1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Hank Palmer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Flat Tires

I'm new and am considering buying a 2006 MCS, which, as everyone knows, has run flat tires. The reports I hear are not good:
  • Run flat tires create a harder, more uncomfortable ride, and compromise the handling.
  • They are difficult and expensive (impossible?) to repair.
  • They have a limited range in the flat condition.
  • They are expensive to replace. I haven't heard about wear compared to conventional tires.
  • They leak.
In addition, I'm concerned about what happens if a flat occurs in the middle of a long stretch or road with no tire service shops nearby (which has happened to me) and no spare tire. Also, what happens if the wheel becomes damaged, eg rock on the road, heavy rain, night (which happened to me) with no spare tire.

Sounds like the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. Are these reports true? Can run flats be replaced with convantional tires? Where would one put a spare?

Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They leak? Never heard that one.

I put 39000 on my runflats without a single problem. Replaced them with conventional tires and for long trips I put a spare in a bag behind my seat. I've had 3 flats in 30 years of driving. I think the odds are on my side. Don't worry so much!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets take this one at a time

Run flat tires create a harder, more uncomfortable ride, and compromise the handling.

Yes, they are harsher riding (they have to be to retain their rigidity). As to compromise in handling, not necessarily true. While the first gen tires were not as good as the non-RFs, Bridgestone 050s rater very highly per tirerack. So things are changing.
They are difficult and expensive (impossible?) to repair.

There are two different issues here. FIrst, RFs require a different tire mounting machine. Thats really not an issue since Corvettes, most BMWs, in fact many different cars use RFs now and they more will do so in the fture. Second, yes, you can repair them the same as non-RFs. See http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...q_faq_puncture

They have a limited range in the flat condition.

True, something like 80 miles. However, that is no different than carrying goop. Its a moot point.

They are expensive to replace.

The better one cost maybe twice that of regular tires

They leak.

Never hear that before

In addition, I'm concerned about what happens if a flat occurs in the middle of a long stretch or road with no tire service shops nearby (which has happened to me) and no spare tire.

good question

Also, what happens if the wheel becomes damaged, eg rock on the road, heavy rain, night (which happened to me) with no spare tire.

good question

Can run flats be replaced with convantional tires?

Yes
Where would one put a spare?

Most ppl tend not to bother. Just use the goop. However, if your out in the desert, carry a real spare, toss it in the back or the back seat.

Many people do not like them because it is cheaper to replace them with regular tires and lots of MINI owners want the "ultimate" in traction. On the other side, read these threads, you may be very glad one day you did get RFs because no amount of goop is going to save you in a blowout.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=death+valley

http://www.carnutgarage.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1323

Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
AMW
2nd Gear
I think it really depends on where you're driving and how often you think you'll get flats.

I just got my Mini 2.5 weeks ago. Three days after picking it up from the dealer, I got a flat tire...ran over a piece of metal with construction sites all around my workplace.

I am very glad I had run flat tires at the time. I was driving a co-worker to a lunch spot. I didn't have to pull over, change to a spare, etc. I just kept driving, parked, had lunch, drove back to work. Finished the work day, drove to the gym, worked out, then drove home. Next morning, I dropped my car at the dealership as soon as they opened, and then went to work. Done.

I live in Boston, where there are tons of potholes, uneven roads, debris in the roads, etc. I knew, getting that car, that I would have many opportunities for flat tires in the car's lifetime. I have a friend in Boston that owns a MC, and she's had 3 flats in just over a year of ownership. Two destroyed the tires, the third one got patched.

So, I got the $499 5-year tire and wheel warranty. Run Flat tires cannot leagally be patched up. You have to get a whole new tire if the tire is punctured. New tire and labor ran me about $260. Thus, one more flat and I'll essentially break even on the warranty payment, which also covers rims and wheels. I'm positive that I'll get another flat or two in the next five years.

As for ride...Well, I'm sure the ride is a bit stiffer, but the MINIs have a stiff ride as it is. I suggest that you go to a dealership and test out the MCS on run flats and the MC on conventionals and see which ride feels more comfy for you.

Range on the tires is the usual for a spare donut: 50 miles at 50 MPH. Of course, you realize that they probably spec. these things at 80+ MPH for 500 miles, and then tell you it's guaranteed for a lot less milage at a lower speed.

To me, I like the ease of not having to stop and change tires if I get a flat. But that's not so important for everybody.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Let me address the "they leak" issue.

I have an '06 MCS w/ the Dunlop SP9000 summer performance run flats with about 3500 miles on them. I've had to add air to them 3 times. Granted this is more frequent than my previous car, but these are much lower profile (and higher pressure) tires than I've had before and i drive this car much harder than my previous one.

The flat sensor will let you know if one of your tires are low. It comes in handy.