3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

What to Pack for MINIs on The Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Oh, and at least one pair of hot shoes! Now that I have my Garmin, I have more room for shoes! YAY!
The Dragon + shoes in the same thread... its like the most fabulous conversation EVER..

Old 03-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I need to go out and buy a new set just for the dragon. A nice slim shoe that fits the pedals well :smile:

Old 03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Xanda
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by agokart
I need to go out and buy a new set just for the dragon. A nice slim shoe that fits the pedals well :smile:
With lead in the sole to assist in the depreesing of the gas pedal

Old 03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
1Badseed
Neutral
Last year we hit a pot hole (or rolled a tire) and only got a few good runs.

Tried to find some place to get a replacement and had no luck. We even drove to Ashville, NC. I almost had Tirerack mail me a whole new set of wheels, because we were so pissed, but missed the Fed Ex cut off by a few hours. This year I'm bringing a second set of tires in the chase vehicle.

Keep in mind when they say you are in the sticks you truly are in the sticks. If you want it, bring it with you, or you will be driving your a** to get it.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:58 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
if anyone in or around the charlotte, nc area wants to use my camera mount let me know. i have two but one stays fixed in my car. it mounts between the two rear head rest and uses whatever the stock video camera mount screw is. i use it to record my track days so if is plenty strong enough for a dragon run. just make sure it gets back to me when your done with it. remember to share if you use it.

i use the same name on mini2. my profile there has some pictures of the mount, check it out if you'd like.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:42 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Andrew, keep a bottle of that Octane (orange bottle) I sent you with your VacuCam. I *think* I sent it to you. It works great for relieving motion sickness!!! I swear by it!

Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
One thing I wish I had last year when I was a passenger on the Dragon was some medication for motion sickness! Even at the leisurely pace we were going, I felt a little queasy by the time we stopped.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Richard,

Thanks for the tip about using the Octane for motion sickness. I'll give it a try and I do still have some left!

Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Hmmmm, maybe I'll bring some emergency motion sickness packets of Octane when I come. LOL

I forgot to mention, just rub some in your palms and apply it to your face--eyes closed of course. Make sure you focus it around the eyes and outer part of the eye lids. Once it's rubbed in, it'll feel all cool and icy, and the queazy feeling should go away immediately. Works for me!

Richard

Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Richard,

Thanks for the tip about using the Octane for motion sickness. I'll give it a try and I do still have some left!

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 03-16-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Big Jimmy
2nd Gear
May have to include that in the rest of my geekish pre-dragon order:smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 04-02-2005, 10:12 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Also, for those of you with allergies/hay fever, remember to bring some Claritin, or whatever helps relieve your symptoms.

Clover

Old 04-04-2005, 03:12 AM
jamesbopp
1st Gear
What channel are we using?

I remember we have used channel 7 and some sub freq - anyone know which channel and sub freq most are using? I am going to be traveling by my self from DE to Fontana on Thursday. Anyone trveling on I-81 let me know.
BBopp

Old 04-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by jamesbopp
I remember we have used channel 7 and some sub freq - anyone know which channel and sub freq most are using?
7 sub 21

Old 04-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamesbopp
I remember we have used channel 7 and some sub freq - anyone know which channel and sub freq most are using? I am going to be traveling by my self from DE to Fontana on Thursday. Anyone trveling on I-81 let me know.
BBopp
You're welcome to join the DC Metro MINIs on caravaning (uhh, is that a word?) down to the dragon. Details are here if interested!

-Paul!

Old 04-04-2005, 05:06 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Can you believe it, as I type this we're just 60 days away from MINIs on The Dragon 2005!
Make that 30 days

Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Who thinks they can hold their breath that long?

I figured two months was plenty of lead time for everybody to start working on their lists of what to pack and what to bring, and in the case of some people which shoes to pack!

With that in mind, I'd like to provide everyone with a recommended list of items to bring down with them:

• FRS or GMRS radio. Cellular phone coverage in the area is poor at best, plus given the number of people and how spread out people can be, these are essential for communicating with everybody. You don't have to spend a lot of money on your radio if you don't wish to, you can often times find two packs of FRS or GMRS radios for around $20, while high end radios may sell for $100 each. The key difference between an FRS radio and a GMRS radio is that the GMRS radios have a higher power output (and theoretically a longer range) and can use more radio channels than an FRS radio. However if you have an FRS radio, you can talk to somebody with a GMRS radio. The key thing to look for when you are shopping for a radio- make sure it supports privacy or sub-channels. The goup will be using chanel 7 subchannel 21, if your radio doesn't support subchannels, you'll be able to talk to the group, but won't be able to hear the group respond to you. If you intend to participate in group drives when you return home, your radios will still be useful, as many MINI Clubs throughout the country use them on their drives.
  • Bug Spray: While the bugs aren't too bad this time of the year, we are still up in the woods, and there are some mosquitos about in the evenings (although not enough to carry away small children... yet!) It's a good idea to bring some Deep Woods Off! or equivalent just in case.
  • Food: Are you participating in the Chili Cookoff? Don't forget your Chili fixin's or your pot luck item. While there are restaurants at both Fontana and Tapoco, hot dogs and burgers available at Crossroads of Time, and some fast food and BBQ in Robbinsville, if you're staying in a cabin you'll have a full kitchen available to you, and it's not a bad idea to bring some groceries with you too. There is a small convience store at Fontana which carries many of the essentials, but this is still Fontana's off season so they may have a limited inventory. There's also a supermarket in Robbinsville if you need to pick up some last minute options.
  • Clothes: Definately bring some! If the weather is similar to the previous two Dragon events held at this time of year during the day most people will be comfortable in long pants and short sleeve shirts. However it may get chilly in the evenings and you may want to have a sweatshirt or jacket with you as well for the cool nights.
  • Alcohol: First, under no circumstances do we support or encourage drinking and driving! Especially on the roads in the area, they're challenging enough sober, let's not add alcohol to the mix please. That being said, if you do wish to drink while you're there then you need to bring your booze in with you. Graham County NC, and Blount County TN (the two counties on either side of the Dragon) are both dry counties. While not illegal to consume alcoholic beverages in these counties, with a few exceptions it is illegal to sell them. One of those exceptions is Tapoco Lodge where there is limited alcohol sales there.
  • Camera: Trust us, 200+ MINIs gathered together is something you're going to want to have pictures of! With that also make sure you have plenty of film and batteries, both of which may be expensive to purchase down there. Shooting digital? Make sure you have either plenty of memory or a laptop to copy pictures too, don't expect to find anyplace down there that carries memory cards.
  • Flashlight: As always safety first. If you're staying at the Fontana it gets very dark at night, should you decide to go walking around the property at night a flashlight will make it you more visible. Plus it's always handy to have a flashlight with you.
It was also suggested to me that a camping chair or two might not be a bad idea as well. Especially if you're going to be hanging out with your car (say at the Dam, Crossroads of Time etc...) and chatting with everybody.
This reminds me of camping:smile: Now I know what to pack

Old 04-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Minzilla
4th Gear
This reminds me of camping:smile: Now I know what to pack
Yup,
1.Scotch
2.winning chili
3.Scotch

Old 04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
1. Boones Farm
2. Flip flops
3. Fresca

Old 04-05-2005, 07:18 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by Minzilla
Yup,
1.Scotch
2.winning chili
3.Scotch
Any Scotch in the winning chili recipe? If not....SLACKER!

Clover

Old 04-05-2005, 08:25 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I guess we'll get along just fine Min
Originally Posted by Minzilla
Yup,
1.Scotch
2.winning chili
3.Scotch

Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Minzilla
4th Gear
1. Boones Farm
2. Flip flops
3. Fresca
Yep I remember College,,,,,,,,,,,Boonies Apple wine ,,,,,weeedoggie!

Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Don Rico Coconut Rum...ask Clo how good this stuff is

Old 04-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
large quantities of red bull would be good also

Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Also large quantities of Sundrop! Man I lived off of that stuff in Minnesota, but now I'm in Michigan, i only will get it when I go to ohio! But..... I will be bringing back large quantities of it.. oh i know I'll pack my clothes and some tools, and full size spares and brakes and pads and umm..... my secret ingredient..

Old 04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by kgdblu
Don Rico Coconut Rum...ask Clo how good this stuff is
This stuff, poured over crushed ice, is so good that it yanked me off the wagon! Heh heh...and it is NOT the same as Malibu Coconut Rum, which is tasty but not even on the same level as the true Caribbean Don Rico! MMM mmm mmmmmmmmmm!!! Bring it on, Katie!

Clover

Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 PM
minihoopercooper
3rd Gear
DON'T FORGET BEANO - SEVERAL HOURS OF SAMPLING CHILI
my best friend is coming with and says this should be at the top of the list

Old 04-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Minzilla
4th Gear
If you properly fork the beans, it lets out all the gas before they're ingested (old chinese secret to long and fruitful life)

Any Scotch in the winning chili recipe? If not....SLACKER!
Clo, making Chili this weekend since it will be snowing here in Ohiya, think all the scotch will go into the Chili Chef

Quick Reply: What to Pack for MINIs on The Dragon