1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Week 38 (Sept 18, 2006) Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:42 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
haha nice webpage Rachael

Yes, my car wont be long! I understand though that the voyage notes thing says it will be stopping in Canada first. 10/5 now. Got pushed a day up. There are 243 mini's on board that sucker! Normally I look at lists and see 150 or so.

R.Scot, yes, I wonder who else is on my ship. If you find out it's the Manon, tell me so!

Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
psb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rachaelstarr
Yeah, Orange County, CA.

I ordered around the end of August.... production completed Sept. 21st... been waiting on the dock now for about 5 days.

Glad you got on a ship El Jefe... wont be long now since you are in NY
I just spoke to my MA and he has told me that i am on a boat headed to LA! He said the boat would be docking on the 16th of October, and ten days later i would be taking delivery. My vin showed up no - where on the ww site or any where else, I would imagine yours might be on the same boat???

Any way i am excited!!

Old 09-27-2006, 02:09 PM
rachaelstarr
3rd Gear
Hooray! That would be awesome if I was on that boat as well.. I always get scared that they will think I'm annoying...

thanks jef!

Old 09-28-2006, 06:04 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Glad to hear some Minis are on their voyage. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing on the seas and at the VDC.

The ASK MINI voice says Grover is already at the port and awaiting a vessel, which also sounds quick... considering it was just "complete" yesterday. Anyone know how far the plant is from the port, btw? Do they ship via train or truck? Not that it matters... i'm just curious. I'd like to do the factory tour someday. That sounds interesting.

Is everyone doing their relaxation techniques? Mine involves obsessively hitting the refresh button for my Owner's Lounge...

wait... that's not relaxing!

Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
yes, it is not relaxing waiting for this. silly people we are but we want Christmas to come sooner than Decemember I guess

Old 09-28-2006, 06:29 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
Glad to hear some Minis are on their voyage. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing on the seas and at the VDC.

The ASK MINI voice says Grover is already at the port and awaiting a vessel, which also sounds quick... considering it was just "complete" yesterday. Anyone know how far the plant is from the port, btw? Do they ship via train or truck? Not that it matters... i'm just curious. I'd like to do the factory tour someday. That sounds interesting.

Is everyone doing their relaxation techniques? Mine involves obsessively hitting the refresh button for my Owner's Lounge...

wait... that's not relaxing!
Well, now that Grover is as the port, have you begun tracking him on the shipping company's website? That gives you a second webpage to obsess over (just like I've been doing).

www.2wglobal.com

Click on "Cargo Tracking", then "Auto Cargo", then enter your VIN in the "Cargo ID box".

This is where you find out which boat you're manifested for, when the boat is due to arrive and depart, etcetera.

Then, once Grover is actually enroute, you get to track the ship itself using a completely different set of tools!

I swear, the MINI ordering/construction/delivery process is tailor-made for the obsessive-compulsive.

Scott

Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by riquiscott
Well, now that Grover is as the port, have you begun tracking him on the shipping company's website?

Then, once Grover is actually enroute, you get to track the ship itself using a completely different set of tools!
oh yes, i know about the WW site, but all I get so far is:

No tracking information is available for the Cargo ID you entered

once in route... what do you use?

this morning i stopped by the local Mini lot and saw a Hyper Blue Cooper with Black top... basically the same car I ordered except it is a Cooper, not an S and has a Piano Black dash. Man, that dash is sweet... especially with the chrome! (see the Ted Nougat thread if you haven't).

I'm beginning to wonder if the HB dash was a good idea. Oh well, too late now! I've also been feeling guilty about ordering the less efficient gas user of the two cars, but I've been reading the S gas thread and thinking that if I keep my shifting in check, I can probably do well. And at least it's not an SUV.

don't mind me... these are just the neurotic ruminations of an anxious owner. I know once Grover lands I will be happy!

Old 09-28-2006, 07:23 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
I am also on the MAERSK WIND, docking in S.C. on the 4th of October. Not sure how many days after that is normal lead time to dealer. I just know it will be too long

Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 AM
namvet66
4th Gear
aiiee,

I was told to figure 20 days after ship gets underway, 10 day trip to SC from Southhampton.

10 Days before getting to dealer from SC.

Call your MA, they should be able to give you the information you need.

If arrival at SC is on 10/4, I figure on taking ownership of my Mini from dealer approx. 10/16/06

Old 09-28-2006, 08:30 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by namvet66
aiiee,

I was told to figure 20 days after ship gets underway, 10 day trip to SC from Southhampton.

10 Days before getting to dealer from SC.

Call your MA, they should be able to give you the information you need.

If arrival at SC is on 10/4, I figure on taking ownership of my Mini from dealer approx. 10/16/06
thanks. I knew it would be too long

Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
rachaelstarr
3rd Gear
On my way! Just talked to my dealer and he says that I'm on a ship that's due into Port Hueneme, CA on Oct. 16th... he said he didn't know the name of the ship... anyone have it? I know the maersk wind is due in on Oct. 17th, but my VIN doesn't show up on the list, so I don't think it's on that one... looks like we are on the same ship psb! wonder if our mini's are playing nice...

Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM
rachaelstarr
3rd Gear
Okay, so after some digging, I think my mini is on the " Equuleus Leader" ... an NYK ship... due into Port Heuneme Oct. 16th!

Old 09-28-2006, 06:14 PM
tc4653
4th Gear
Originally Posted by aiiee
I am also on the MAERSK WIND, docking in S.C. on the 4th of October. Not sure how many days after that is normal lead time to dealer. I just know it will be too long
I was given "5 days for QC check, 2 days for transport."
Dude, I'm pumped! I should be close to two weeks for delivery!
TC

Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
my owner's lounge updated to "awaiting transport"!

small steps. hopefully i'll be able to track online.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:40 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
My thingie is on a boat in the middle of the atlantic today! I wish it would go faster! I dont want to have to detail it in the cold :(

Old 09-29-2006, 08:50 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
my owner's lounge updated to "awaiting transport"!

small steps. hopefully i'll be able to track online.
Note that by the time the OL says "Awaiting Transport" your car is likely already loaded onto the boat and a third of theway across the Atlantic.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
i'm booked!

hmmm... i replied earlier, but it didn't show up!

okay... so I checked the WW site this morning and I'm booked for passage on the Liberty!! YES! Right now it just says "received at terminal" and "booked" as of 9/28/06. Hopefully it will set sail in a few days.

el jefe... i'm guessing you don't have a garage for detailing? I don't. I don't even own a house... mostly have lived in apartments in NYC and California (I don't know how anyone in NYC details their cars??). Right now I'm in Tennessee, so it will be warm for a little while longer, but I may be moving back to California... the Bay Area, where the weather is a bit nicer year round.

I've been reading lots of the detailing threads because I don't know anything about detailing... have never done more than washed my car in a DIY-type wash bay. Can't remember the last time I ever waxed a car. The detailing posts scare me a bit... there's so much to do, so much money to spend, etc. And, i've seen some posts from people trying to follow the steps and still getting swirls.

Yesterday I saw a couple of dark SUVs on the road and they were COVERED with swirls. Would have made OctaneGuy faint!

Hope others Minis are sailing along. A few more weeks and we'll be seeing photos!

Old 09-29-2006, 09:10 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
Re detailing; here's a hint that will save youTONS of money: Stay away from Griot's, no matter what! There are plenty of waxes and polishes that do as good or better than Griot's and they're much cheaper as well. There's a decent detailing forum here. autopia.org is much better. Use two buckets or a 2 well bucket, one has rinse water, one has shampoo. Use lambswool or chenille mitt to wash. Only use enough force to remove dirt. Keep everything lubricated. Use waffle-weave microfiber to dry, pat the car, do not wipe to dry. hmm, that should get you started. Einzett Perls Car wash is nice because it has shiny stuff ( technical term ) in it that leaves your car looking waxed . Eliminates the quick detail spray step. When you want more look into claying and polishing and types of waxes that are effective and easy, there's millions of opinions on which is best. You'll have to decide for yourself.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aiiee
Re detailing; here's a hint that will save youTONS of money: Stay away from Griot's, no matter what! There are plenty of waxes and polishes that do as good or better than Griot's and they're much cheaper as well. There's a decent detailing forum here. autopia.org is much better. Use two buckets or a 2 well bucket, one has rinse water, one has shampoo. Use lambswool or chenille mitt to wash. Only use enough force to remove dirt. Keep everything lubricated. Use waffle-weave microfiber to dry, pat the car, do not wipe to dry. hmm, that should get you started. Einzett Perls Car wash is nice because it has shiny stuff ( technical term ) in it that leaves your car looking waxed . Eliminates the quick detail spray step. When you want more look into claying and polishing and types of waxes that are effective and easy, there's millions of opinions on which is best. You'll have to decide for yourself.
thanks aiiee... i've seen the 2-bucket video at showcar... so I will definitely do that... with the lambswool/chenille mitt. I'm also thinking i will stay away from Griots and maybe look at Zaino (sp?). I'll check out Einzett and autotopia. I'm also going to try claybar at some point.

If I head back to Northern Cali... I may try to arrange a meeting or attend one of OctaneGuy's forums on the way (i know he's in LA). I imagine my head would be swimming afterward.

slightly more on topic... I'm thinking of telling my dealer not to wash or detail my car when it arrives. As much as I'd like to pick up the car looking spiffy... i've actually seen brand new cars on their showroom with swirls. Whether they listen to me or not, I don't know... I realize this means I will need to detail it right away.

what are other people going to do? dare I ask the controversial question about whether people are getting the clearbra protection?

Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
griots is a money pit that it is true.

however, there is none better for in between washes on any car for any finish or for getting off road gunk than Speedshine. ALso, their carnauba paste is awesome and it smells wonderful. Meguiars NXT stuff is excellent and you can find for a discount.

All of griot's products work perfectly. I dont have to think about anything. I dont use their clear plastic cleaner as PLEXUS is best, windows, eh, anything works, but for everwhere else I use their stuff. If you buy from them in bulk it's not that bad. you get 15% coupons sometimes, and you can chew them down on shipping, then bulk with them isnt that bad.

their car soap is overpriced. MEguiars gold class in big jugs is awesome.

showcargarage.com will show you how to wash a car. real 100% lambswool is imperitive to cost savings (never seems to wear out) and keeps the paint and wax mar free.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
clearbra here grover. I have used it on my last three cars and love it. Shop around, you can save $100s if one of the installers is hungry

Old 09-29-2006, 09:29 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
la_jefe: no argument here re Griot's. I used their products for years, but I do know that they are expensive. I love Speedshine but I love FinishKare's 465 Ultra Slick Poly Wipe tons more. So yeah, Griot's is great one stop shopping place but you pay for the convenience. But yeah, their stuff smells WONDERFUL

Old 09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
running4amini
1st Gear
I am so excited my car has been sailing since the 24th on the Frisia (K-Line) with Yo's Dad.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
revmini
2nd Gear
I'm booked on the Liberty!!!!!!!

It looks like landing in the US will be on the 14th in SC. From there then it has to come to St.Paul, MN.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Originally Posted by revmini
I'm booked on the Liberty!!!!!!!

It looks like landing in the US will be on the 14th in SC. From there then it has to come to St.Paul, MN.
cool... so there are at least two Hyper Blues on the Liberty...

how did you find out the 14th? i know there's a shipping schedule someplace, but I can't remember where. the 14th would be good timing!

Quick Reply: Production Week 38 (Sept 18, 2006) Support Group