1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mini questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:38 PM
cushin14
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motor on
I'm in the same boat, and was giving this whole clutch speed thing some thought, it sounds almost like a desgin issue but its not wide spread enough to have its own TSB yet, so now I'm thinking it could be a part assembly thing because it has been there for a long time and it has to do with how the parts are settling in when moved (this theory may also explain why a replacement doesn't always fix the issue). I'd like to see the removed parts to see if and where any physical damaged occured to the clutch and make sure no other parts were harmed. Since this sounds like a multi day job I'm going to contact my original dealer and have them cover a dozen other things (oil change, LSD fluid, airbag needs connections replaced, etc.) in addition to this.
Good Thought If I take mine in after hearing the other results I am going to insist to see the replaced part/s...Have not serviced the MINI yet....only 4K miles but I have been in that "restricted" "employees only area" in many other service depts.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Viv
1st Gear
i called the service advisor to check on Viv yesterday--they replaced the flywheel (i asked if they were sure it was the flywheel and not the throw out bearing--he insists its the flywheel), fixed the rattling window, secured the molding around the door pull on the passenger side--i told him about the hesitation upon inserting the key and turning it. his response is, 'yea, we have had a lot people complain about this--not sure what it is, but we will check it out for you.' if they arent sure what it is, how are they going to fix it?

my weight trainer is also a mechanic--when i explained to him what was going on, he says to me, 'its not the flywheel; its the throw out bearing. my porsche was doing the same thing-replaced the flywheel--was still doing it. replaced the throw out bearing and it has stopped.'

should i ask to see the replaced part when i go in? what should i be looking for?

Old 04-15-2006, 08:44 AM
BlindLemonLars
2nd Gear
Old 04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Viv
1st Gear
:(

it has been almost a week since we dropped Vivien off at the dealership for the knocking noise--i called today to check on her and the advisor says, "well, we are trying to get the transmission back together--we are looking at another half day to get it finished. Maybe tomorrow."

EGADS!!! 'trying to get the transmission back together'?????? any bets that it was the transmission and they had to get a new one???

Old 04-18-2006, 01:19 PM
cushin14
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Viv
it has been almost a week since we dropped Vivien off at the dealership for the knocking noise--i called today to check on her and the advisor says, "well, we are trying to get the transmission back together--we are looking at another half day to get it finished. Maybe tomorrow."

EGADS!!! 'trying to get the transmission back together'?????? any bets that it was the transmission and they had to get a new one???
Ouch!!....Thankfully you won't have to pay for it. Along with the noise you were describing, now the transition from 1st to 2nd gear is making a clanking noise in my '06 MCS.

I am anxiously awaiting your outcome, hopefully all will be well, and I am going to take mine in and hopefully have some insight as to what problems the '06's are having before I do.

ANYBODY!!! Where do I find the TSB's that are out on the '06 MCS's

Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 PM
cushin14
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
MANY THANKS MATT

Old 04-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
But it's not all of them...

Originally Posted by cushin14
MANY THANKS MATT
This list is just the latest. To get access to all, you have to go through the "pay to play" home page....

Matt

Old 04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
mininini
2nd Gear
Great information. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Viv
1st Gear
my service advisor called me back--Viv is ready to be picked up!! i was at the gym when he called so i am about to call him back and find out exactly what was done to Viv. I will keep you posted.

I have heard that people still hear the knocking even after the flywheel has been replaced--if i hear it, do you think i oughta cause a stink about it? i really don't want to have another car that is in the shop all of the time. I told my husband that if she has to go in for the same repair more than 2 times, i am going to demand another car--bitchy, but still---i love Viv, but i can't go through another 'troublesome' car.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:22 PM
cushin14
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Viv
I have heard that people still hear the knocking even after the flywheel has been replaced--if i hear it, do you think i oughta cause a stink about it?
I would. I mean if it has to go in for the same repair more than twice there is obviously a problem. I have heard people saying this is "common" and/or "normal for this type flywheel. If it was that common or that normal then BMW would not go through the expense of replacing all of these I have heard about them replacing in the '06's. That said: They know there is a problem.

Further, From what I have read on the TSB info about this (Matt posted a link in this thread for TSB's) they only replace it "On a customer complaint basis only" So if you don't complain they won't replace it.....and they claim it is due to "Excessive engine vibration transferred to the transmission due to inadequate dampening capabilities of the clutch assembly" So they know there is a problem but won't make it a mandatory recall and only replace the "clutch plate disc" with a new & improved part at the customers request? Let's say it was just a request & not a real problem...do you really think BMW will line cars up in the service dept's. & spend time and money replacing/working on the same repeated requests if they thought it was "normal" for your particular car? If it doesn't bother you bad enough before the warranty expires and you don't "complain" or "request" then that is just one more they don't have to try & resolve the issue with.....MY 2 CENTS

Read the TSB here: http://www.alldata.com/tsb/BMW/11281...30105/105.html

Originally Posted by Viv
i really don't want to have another car that is in the shop all of the time. I told my husband that if she has to go in for the same repair more than 2 times, i am going to demand another car--bitchy, but still---i love Viv, but i can't go through another 'troublesome' car.
Hopefully it will not go that far for you, I like my MCS & I want to keep it. I just want them to stand behind their product & fix ANYTHING that is not right.

Keep us posted on what all repairs they made at the dealer!

Joe

Old 04-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Hmmmm.

the TSB you referenced is for the Cooper 5 speed, not the S 6 speed. And it says replace the clutch disk, not the flywheel!

So the plot thickens.....

Matt

Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Viv
1st Gear
results

ok--this is what the repair ticket has on it:

cust. complaint-knocking noise while at idle, clutch engaged noise is gone:

Cause: F
11220000 Removing and Installing or replacing flywheel
1 11-11-1-492-244 shaft seal
8 11-22-7-560-579 collar screw
1 21-20-7-548-804 flywheel
cust states knocking noise, performed diagnosis and found dual mass flywheel L, sim 21 01 05 R&I six speed transmission R&I clutch disc and pressure plate, replaced dual mass flywheel.

customer states rough idle felt at cold start up , feels like engine wants to stall.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Viv
1st Gear
results

ok--this is what the repair ticket has on it:

cust. complaint-knocking noise while at idle, clutch engaged noise is gone:

Cause: F
11220000 Removing and Installing or replacing flywheel
1 11-11-1-492-244 shaft seal
8 11-22-7-560-579 collar screw
1 21-20-7-548-804 flywheel
cust states knocking noise, performed diagnosis and found dual mass flywheel L, sim 21 01 05 R&I six speed transmission R&I clutch disc and pressure plate, replaced dual mass flywheel.

customer states rough idle felt at cold start up , feels like engine wants to stall.

scanned for faults none present

there you have it---we will see---i drove her to work this morning with no problems other than it cost me $40 to fill her up

Old 04-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Viv
1st Gear
sorry for the duplication--i walked away for a second and must have hit the enter button before i was through.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Thanks for the info...

And no problem with the dup!

But $40 for a tank. Ouch. My record is over $60, but that was race gas......

IT could be worse. My wife and I drove our MDX to Seattle. The tanks for that were over $50 each and every fill up!

Matt

Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Viv
1st Gear
And no problem with the dup!

But $40 for a tank. Ouch. My record is over $60, but that was race gas......

IT could be worse. My wife and I drove our MDX to Seattle. The tanks for that were over $50 each and every fill up!

Matt
yea--gas is at $2.99 a gallon for supreme down here in Hell (san antonio reached the century mark on tuesday )

my brothers live up in colorado--one in south denver, the other in Longmont-parents are moving back from germany and closed on a house last thursday up in Estes Park; since it is easter, we decide to go up and check out what a $500k house in Estes Park looks like, spend some time with the entire family--it was 100 in san antonio last thursday and we took the heat with us--denver and estes experienced record highs on thursday and friday (both days hit 90), we leave on sunday, 'rents don't leave until yesterday to go back to heidelberg to finish up loose ends before the big move in july---mom sends me an email this morning to let me know they made it home and says, "went back up to estes on monday and tuesday. Tuesday high was 22 degrees and snowing, but the sun was out! wish you were moving up here with us"

90 degrees on thursday and friday and 22 degrees and snowing by tuesday--in mid april--what a life!!

i have to thank my dad for me getting viv--he has an 05 mcs, red with white bonnet stripes and bugged me about test driving one--the dad knew that once i drove it, i would be hooked--and i am.

they are shipping me "Coop Adew" next week--hope he has fun on the boat coming to the US--he will arrive around May 20th--he ain't gonna like it here though--no autobahns or autostratas to speed on, but hopefully, the windy, twisty roads up to Estes will be fun for him. When he gets to Texas, he is going to think the dad shipped him to Hell--poor thing.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to dealer. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200....

And good luck, keep us all posted.

Matt
Listen to the good doctor, I've worked with him Many-a-Time.. and he knows what he speaks.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Revival

I complained about the same problem to my SA and they took care of it within one day. When I read the report, it says:

D Rattle until clutch is depressed
Cause:
98 MISC Repair
5059 WMIN
6 21-20-7-520-49 Torx Bolt
8 11-22-7-560-579 Collar Screw
1 21-20-7-551-383 RMFD Clutch
1 21-20-7-548-804 Flywheel
3 83-22-0-403-247 Gearbox Oil

32115 verified rattle and found it coming from the bell housing area as described in SIM 21-01-05. R&I trans and inspected clutch disc while replacing dual mass flywheel with an updated part. Found clutch disc had excessive play on trans splined input shaft. Replaced flywheel, clutch disc, drive plate and release bearing as per SIM 21-01-05, topped off trans fluid level (approx 2 liters) & checked for leaks with none present.

Does anyone know what "SIM 21-01-05" says eaxactly? Also, if I had to pay for this out-of-pocket, what would it have cost me? Thankfully, it was all covered under warranty!