1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Alaska

Old 10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCS-WA
Have you planned your route yet? We just drove from LA to Seattle along the coast and it was a great drive. PM me if you would like more info.
I'm not sure which route I'll take, it all depends on how much time I have to make the trip. I'll have to take time off work to do it, and as it sits, I dont have much I can use.

I did the drive from San Francisco to Portland and back, along the coast. If there's a place outside of Alaska I'd like to move to...it would be anywhere along that coast, especially the Oregon coast!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bzn by
Congrats on your find, great looking mini .

I was raised in Kodiak . It is a small Island, we left there in '79. My dad worked on the Coast Guard base. I would love to go back for a visit sometime. My family owned the old Rendevous restaurant that used to be out past middle bay, it burned down a long time ago, I don't know how long you have been there or if you ever heard of it.
My family was originally stationed here in '87. I do remember seeing signs for the old Rendezvous restaurant, just past the American River. There's a new Rendezvous restaurant, it's located close to the flats, just past "Speedy Krafts" gas station/convenience store (now called AC's - Alaska Commercial).

It's really neat to hear from others who have spent time in Alaska, or know of people out here. That's pretty cool!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ma78
If that's the case, please don't judge me by my ex-girlfriend's family.
Aw. I'm not one to judge another! I'm in a small town, and deal with enough of the "small town" attitude you see here from time to time. Annoys me enough sometimes that people seem to know exactly what I'm doing, when I'm doing it. Some people just need to find something better to do...like motoring on!

Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 AM
bzn by
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
My family was originally stationed here in '87. I do remember seeing signs for the old Rendezvous restaurant, just past the American River. There's a new Rendezvous restaurant, it's located close to the flats, just past "Speedy Krafts" gas station/convenience store (now called AC's - Alaska Commercial).

It's really neat to hear from others who have spent time in Alaska, or know of people out here. That's pretty cool!
Wow, that's cool, I didn't know they rebuilt or built a new "Rendezvous" .
What a small world.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bzn by
Wow, that's cool, I didn't know they rebuilt or built a new "Rendezvous" .
What a small world.

Oh yeah. That's probably THE best place to get a burger in Kodiak. Love going there for lunch, it's just a few mins away from the base. Heh, all this talk about that place is making me crave one of their burgers!

Toni and Val Flinders run the place. Happen to know them?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
CB surfer
1st Gear
Nice car AKI, except for the S and the sunroof, we almost have the same car! I love the lapis seats and carpet. I just got mine last Friday. Happy motoring.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
COOL S
1st Gear
Welcome Kodiak!!

Glad you found a Mini you like. I searched around a lot but was hesitant to commit to a trip out of AK so late in the summer. Found mine in Anchorage, amazing, eh? All red 2004 MCS, with black top + sunroof, heated seats, which are great, so if you can afford the conversion, I recommend doing it. Lot's of performance equipment came with mine, just lucked into it with 24.7K miles. I also bought a premium after market warrantee, 5 yr., 75K additional miles, all performance equipment covered, $2K. Otherwise BMW of Anchorage will not honor a factory warrantee, a real minus.
RichS