1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini..How dependable are they?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 AM
zemookie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini..How dependable are they?

Hi it is me again looking for more info on mini's. I have driven one and I liked it. Though..the one I drove had to be jumped started. Supposly the guy left the lights on. And when I took it out it had this strange light flashing in between the steering wheel. Looked like a "U" shape.

I have read that these cars have had some issues with electrical problems.

My question is have any of you had major issues with your cars? Besides wanting to drive a zippy car, I want on that will pretty much last 100k or more.

If this has been covered already please point me to the thread. Sorry if this is a repeated question.

TIA

Old 04-22-2007, 11:32 AM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
i have had my car since feb of 2004 and the only problem i ever had was one day last year the windows wouldn't come down, tried it again the next day before calling the dealer and they were fine which made me think i was going crazy but the guy who i carpooled to work with said he remembered them not working, and they have worked fine ever since so not really a big deal

all in all much better than the accord i had before whose headlights worked about 90% of the time i turned them on which is scary (highbeams still worked but felt like a jerk whenever my lowbeams crapped out) and if you hit the hazards the indicators would stop working for about 20mins then come back

though keep in mind this was an 1987 accord coupe (first year without carbs) though with about 200k miles, a blown headgasket, and a radiator i had to fill with water after most trips...it was a stopgap car to last me till the mini arrived

Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Most cars will not last 100k without issues. A MINI is unlikely to.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:11 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
oh i forgot one thing if you are looking at the prefacelift cooper the midlands gearbox has been a pain for some (around 60k miles i think) not for others but definately something to consider, there is lots of info about that situation on this site, mine is fine so far but i don't have that many miles on the car yet i avg only 8k a year, easy way to fix that is to get one of getrag geared cars

Old 04-22-2007, 12:33 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UKCoopeR
all in all much better than the accord i had before whose headlights worked about 90% of the time i turned them on which is scary (highbeams still worked but felt like a jerk whenever my lowbeams crapped out) and if you hit the hazards the indicators would stop working for about 20mins then come back

though keep in mind this was an 1987 accord coupe (first year without carbs) though with about 200k miles, a blown headgasket, and a radiator i had to fill with water after most trips...it was a stopgap car to last me till the mini arrived
hehe this ALL sounds like the 1995 Grand Am that I'm driving now, except instead of a head gasket, it's the valve cover gasket... my headlights had to be rewired last May bc they kept crapping out on me... lol.. as w/ urs my highs would work but my lows were like 'screw u hippy' and i got honked and flashed at for 30 miles till i could get home and karate chop my steering column... lol...

and I can't fix the VCG bc the car has been wrecked a few times and the frame is bent and in order to get to the darn thing you have to take like 9000 pieces off the car and the very last bolt is fused to the frame...

was my final decision maker in ordering my MINI... lol.. thank god for small miracles...

Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Vics44
2nd Gear
4 year 50,000 miles warranty ought to tell you something about the quality!

2800 miles with NO problems so far!