1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 (I think) Mini Meet - East meets West

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 (I think) Mini Meet - East meets West

Hello my name is Dale I have a 1960 Morris Mini Minor that I have owned since 13 yrs old. Over 30 yrs. I will share with you one of many exciting stories that me and my mini have shared.

Where to start. I had just painted and completely restored my mini and took off the second day after the engine rebuild. I got 30 miles and a bolt that had not been tightened, in all the excitement of getting it ready in a hurry, came off the generator and went through the radiator. Had to tow it home throw in a new radiator and off again! The next event happened since I was going to add the sliding windows to the doors after I got there. I had planned on buying the channels when I got there. Big mistake. It was so cold I had to wear a blanket around my neck. I lost my generator the first night, so night driving was now out of the question. A nice man going to the meet himself stopped to try and help but to no avail. I had a car cover with me so at night I would put the cover on and sleep in the car. (I was on a tight budget). The police stopped one morning along the road where I had my car covered woke me up and told me to get on my way. Driving through the mountains were a challenge. Air in the brakes were starting to take its toll and I had to use the emergency most of the way. Ok, I got there, the first night was eventful as well. I went out to test a new alternator that someone donated to my sorry cause. It was dark, and the car was starting to overheat, windows still out I still had a blanket wrapped around my neck. I got out of the car, lifted the bonnet and leaned over the engine. Sheesh if the fan didnt catch the blanket and start wrapping up around it, drawing me into the engine. With both arms I wrapped them around the blanket and pulled as hard as I could in panic. Needless to say it drew the fan backward and snapped the fan belt. If it wasn't overheating before it was now. Crippled I nudged it back to the hotel lot where all the cars were. Went to the campground where I was staying after letting it cool down, covered the car and pitched my tent about 40 yards from the car. When I woke up the next morning I pulled the cover off to find that someone had taken a baseball bat to my windshield. What a mess! A nice gentleman from the Denver area just happened to have a new windscreen in his garage. I had to have my dad wire me money to pay for it. Ok, new windscreen, new alternator, got my channels for my windows, and all was well.. so I thought. Several people tried everything in the book to help me bleed my brakes. This was the day we all rallied up the tallest mountain that is drivable in the US. Not a place to take a mini with no brakes. But dummy me did it anyways. The guy that road with me to the top did not come down with me. At one of the switchbacks at the top, full of snow, Dale stuffs the front end of his mini, to the windscreen, in a snow bank. You should have seen the guy next to me I thought his feet were going through the floorboards. I guess this is why he didn't go back down with me
Someone was nice enough to let me go behind him just in case I needed a bumperstop The sides of the mountain were 13,000 ft straight down. The Billy goats would fly past us and down the sides like nobodies business. You could only fit one car at a time on the road, it was so narrow. About 2 miles down we ran into a stag ram (yes a real big overgrown goat!) You need to understand my car was freshly painted fire engine red, just what a charging animal needed to see coming at him. I managed to stop a few feet in front of him and he walked up between me and the mountain.We were getting along ok until he put his big ol head down and acted like he didn't want to share his mountain anymore. I left in a hurry. Needless to say I made it down the mountain and have many more stories to come.. Hope you enjoyed this story.. It is nice to be here.. Looking forward to getting my first magazine.
More to come!

Blessings,
Dale