1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To chrono or not to chrono....

Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
jmmas
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To chrono or not to chrono....

... that is the question.

I got the chrono pkg for my MINI thats still awaiting a production date, and Ive been going back and forth debating if it's worth it to get the chrono pkg or get something like the cold weather(I live in New England) or convenience pkg. I dont want to get both or all 3...

Have any of you worked with both the chrono pkg and w/o it? What were your thoughts? And how are the other two pkg's mentioned above? I like the convenience pkg, mainly because im pretty lazy and I like having my wipers/lights go on for me when needed ... But does it really work as designed?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 AM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I you are up north then the cold-weather is a must. The Chrono pack is nice - i think so anyway, but not a must. I like the fact that you can see the speedo and the tach in the same place. But, it's all personal pref.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:43 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Even though it's 70 something right now, I just drove with the windows down, sunroof open, and heated seats on! Though I have not used the heated seats much yet, I can already see it's going to be a must in winter! Deffinitly get the Cold Pack.

-Cody

Old 06-07-2006, 07:44 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
My wife's '05 doesn't have the chrono pkg - after living with the standard gauges, I ordered the chrono pkg for mine. My biggest problem with the standard gauges is the amber display for the electronics. In the bright sunlight with my sunglasses on, the amber display of the electronic speed display totally washes out. I find it very inconvenient having to look at the center of the dash for my speed. I personally prefer having a tach and speedometer in front of me instead of just the tach. Others around here pretty much prefer the look of the large center mounted speedometer so it is entirely up to your taste.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:47 AM
jwasbury
1st Gear
Chrono was a must have for my wife and I...we found the center speedo, while stylish and unique, was ergonomically wrong for our tastes. plus, I like that the chrono gets you some additional guages. before I "discovered" the chrono, I was looking at getting the aux. guages anyhow (which were $200). For an extra $100, I got the extra gauges, plus the speedo is where I expect it to be.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:54 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
its not a must but appears to be more of a matter of taste.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
It was a "must have" for me. I like knowing oil temp and pressure and coolant temp numerically.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 AM
findude
4th Gear
Definitely get the cold weather pack.

We did not get the chrono pack, but wish we had. The speedometer belongs in front of you.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:14 AM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
I find myself constantly glancing into the dark empty space in the middle of the dashboard in any other car I drive...

Cold weather Pkg should be MANDITORY! ONLY $300?!?!! You HAVE to...
I think the center mounted speedo is the best thing about the MINI...
Peripheral vision is better to the sides, not the top and bottom, so the center speedo is quick to look at while still seeing everything in front of you, but when you need to look down into the steering wheel, you can have objects disappear in your peripheral vision... IMO...

ANYWAY, any REAL driver only needs a TACH!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 AM
mr_edly
3rd Gear
The standard gauges are non-linear.
Is there much value in a gauge that's little more than an idiot light?

The Chrono pack includes linear gauges (better).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com...93&postcount=2
---> Note that the temp gauge is NOT linear; as the engine nears it's operating temp the needle will approach half scale then remain in that position throughout nearly a 50 degree band of temperature. Once the engine temp rises above a normal upper limit, the needle will begin to deflect higher, and rather quickly. The gauge itself is not a 'true' temp indicator, it's more of a low/normal/high three-level setup.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ear+idiot+crap

Old 06-07-2006, 08:29 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
I'm sorry but the cold weather package is lost on me

Old 06-07-2006, 10:29 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Cold weather for sure, I have. Chrono for sure, especially if you are tall, I have. Convenience, I have, I like it more and more, but originally didn't think I'd need...

Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
cold weather for sure, personally don't like the chrono look at all. speedo in the center looks great and the tacho does have a digital one anyway...

Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
I personally do not like the chrono pkg... It makes the dash and steering wheel look too busy... not for me. I like the mini classic look with the speedo in the middle...
I should have got the heated seats... but did not.. Don't really need them here in NC... but it would be nice to have

Old 06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Cold package is a must. I live in AL & we only have a few cold months but it is great to get into a cold car & have your buns warm in just a few seconds. I have a convertible & it also lengthens the top-down season considerably

I avoided the chrono package only because I wanted the big center speedo. To me that was my #1 favorite thing about the interior look of the Mini. Frankly how hard is it to look slightly right to see your speed plus you can have a digital speedo right in front of you if you wish.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:53 PM
ybavg
3rd Gear
The cold weather package is a must!!!

I didn't get the chrono package b/c I think it looks totally
classic without it, but it is all personal preference.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:27 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
As much as I wanted an oil temp gauge I just couldn't live with the Chrono pack; it's fugly IMHO.

If you choose the OBC option, you can have a digital readout of the speed right before your eyes.

Cold weather option is desirable if you're going to drive it all year round.

With the convenience package, the rain-sensing wipers operate automatically until the ignition is switched off. The next time you use the car you have to move the stalk back to the zero position and then forward again.....if you forget to do this they won't work automatically. You can have the daylight-running light option programmed (without the convenience package).

Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
The cold package REALLY is a MUST!!!!

The Chrono package is REALLY useless for the average driver........... and it is a waste of $300 or so... (I didnt look @ mine for the 5 months I had the MINI)

The convenience package ROCKS if you are lazy like me and like automatic stuff

Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Cold Weather package is a MUST! Nothing nicer than a warm butt on a cold day.

The chrono is a matter of taste and only YOU can decide that. But since everyone else is throwing in their thoughts on this, here's mine. I personally like the BIG speedo in the middle. It just has the classic MINI look. I use the digital speed readout on the tach to check my speed when needed. No other car out their that I can think of has a speedo like the MINI. It's unique.

A few weeks ago someone had a post of a MINI from Australia that had a LARGE tach in the middle with what looked like all the warning functions, such as the fuel readout, etc. And the speedo was the size of the tach on the steering wheel. Kinda neat, but I still like the big speedo in the middle.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
hudmg0kw
3rd Gear
The chrono package was probably the biggest option I struggled with. As stated previously, it's a matter of personal preference.
Personally, having to look toward the the center of the dash to see my speed was a real negative. It just wasn't what my cumulative driving experience had engrained in my head. On the other side of the argument, it is a big piece of what make a Mini, a Mini. It should be noted that, when making the decision, I did not realize the tach displayed a digital MPH.
I thought having the additional linear gauges would be nice but found out I seldom look at them (it will probably be different when something doesn't "feel right."
The deciding factor was probably, if I didn't get the chrono package, it would be too easy for my wife and teenager to look at the center console and see I was exceeding the posted speed limit.
I'm sure this didn't clarify anything. Good luck. You will love your Mini regardless of the options.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Pep'r
1st Gear
JMMAS!!!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING

The cold weather package is the ONLY way to go!!! I understand your desire for the convenience package (you lazy bum ) but I think anybody in the NE would get much more use from the cold weather package... unless you have enough natural padding to keep you warm. BUT you also have to consider your passenger... you'll get a lot more action when your passenger feels pampered by the heated seats

I personally do not like the Chrono package, it takes away from the traditional look and IMHO is not necessary. If you want gauges, you can always add useful gauges later.... more mods

Old 06-08-2006, 06:14 AM
jmmas
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the input. I ended up cancelling the chrono and getting the cold weather pkg. I big determining factor was the look of the speedo in the middle. I decided I wanted to keep it there and didn't need the novelty items from the chrono pack.

So, if I dont get the OBC, I wont get the digital read out on the tach for my speed? I suppose thats not a huge deal and could probably live with it.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Purple Hazel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
With the convenience package, the rain-sensing wipers operate automatically until the ignition is switched off. The next time you use the car you have to move the stalk back to the zero position and then forward again.....if you forget to do this they won't work automatically. You can have the daylight-running light option programmed (without the convenience package).
The wipers remaining the off position after the car is turned off is a dealer programmable option. The default is for the wipers to remain off. Regarding the Chrono, I got it and I like it I didn't want my passengers telling me I was driving too fast; it's harder for them to see the speedo when it's in front of me

Old 06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Purple Hazel
2nd Gear
Also the Chrono pack includes the OBC if that makes a difference to you.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Bullydog
2nd Gear
Chrono Pkg

I think having the speedometer in front of me was a good choice. I can glance down and see that I am usually going faster than the speed limit. (I adjust my driving constantly to try to stay within the speed limit) Originally I did not want the Chrono Pkg but have to say that I am glad I got it. On the other hand, the center speedo is the classic look, while the chrono pkg doesnt look bad either. (espically at night) good luck on your decision.

Bullydog

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To chrono or not to chrono....