1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mini Almost Drowned

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unfortunately, that's one just an urban legend

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

Old 09-07-2005, 12:33 AM
BRG MINI
Hi Everyone,

Well, I got the check from the insurance company on Friday 9/2. It is for $6891. With my $1,000 that brings the total to nearly $8000!

The incident happened on 8/20. I had the car towed on 8/21 (a Sunday). The didn't look at it until Wednesday and called me Thursday--which is when I called the insurance company. The adjuster didn't go see it until the next Tuesday, which was 8/30. That was the day I authorized the replacement of the engine.

So yesterday (9/6) very late in the day I called and oh so gently asked, "Do you have any idea yet when my car might be finished?" He said that the engine had arrived that day. He said he hoped he would be done with it by Saturday or maybe Monday or Tuesday. I kind of whispered..."Okay. By the way, I have the check form the insurance company, so I'm all set!!"

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted it back by Friday because I'm going away for the weekend and wanted to drive it to one of the islands all by myself with the sunroof open and my CD's playing. Oh well......

I WANT MY CAR BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really sick of my old battleaxe, which, by the way, doesn't have a good air conditioner any more! It's also full of mud and stuff like that and paddles and life jackets and ropes and sponges and various junk for the man's kayaks and canoe. Not only that, my daughter thinks it's her car now and changed all the radio staions and all the tapes in there are hers and there's no CD player and she threw out my seat thing that has the wooden ***** on it that make it cooler to drive.

Also, now I have to go with two much older ladies, one of whom is my mother-in-law, and we'll have to go in her car because I'll have to leave mine here for the family. OH well, I'll just insist on driving her car. Like I always do. Some people think I'm a CONTROL FREAK!!!!!!!!!!

[thanks for listening]

Old 09-07-2005, 02:17 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yay light at the end of the tunnel

--Hurray! Hope they get your car ready in time for your road trip. I'm glad this ordeal is nearly over for you. I still think Mini R&D need to look at this problem though. Hey you have to break in a whole new engine again. Great excuse to do some extra motoring. Have fun BRGMINI!

--pyratio

Old 09-07-2005, 10:03 AM
classpro
2nd Gear
Yikes - $8,000 for a new engine! That is expensive. I'm hoping your insurance company won't bump up your rates. That's their usual response to a claim.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:27 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lcubed
unfortunately, that's one just an urban legend

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp
oh thank god
i was worried that their was people like that out in the open

Old 09-07-2005, 07:53 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Snorkel EXHAUSTS? I gotta see that one! Any pics??

Old 09-07-2005, 08:51 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Great news, BRG MINI!!! Keep us posted on the whole retrieval adventure!

Clover

Old 09-08-2005, 07:06 AM
BRG MINI
So what are the rules on breaking in an engine--don't go over a certain MPG? I can't remember.

Also, some of my best CD's are in the car. I am on withdrawal. I don't know why I left them in there.

Also, on my old car I can't find the clock or the speedometer any more. I keep looking up to see what time it is. I keep looking to the right to see how fast I'm going. I keep looking straight ahead to see how hot it is. At least I have stopped jamming my left foot onto the non-existent clutch.

I want my clutch back!

:smile:

Old 09-08-2005, 07:15 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
do you not have a digital speedo? that thing rocks. especially when i pass 6 different cops within a half hour that are sitting at a stop clocking people.

then again, i don't go more than 7 over, and that's PUSHING it.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 AM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Submerging a hot engine into cold water does not mean a cracked block. Go back and look at the picture I posted showing my Pathfinder submerged into a glacial river (glacier is a couple hundred feet to the right). This was not a one time deal either....we did it routinely, and always a hot motor into a glacial river. Never had a cracked block, and never heard of anyone else having one either.

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh.........

Last edited by dave; 09-08-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: remove quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
Submerging a hot engine into cold water does not mean a cracked block. Go back and look at the picture I posted showing my Pathfinder submerged into a glacial river (glacier is a couple hundred feet to the right). This was not a one time deal either....we did it routinely, and always a hot motor into a glacial river. Never had a cracked block, and never heard of anyone else having one either.

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh.........

Completely different motor from our MINIs...it's a truck motor... Kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 AM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Not apples and oranges at all. I watched many different type motors go through those rivers...including some cars. Aluminum and iron blocks are going to react the same regardless of what type vehicle they're installed in.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Moving from First Gear to Under Review.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:03 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Thread moved from UR to First Gear

A post from this thread has been removed for being in violation of the NAM site guielines (rule #2).
You're welcome to express your opinions, we just ask that you do it in a respectful way.

[returning to topic]

Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
n3nyongmini
4th Gear
Nice flatfender YYC...

CJ-2A

Originally Posted by YYC

Old 09-08-2005, 11:32 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BRG MINI
So what are the rules on breaking in an engine--don't go over a certain MPG? I can't remember.
Would you PLEASE read your owner's manual??!! Have you learned no lesson at all from this episode?

Old 09-08-2005, 11:42 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
Not apples and oranges at all. I watched many different type motors go through those rivers...including some cars. Aluminum and iron blocks are going to react the same regardless of what type vehicle they're installed in.

Hey - Then I guess our motors are poorly designed - or not designed to take that type of stress. Morristown MINI has seen several (sorry, don't know an exact number) cracked engine blocks due to folks driving through standing water deeper that the front grill/fog lights with hot motors. And that voids your warranty - damage to the motor isn't covered. That's what the techs there tell me. if you want to argue go call them.

- - m

Old 09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
BRG MINI
How many times do I have to say that the owner's manual is in the glovebox which is in the car which is in the shop which is not near me?

Can't I simply ask a question without getting attacked?

What is wrong with you people?

Goodbye.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
Would you PLEASE read your owner's manual??!! Have you learned no lesson at all from this episode?

Thank you!!! (I was the one that got censored by DiD )

- - m

Old 09-08-2005, 11:50 AM
eVal
6th Gear
How many times do I have to say that the owner's manual is in the glovebox which is in the car which is in the shop which is not near me?

Goodbye.

You can download the manual via Mini.com or go to Motoringfile here:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/10/...l_pdf_released

A search on 'break in' here would likely give you some info.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:49 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Sorry, I forgot. As someone else posted, it's online, too.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal

Goodbye.
BRG MINI, I apologize for the unkind attitude exhibited by so many in this thread.

According to the Owner's Manual, for the first 1200 miles, you should keep your revs under 4500 rpm and not drive over 95 mph. And be sure to vary your speed and gearing, too. I hope you have the chance to read this.

Hey, people....way to scare off a new NAM member! Where is the famous "sporting" and helpful MINI attitude? Jeez.....

Clover

Old 09-08-2005, 03:54 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mburchill36
Thank you!!! (I was the one that got censored by DiD )

- - m
It wasn't what you said... But how you said it... Your post was condescending and insulting. THAT'S why action was taken, not because you told anybody to read their manual... Heck you weren't the first person to say that, but you were the first one to be rude about it...

Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I apologize (to everyone). I forgot the manual was in the car; that was posted a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks!

I think they should give me a new car.
This post still bugs me, and I guess it predisposed me to assume laziness on this person's part.

Time for another self-imposed exile so I can chill out and stop being nasty to people.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:46 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
It wasn't what you said... But how you said it... Your post was condescending and insulting. THAT'S why action was taken, not because you told anybody to read their manual... Heck you weren't the first person to say that, but you were the first one to be rude about it...

You know, sometimes you need to use a little shock therapy. If the above person was so oblivious that they couldn't read their manual or "forgot" or 'pick-the-reason-here', etc., a little public flogging could actually be a favor to them in the long run. Kinda like a wake-up call. I mean, if I'm screwing up I expect my friends to say "hay dude - you're screwed up!!". You guys ought to know that. Sometimes you need to be cruel to be kind - especially with people (that at least on this thread) don't seem altogether with it.

I've been visiting this site for over two years and haven't been rude to anyone (well, almost ) in the past and in fact have contributed to threads and tried to help many who have had questions and offered my encouragement.

- - m

Quick Reply: My Mini Almost Drowned