1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some objective info

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Wass
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some objective info

Hi all, nice site you got here.
Here's the deal:
I am seriously considering a '07 Mini. I plan on making the move next summer, or when my Focus hits 200K, whichever comes first.
What I am looking for is a daily all-season driver that has a better fun factor than my venerable Focus.
I drive about 20K miles a year which is not a huge amount, but still higher than many people.
What I am wondering is how 'livable' these cars are over the long haul. I think I can get used to premium gas, and the small size doesn't bother me (I think). But I live in Michigan and our roads are crap. Capital C. Will a MINI get shaken apart quickly or is the chassis and suspension up to the task? Will the ride be very harsh and tiresome or not?
I don't plan on the turbo, the standard MC should be fine. High MPG is a priority.
Is 40MPG realistic? My Focus gets 30 combined and I'd like to do even better.
I'd also like to know about the consumables; brakes and tires. Do these wear any different than any other car? I am used to about 50K for tires and about 30K for brakes. I am not an aggressive driver.
Anybody out there that has a high-mileage 02-06, I'd like to hear your long term assessment.
Also if anybody has any feedback about my local dealer (Motor City Mini) this would also be helpful.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Previous to my MC, I had a Chevy Cavalier (similar to a Focus, same class, etc). I find the MINI to be much more solid than the Cavalier. Our roads in California also suck and the ride in my MINI is much less harsh than in the Cavalier.

I don't get 40 MPG, and I drive like a normal person - I don't go out and drive it like a race car. I get between 30-35 (that's an average of highway and city driving). I got between 28-32 with the Cavalier so it's a small improvement.

I'm not at the point where I've had to deal with brakes or tires, but it would imagine if you drive like a normal person, they will last the average as any other car.

For what it's worth the 06 MC was in the top 5 for reliability in it's class.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have put 11K on an 06 MCS convertible, so you can see how unqualified I am to answer your questions. That said, I think if you stick with the MC, and with 16" or smaller wheels without runflat tires, you should be fine. At this point, not many people can speak with any experience about the 07, but I think it is safe to say that all things being equal, they are probably going to ride less harshly.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
AggieMini
4th Gear
have an 06 MC convert. and got 35 mpg before break in and keep hearing it will get better...I haven't recalculated yet to see where I am on mpg after break in... pleased as can be about this car.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI's, for most of us, take the entire motoring experience to the next level. Is is livable? Oh yeah...highly!! Addictive might be a better term. If you're worried about harshness, get a Cooper w/ the standard suspension and 15" wheels. Even with the standard suspension (that's what I have) you're still riding a freakin' gokart and 15" wheels = light weight for more zip and more tire for cushion. Do not underestimate this combo...it is great for both practicality and fun!

The R56 Cooper will definitely get better gas milage than the current model. 40 mpg and more might be the upper limit for Coopers...I'd expect mid to high 30s pretty consistently.

Tires and brakes? No problem if you can manage to keep your foot out of it. I mean that...these cars are both fun and engaging, and many of us wound up shocked that we (I ) blew through that first set of tires quicker than anticipated. I've gotten much better about it, but I also have no regrets. My brakes have lasted well, and since MINIs come with a great warranty and maintenance program, if you drive sensibly you'll probably get your first pad replacement for free (I did) not to mention everything else from oil changes to wiper blades.

My '03 Cooper has 43K miles on it and I'm looking forward to getting another Cooper in '08. It's easy to be objective about most cars, but MINIs are really special. Motoring about every day in a MINI has been a wonderful thing to look forward to explore. There are nuances to these cars that I still find amazing and a delight. Given the value you get out of a Cooper, it's simply motoring at it's best!!!

I guess I don't sound too objective, do I, but compared to most of what's out there, MINIs are true gems!!

Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an MC with the CVT transmission. I get 32-35 MPG with about 65% city. My average speed on the OBC shows 37 MPH. So that will give you an idea that my driving is not all highway.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Wass
Neutral
Thanks for the replies guys.
I see we have the south and west covered. How about any owners in the rust belt? How is the car in cold weather and snow? Good heater? Anything prone to freezing? (like my Focus' door handles).

I suppose wishing for 40mpg is a bit optimistic, but sheesh a Ford Fusion gets 33, the newer Focus' get real close to 40, seems to me a car this small and light with a 1.6L motor oughta get 40.

Another question-
Does the engine ever heat up in stop-and-go traffic?

oh..and
I see that for 07 all manual trans are 6 speed. Anybody know where that extra gear is? Is it an overdrive to lower the revs at highway speeds? Or is it down lower and spread out? I also notice its a Gettrag box. Shweet.

thanks again for the replies.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Wass

Have you checked out michiganmini.org yet? You can get all the rust belt poop there!

I just turned over 60K on my '05. I drive 100 miles a day on 127 and 94 between Lansing and Albion. Nothing has fallen off my car yet...in fact it is the car that makes this daily commute tolerable.

I took off my OE runflats at 38K miles and they still had a good bit of tread left. I have not had any brake service yet, but I believe I am the exception there with this many miles.

It has been a great Winter car and I look forward to tackling this season with real snow tires instead of the all seasons!

Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Hey Wass, You should have no problems with a MINI. As long as you don't get the "Run-flats." Our club members run 18,17 and 18in wheels all year.
Driving a car that is very nimble, you learn to read the road and avoid the pot holes...

Michigan MINI Motorin' Club

Scott