4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Number of registered MOTD4 attendees, by state

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Hangman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all these people and their Minis attending I must say it was a poor turnout for the panoramic photo at the dam. George had planned for upwards of 400 this year but there were far less than last year. Shame!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Hangman
With all these people and their Minis attending I must say it was a poor turnout for the panoramic photo at the dam. George had planned for upwards of 400 this year but there were far less than last year. Shame!
Actually, there are good reasons for that:
  1. The panoramic photo only came together in the last few weeks prior to the event. Therefore there wasn't much buzz and people didn't know about it. It wasn't even in the program guide, since we had printed them a month before.
  2. The pending rain probably scared some people off too.
So basically it's the committee's fault (including me) for dropping the ball and not following up with him early in the process. Somehow, it became the general accepted understanding that George didn't want to do it again this year. Once that was the accepted situation, nobody actually contacted George to confirm it.

It of course turned out to have been quite untrue, and it wasn't until Wagnbat (Will) stood up and asked questions, and actually did contact George, that it came together. I have already apologized in person to George on behalf of the committee. Next year will certainly be different, with early contact and proper arrangements.

I don't think we would have managed to get 400 MINIs in the picture though, because I don't think that many people would have participated. 250 MINIs would likely have been a more realistic number, but as it stood (with poor advance communication), we only got 114. A shame, but I hope George still finds it worthwhile.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:48 AM
mininana
2nd Gear
A couple of people in our group that day (4 MINIs)knew about it, but we got held up in Vonore/Madisonville getting a passport ordered for my husband. It was his only chance to get it before he has to go back offshore. I did NOT intend to hold the whole group up, but due to miscommunication on my part, I guess, they waited on us instead of grabbing a bite of lunch and heading back. I'm really sorry about that. I know they were disappointed.