really enjoyed meeting everyone and putting a face to some of the email and phone conversations over the past two years.

Looking forward to see everyone at the 5th annual MOTD.
Ed

Old 05-14-2006, 10:03 AM
magic mini
5th Gear
We had the off topic band. . . I like that idea of the party under the stars.
People may have notice the CooperHead stuff we were giving away and selling. The idea behind the Cooperheads is that we are parting and hanging out like a bunch of Cooper Heads. Cooper Heads are also like Groupies of the Off Topic Band.
The one thing I would like to see at the MOTD 2007 is more vendors. I heard that the price to be a vendors was very high. Why is vendors charged to be there when they support Nam all year long?

Old 05-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Minimom
3rd Gear
I would like to see a big, gigantic party - whether you are registered or not, you can attend! No food, maybe pot luck snacks or something. Blenders buzzing and big ice coolers full of drinks (nonalcoholic as well).

A party with a band, in the evening when we are all tired of motoring. A social get together with EVERYONE having their screen names pasted on them somewhere!

There needs to be a place and time for everyone to meet. This year was a blast but I missed seeing lots of people with all the different things going on. Just a suggestion!

Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 AM
wheelspnr
2nd Gear
more suggestions

First and foremost - SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE IN CHARGE !! There isn't one area or individual that could be contacted, called for an emergency, or had the last word on any activity that I was aware of.

That someone in charge would NOT allow $26 hot dog welcome dinners and would find a venue for dinners that everyone could attend - and pay a reasonable price.
Forced charitable donations should NOT be allowed. Give to whatever charity you wish - just don't force me to follow your lead.

I agree with a previous poster that there's really no reason to register. Who needs a $40 teeshirt. There has to be a value attached to registration - and at least for the last two years, that value was not there. Yes ..some of the $18,000 in fees went for expenses, but I sure couldn't assign anything near that dollar amount to what was recieved.

The vendor turnout this year was noticeable better than last - but again, there was little organization. The organizers of this event need to step to the plate and take over - not just take the registration money and sit passively and allow the event to run itself. A list of all vendors with websites, phone number would have been nice.

The addition of the autocross was excellent - the Eastern Tenn. Group did a great job - and considering so many first-timers tried it, a huge thumbs up there.

To iterate: someone needs to be in charge. That someone has not be apparent the last two years. More activities need to be added. The ones this year was a great start. A better value needs to be included with registration- all I happened to do was pick up the "packet", do the autocross and visit with some of the attendees. Not hardly worth a 1300 mi. trip that will probably result in a kidney transplant ... these cars are certainly not turnpike cruisers.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Minimom
3rd Gear
I would consider being a part of the "in charge" team. However, AtlantaMINIs does not want to hold another dinner next year. Our club has done them all and want to rest.

I agree about having a few people that pretty much know everything that is going on and can get information out to attendees prior to MOTD. A message board for all going would be a good idea with maps, detailed postings of events, etc.

The trick will be getting all things organized, vendors, etc., without having to charge the attendees in any way. We have to remember that a lot of MINI owners simply cannot afford to attend expensive events AND pay for their hotel fee and food at the same time.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:50 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Some of us thought of a Karaoke Night to correspond with the Beer Swap. We figured that those would come together well with pretty good results.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:27 AM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Originally Posted by wheelspnr
First and foremost - SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE IN CHARGE !! There isn't one area or individual that could be contacted, called for an emergency, or had the last word on any activity that I was aware of.
I don't forsee anyone person or group in charge of this event. It started out as different groups organizing. Sometimes those different groups have different ideas about how it should be done, even seriously conflicting at times. It wouldn't be right or fair for one club to take over and tell others what to do.

The challenge is to continue the event and improve communication and coordination between those doing the work.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Minimom
I would like to see a big, gigantic party - whether you are registered or not, you can attend! No food, maybe pot luck snacks or something. Blenders buzzing and big ice coolers full of drinks (nonalcoholic as well).

A party with a band, in the evening when we are all tired of motoring. A social get together with EVERYONE having their screen names pasted on them somewhere!

There needs to be a place and time for everyone to meet. This year was a blast but I missed seeing lots of people with all the different things going on. Just a suggestion!
That's what I said

Quick Reply: Suggestions for MOTD 2007!